Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Hi all! Just wanted to pop in and say hello since I haven't been active here over the past few weeks. I've been busy studying and performing at a summer music festival lately, and in a few weeks I'll be resuming my graduate studies. I'll try to make more of an effort to post here in the coming weeks, so apologies for my absence! :)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

aligreto

Quote from: kyjo on August 02, 2022, 01:58:34 PM
Hi all! Just wanted to pop in and say hello since I haven't been active here over the past few weeks. I've been busy studying and performing at a summer music festival lately, and in a few weeks I'll be resuming my graduate studies. I'll try to make more of an effort to post here in the coming weeks, so apologies for my absence! :)

Try not to be too much of a stranger, Kyle.
Your contributions are valuable here.
Keep us posted, at least, on your progress in your career.
Best of luck to you in the future!
:)

Karl Henning

Remind me what grad program you pursue, Kyle?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

André

Quote from: aligreto on August 02, 2022, 02:15:55 PM

Very sweet. + 1

bhodges

It's good to get off social media now and then. And especially with good things happening! No apologies needed, sounds like you're having a great summer, and you're welcome here whenever you choose to pop in.

--Bruce

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on August 02, 2022, 02:15:55 PM
+1
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Mirror Image

This will be my final post on GMG and I just want to thank everyone here who has showed me kindness and, most of all, understanding. I deleted my Facebook a day or so ago, but I won't delete my account here.

To be even more direct, I'm not going to be on a forum when a certain member here who I looked up to and I thought was a friend is a regular contributing member here. Why not just put this member on ignore? Well, because the ignore function doesn't even do what it's supposed to do. Anyway, it's just easy to leave and let him have his way, because there's nothing I can say or do that will change such immaturity. Life's too short for that shit.

I WILL NOT BE BACK AND I WILL NOT ANSWER ANY MORE POSTS HERE OR PRIVATELY. I'll simply post on another forum where I'm actually respected and not treated as some kind of ingrate because I have a different political view.

Take care everyone!

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 04, 2022, 08:29:38 PM
This will be my final post on GMG and I just want to thank everyone here who has showed me kindness and, most of all, understanding. I deleted my Facebook a day or so ago, but I won't delete my account here.

To be even more direct, I'm not going to be on a forum when a certain member here who I looked up to and I thought was a friend is a regular contributing member here. Why not just put this member on ignore? Well, because the ignore function doesn't even do what it's supposed to do. Anyway, it's just easy to leave and let him have his way, because there's nothing I can say or do that will change such immaturity. Life's too short for that shit.

I WILL NOT BE BACK AND I WILL NOT ANSWER ANY MORE POSTS HERE OR PRIVATELY. I'll simply post on another forum where I'm actually respected and not treated as some kind of ingrate because I have a different political view.

Take care everyone!
Very sorry to hear this John.
Thank you for your extraordinary generosity towards me.
Online forums can bring out the worst (and best) in people.
I hope that we keep in touch somehow.
All good wishes
Jeffrey
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 04, 2022, 08:29:38 PM

Take care everyone!
Quote from: vandermolen on August 04, 2022, 10:05:57 PM
Very sorry to hear this John.
Thank you for your extraordinary generosity towards me.
Online forums can bring out the worst (and best) in people.
I hope that we keep in touch somehow.
All good wishes
Jeffrey

+1
I'm very sorry to learn that and I hope there's still a chance you'll come back one day; anyway, thank you for everything and for all the good musical suggestions you gave me.
All the best and take care!
Ilaria
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

SimonNZ

???

I'm looking at MI's recent posts and not seeing any blow out political argument.

Hope this just looks like a moments fancy after a good night's sleep.

Que

I'd like to point out that if there are any issues - with other members or with the ignore function - we moderators would like to know. We cannot see what's going on behind the scenes via PMs.

Madiel

Well, this is sad.

It is only a short time ago that I actively persuaded John to stay after someone was shockingly horrible to him. I feel I can say that publicly in the circumstances.

I've no idea what has happened this time around, but it's thoroughly disappointing to see someone who was clearly here to talk about music being driven away over something other than music.

I do hope he comes back one day, though I also understand that it might be difficult.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

MusicTurner

I don't really know what has happened, but hope that he'll turn up, being a significant & informed contributor here.

Florestan

Quote from: MusicTurner on August 05, 2022, 02:34:21 AM
I don't really know what happened, but hope that he'll turn up, being a significant & informed contributor here.

+ 1
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

DavidW

I read a book called Digital Minimalism and tried to limit my time a bit on this forum, completely cut off Reddit and YouTube, and switch to having the Times delivered to my Nook instead of trawling news feeds.

When MI also backed off like me, I actually thought he was doing the same thing!  Whatever you think of MI's bizarre love/fetish for all modern music ;D... it is not a good thing for the most active poster in the community to no longer feel welcome.  I hope he returns so we can get back to fighting over Gielen vs Boulez in Mahler.  I might go to the other forum sometime and tell him how my Aho adventure has been going.

As of my time here thanks to MI and friends I have discovered or rediscovered
Aho
Tubin
Pettersson
Martinu
The Dux recordings of Penderecki
... and many more!

Iota

Wish you luck, MI, whether you decide to come or go. Thanks for some interesting pointers along the way.

classicalgeek

I'm saddened to read about John leaving - I hope he reconsiders after some time away. Our tastes in music largely overlap, and he has given me countless tips along the way for composers and works to explore - and I can see I'm far from the only one who has benefitted from his presence here!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Karl Henning

Quote from: Que on August 05, 2022, 01:23:32 AM
I'd like to point out that if there are any issues - with other members or with the ignore function - we moderators would like to know. We cannot see what's going on behind the scenes via PMs.

FWIW, I have had no trouble with the Ignore function.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Iota on August 05, 2022, 11:24:05 AM
Wish you luck, MI, whether you decide to come or go.

+ 1
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA