Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 29, 2021, 09:31:03 PM
;D You've always been nice to me, Gurn. When I get into Haydn (which I'm sure will be at some point), you'll be the guy I come to for recommendations. 8) Although, surprisingly, I have more Haydn in my collection than I initially thought.

Truth to tell, that you have any Haydn might be a surprise to some people here.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Florestan

Quote from: JBS on December 30, 2021, 08:35:24 AM
Truth to tell, that you have any Haydn might be a surprise to some people here.

Well, yes, more Haydn than John initially thought is probably one CD.  ;D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Karl Henning

;D You've always been nice to me, Gurn. When I get into Haydn (which I'm sure will be at some point), you'll be the guy I come to for recommendations. 8) Although, surprisingly, I have more Haydn in my collection than I initially thought.

Gurn's the Haydn guy for us all. Just sayin'.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

greg

Quote from: Irons on December 29, 2021, 08:41:26 AM
I don't know, but maybe an online persona is more unvarnished and basic then the multitude of elements that make a real one?
Yeah, it can be- just because the potential is there. It's kind of like how various people have signatures that are wildly different from their handwriting. Usually real life is more important, more high stakes to others, so publicly they can act like their persona/signature/mask, while the ones either closest to them (since it's hard to keep the mask on 24/7) or furthest from them (in other words, unable to negatively affect them) will see their true handwriting/unmasked character.

An acquisition of power also serves as a test of character. It's all just a matter of how much you are filtering, and to who. If all of a sudden your power dynamics change and you are more powerful than others, good people won't change how they act. It's why observing how someone treats a waiter can be a useful observation- it's a rare glimpse into how a person would treat others if they had power, even if in their life they are mostly powerless in their life.

So that's why it would be hard to say someone like M Forever is a good person. People that feel the need to bring others down have an overattachment to needing to feel admired, but without the means to be able to satisfy their emotional requirements for that- in other words, narcissism/unhealthy enneagram 3's. (i think usually that's caused/exacerbated by overly strict parents, right?)

That's all probably very obvious stuff already, just my thoughts.

edit:
one more small thought... filters aren't necessarily all bad, family and workplace might require PG rating speech, while close friends/online forums can be PG-13 or R rating speech. This is pretty much my only filter.  ;D
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Karl Henning

Quote from: greg on December 30, 2021, 09:07:07 AM
one more small thought... filters aren't necessarily all bad ....

No, indeed.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Probably I'm what my teachers back in the '60's used to refer to as 'street angel, home devil  >:D '.  I make a point to be as nice as I can to everyone, especially when it is important to try and influence them in some way. I have been places where the Mods actually tried to rule by nastiness, and they were abject failures.  I always said I wouldn't be that way in that position, so it won't do to fail myself. The other mods are fortunate to have me as one of them, or I would be a major headache.  :D :D

Despite the credit wanting to be spread out over a broader area, I have to say that Haydn really was the father of what went on to become Classical & Romantic Era Music. All of the composers that you love would be in the first rank of those proclaiming that. This has been true since relatively early on in his career. So one day you will want to discover more of his music. Most of the devices he invented have been used by others for 250 years since he did that, so they won't sound new to you, but put yourself back in his time period and you will realize you never heard anything remotely like Symphony #45, for example. I know you'll come around one day. :)

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 30, 2021, 08:50:03 AM
Gurn's the Haydn guy for us all. Just sayin'.

I am also pleased that to whatever extent I have influenced at least a few people into discovering Haydn for themselves. It is very gratifying.  :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Elgarian Redux

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 30, 2021, 10:26:20 AM
I am also pleased that to whatever extent I have influenced at least a few people into discovering Haydn for themselves.

It was largely because of you, Gurn, that I embarked some years ago on listening to all the Haydn symphonies. I was looking for different ways of getting exercise on inclement days, and I settled on walking up and down stairs, while listening to a different Haydn symphony each day (portable player placed at top of stairs).

Gosh, it was a lot of stairs. But he kept me going! (And no jokes, please, about Haydn's music being pedestrian.)

steve ridgway

Thank you all for your advice and company but I've now found plenty of music I enjoy and know where to look for more. I realise I don't have the musical knowledge to be able to contribute anything useful and in considering my New Year's resolutions have decided to stay off all the Internet forums and focus on paying full attention to and becoming thoroughly absorbed in my various interests rather than merely talking about them. So I wish you all the best for 2022.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: steve ridgway on December 31, 2021, 05:09:37 AM
Thank you all for your advice and company but I've now found plenty of music I enjoy and know where to look for more. I realise I don't have the musical knowledge to be able to contribute anything useful and in considering my New Year's resolutions have decided to stay off all the Internet forums and focus on paying full attention to and becoming thoroughly absorbed in my various interests rather than merely talking about them. So I wish you all the best for 2022.
I hope that you don't stay away for good from here as I always enjoy reading about what you are listening to; it's helped to expand my world--particularly regarding more contemporary music.  I do understand though your desire to spend more time listening/doing vs. typing however.

Wishing you the best for not just the New Year but for your further explorations and life in general.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Florestan

Although I will miss you, I wish I could to the same.  :D

Anyway, I wish you a Happy New Year too and hope that at some point in time you'll come back, if only to say Hello, I'm back:D

André

Quote from: Elgarian Redux on December 31, 2021, 02:52:10 AM

It was largely because of you, Gurn, that I embarked some years ago on listening to all the Haydn symphonies. I was looking for different ways of getting exercise on inclement days, and I settled on walking up and down stairs, while listening to a different Haydn symphony each day (portable player placed at top of stairs).

Gosh, it was a lot of stairs. But he kept me going! (And no jokes, please, about Haydn's music being pedestrian.)

Well, Haydn is renowned for his 'walking themes'...  :D

aligreto

I think that you do yourself an injustice. You have contributed more than you realise.  ;)
Anyway, we respect your decision. Best of luck.

bhodges

Adding my thanks to those of others, and hope you will pop in now and then. Many of your posts make me smile, like those old DG Avant Garde covers. That said, I completely empathize with finding a better balance between listening -- and reporting on it. In any case, be well, and may your ears be even happier in 2022.

--Bruce

foxandpeng

Sorry to hear this. Purely selfishly,  of course. Always good to read your posts.

I've been glad to be more involved this year, and have felt that my very obvious ignorance has been slightly reduced as a result.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Madiel

The world shows that knowledge is not a prerequisite for contributions on the internet, but you have more than enough knowledge to make contributions.

All the best wishes.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on December 31, 2021, 12:05:28 PM
The world shows that knowledge is not a prerequisite for contributions on the internet, but you have more than enough knowledge to make contributions.

All the best wishes.

Hear, hear!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Elgarian Redux on December 31, 2021, 02:52:10 AM

I'm really delighted to hear that, ER. To me, Haydn is one of those composers who may need an introduction because he has been treated so poorly since his death, but once you hear the music, he easily carries the day on his own. I take him along on my morning 5 miles most days. Puts a spring in my step. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

An hiatus is often a welcome respite, and leads to your returning refreshed in mind and spirit. Despite us not engaging in frequent conversation, I have read many of your posts and know we are losing a valuable member. Please don't let it be forever!  :)

8)

steve ridgway

Thank you all for your very kind comments. I'm currently reading The Rest Is Noise and exploring avant-garde composers of the early 20th Century. I still want to concentrate on that rather than spend too much time on forums, but was just killing myself laughing at this and knew you'd enjoy it. Maybe I do know a little more than some people. :laugh:

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA