Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Hi John - sorry to see you go - there aren't many GMGers near me geographically so have enjoyed out discussions of local geography - will miss your help when I sort out my collection for advice on culling and adding!  8)

Good luck down in Georgia and hope that you sort out the issues mentioned - of course 'never say never' - many of us would like to see you back.  Dave :)

bhodges

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 05, 2022, 11:59:19 AM
FWIW, I have had no trouble with the Ignore function.

And thank you for that. After a few inquiries lately, I wasn't sure whether it was working. And just to reiterate: we rely on reports from others. The moderators have no idea if it's working, since we are not allowed to put anyone on "Ignore." (Blessing or curse?  8) )

--Bruce

Madiel

I certainly HAVE had trouble with the ignore function, which was fixed as recently as last week.

After malfunctioning for years. I did report the malfunction initially but in hindsight I didn't report it to the right channel.

What worries me now is wondering whether John was one of the people it was malfunctioning for, and no-one told him about the fix like they told me.

Some readers will understand.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

bhodges

Quote from: Madiel on August 05, 2022, 02:31:18 PM
I certainly HAVE had trouble with the ignore function, which was fixed as recently as last week.

After malfunctioning for years.

Thank you. I will send another note to Rob. (Granted, he may or may not be able to do much about it -- and may or may not be around or have the time to do so -- but he should definitely know.)

--Bruce

Madiel

Quote from: Brewski on August 05, 2022, 02:34:02 PM
Thank you. I will send another note to Rob. (Granted, he may or may not be able to do much about it -- and may or may not be around or have the time to do so -- but he should definitely know.)

--Bruce

I doubt he can do anything about it, the particular quirk was probably just a limitation of the software.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Madiel on August 05, 2022, 02:31:18 PM

After malfunctioning for years. I did report the malfunction initially but in hindsight I didn't report it to the right channel.

What worries me now is wondering whether John was one of the people it was malfunctioning for, and no-one told him about the fix like they told me.

What is so mysterious about this "fix" that it can't be referred to? Was it about not being able to ignore a user whose name itself had quotes in it?

The obvious limitation of the ignore feature is that it only ignores the text of posts by the ignored user and you will still see that the ignored user has posted, and you will see the ignored user's text when it is quoted by a non-ignored user. I find the sites ignore function to be of limited use and I have spent years cultivating a mental ignore function.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Madiel

The "mystery" as you put it is simply that it's very hard to know what is okay to say publicly about some of this stuff.

Not least because some of what WAS said publicly was deleted by moderators. Some (not all) of our moderators frankly seem more interested in sweeping problems under the carpet rather than solving them. I express my appreciation to those who do aim to address problems rather than suppress them.

foxandpeng

Quote from: Madiel on August 05, 2022, 07:57:06 PM
... it's very hard to know what is okay to say publicly about some of this stuff.

I'm sad that John has decided to step out. I will miss his enthusiasm for music and the warmth of his dealings with me, both publicly and via IM. I know he isn't universally appreciated, and understand fully why that is the case. Sometimes his posts make me wince, and at others his self-reflective honesty and kindness surprise me. I am disappointed to lose his contact and contribution.

I don't enjoy conflict. Recent weeks and the tone of some of the GMG threads have left me feeling sad - to the point that I've returned simply to reading rather than participating.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Madiel

Quote from: foxandpeng on August 06, 2022, 12:40:08 AM
I'm sad that John has decided to step out. I will miss his enthusiasm for music and the warmth of his dealings with me, both publicly and via IM. I know he isn't universally appreciated, and understand fully why that is the case. Sometimes his posts make me wince, and at others his self-reflective honesty and kindness surprise me. I am disappointed to lose his contact and contribution.

I don't enjoy conflict. Recent weeks and the tone of some of the GMG threads have left me feeling sad - to the point that I've returned simply to reading rather than participating.

And see, this makes ME sad, because I really enjoy your explorations of music.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Madiel on August 06, 2022, 02:57:34 AM

+ 1
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

premont

Quote from: Madiel on August 06, 2022, 02:57:34 AM

+ 2
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Florestan

I cannot understand why a GMG member should leave out because another GMG member is a jerk. Heck, the world at large is full of jerks --- namely, for anything one states, there is at least one person who takes it as a personal offense --- I couldn't care less about it --- if we cared about everything we said then we should shut up once and for all lest we offend somebody --- let's just close down GMG for good.

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Florestan

Quote from: foxandpeng on August 06, 2022, 12:40:08 AM
I don't enjoy conflict.

Avoiding conflict is the easiest thing online. Just don't reply to any post you find offensive.  ;)

Honestly, easier said than done.  :D :D :D

The new erato

Quote from: Florestan on August 06, 2022, 09:32:43 AM
I cannot understand why a GMG member should leave out because another GMG member is a jerk. Heck, the world at large is full of jerks --- namely, for anything one states, there is at least one person who takes it as a personal offense --- I couldn't care less about it --- if we cared about everything we said then we should shut up once and for all lest we offend somebody --- let's just close down GMG for good.

Agree.

Karl Henning

Andrei, your in box is full.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Florestan

Madiel

Some jerks mean more than others.

aligreto

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 04, 2022, 08:29:38 PM
This will be my final post on GMG and I just want to thank everyone here who has showed me kindness and, most of all, understanding. I deleted my Facebook a day or so ago, but I won't delete my account here.

To be even more direct, I'm not going to be on a forum when a certain member here who I looked up to and I thought was a friend is a regular contributing member here. Why not just put this member on ignore? Well, because the ignore function doesn't even do what it's supposed to do. Anyway, it's just easy to leave and let him have his way, because there's nothing I can say or do that will change such immaturity. Life's too short for that shit.

I WILL NOT BE BACK AND I WILL NOT ANSWER ANY MORE POSTS HERE OR PRIVATELY. I'll simply post on another forum where I'm actually respected and not treated as some kind of ingrate because I have a different political view.

Take care everyone!

I have not been posting on GMG for a few days so I am coming late to this situation. This is most regrettable.

It would seem that we have yet another casualty on our music thread as a result of "political differences" which makes this loss all the more lamentable.

It is not clear from John's post whether the "ignore" issue is on Facebook or on GMG.

If it is on GMG, there have been issues in the past with the "ignore" function here on GMG. However, this issue has recently been resolved and one can now "ignore" any member if they so wish. If John feels that the issue is here on GMG I would encourage him to contact our moderators to discuss the grievance. I can vouch that he will receive a speedy and fair response to any grievance that he might have. In my experience the moderator to be approached must be open to the grievance and specifics of that grievance must be cited, to be fair, along with a possible solution. The discussion is certainly worth entering into, John.

One should never leave this or any other forum for fear of being bullied.

There may, of course, be two sides to this story. We do not know the facts of the case here, to be fair. However, I strongly believe that bullies should be called out for what they are. There should be a zero tolerance for these faceless cowards who hide behind internet anonymity. As others have alluded to above, John [Mirror Image] is too valuable an asset to this forum to lose because of [perceived] bullying.

Perhaps John will take a Time Out, Reflect and Return in due course. I also certainly hope that he will.

kyjo

Quote from: aligreto on August 02, 2022, 02:15:55 PM
Try not to be too much of a stranger, Kyle.
Your contributions are valuable here.
Keep us posted, at least, on your progress in your career.
Best of luck to you in the future!
:)

Thank you very much, aligreto! :)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 02, 2022, 02:36:37 PM
Remind me what grad program you pursue, Kyle?

I am now pursuing my MM in Cello Performance at Indiana University Bloomington. :)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff