Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on September 28, 2022, 01:26:57 PM
there is evidence to suggest that Karl might be one of the causes of MI leaving in the first place.

Where is that evidence? Please adduce it for us all to ponder it.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Madiel on September 28, 2022, 01:26:57 PM
Yeah. See, this is the kind of thing of thing that is underlying the commentary. Smart little jokes, and chuckles from Karl when there is evidence to suggest that Karl might be one of the causes of MI leaving in the first place.

Just stop.

MI has made more than 60,000 posts here. I feel bad that a person to whom this site was obviously important feels so alienated that he feels he has to leave.

But the person responsible for MI leaving is MI.

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 04, 2022, 08:29:38 PM
...I'm not going to be on a forum when a certain member here who I looked up to and I thought was a friend is a regular contributing member here. ...

Just because MI wants someone to be his friend doesn't mean that person (on whose identity you presume to speculate) is required to be MI's friend and can be held responsible for MI's departure.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Madiel

I didn't say he had to be John's friend. But neither does he have to take what seems to be a kind of satisfaction in John's departure. For one thing it doesn't suit Karl's otherwise genial personality.

The same goes for everyone else. There is a distinct tone in some quarters in mentioning that MI is still gone that people can't quite believe their fortune has persisted.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on September 29, 2022, 02:07:29 AM
Where is that evidence? Please adduce it for us all to ponder it.

There's a thread where John was upset when he worked out that he was on the ignore list. I'm not in a position to hunt it down right now.

I'm not suggesting moral fault. I am just saying that the relationship between two of them, or rather the lack of one, was something that was upsetting John significantly at the time.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on September 29, 2022, 03:14:41 AM
There's a thread where John was upset when he worked out that he was on the ignore list. I'm not in a position to hunt it down right now.

I'm not suggesting moral fault. I am just saying that the relationship between two of them, or rather the lack of one, was something that was upsetting John significantly at the time.

MI stated that he left because of a political divergence he had on Facebook with another GMG member whom he considered a friend. Who that GMGer might be it's a matter of speculation into which I would not venture as it's none of my business and I have no interest in knowing it for sure. I just recall that earlier this year MI had a public divergence on GMG with a member other than Karl, but it wasn't political at all and both parties eventually agreed to drop the whole matter as being ultimately childish. MI rarely disclosed his political views and when he did he came out as a moderate and a centrist. I really can't picture him engaged in bitter political controversies, but life is full of surprises.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Brian

Mirror Image was a bully, a loudmouth, and a homophobe. He also struggled with mental health issues and frequently followed up his worst attacks on other GMG members by saying that he had forgotten to take medication. He was also a widely-listened person who was a tremendous resource about various recordings and obscure repertoire. And he was generous with his time and attention.

I have refrained from discussing his departure since it took place. Both because it seems tasteless, and because I expect him back at any moment. ( ;D )

But we might as well say three things:
(1) Given his contributions and his character, it is natural to have mixed feelings. I do. I'm glad certain discussions can take place without him loudly repeating ad nauseam that he disapproves of those discussions. I'm glad he isn't replying to me telling me I'm "wrong" to like or dislike something. I also frequently wish I could ask him about a particular recording or see if he thinks a certain obscure composer is worthwhile, or wish he was around to read my reports on new releases that he would like.

(2) It is frivolous to blame anyone else for his choices and actions, and rude to hunt for a person to blame and expect them to issue a statement like a politician.

(3) I hope that MI finds the help he needs, whatever form it may take, to lead a happier life and have healthier relationships with other people. He made me sad more than he made me mad. May he grow, find support, gain perspective, and flourish.

Florestan

Quote from: Brian on September 29, 2022, 08:19:53 AM
Mirror Image was a bully, a loudmouth,

I'm not so sure about the first part. Loudmouth be certainly was sometimes, so he could have seemed to you or others who didn't know him well as a bully, but I didn't perceive him this way, especially since when admonished he was rather quick in acknowledging his bad behaviour and apologizing for it.

Quoteand a homophobe.

I humbly ask you to produce the evidence for that claim.

QuoteHe also struggled with mental health issues and frequently followed up his worst attacks on other GMG members by saying that he had forgotten to take medication.

I really don't recall any instance of this, but you are much younger than me so your memory might be much better than mine. Please refresh mine: where did he say that?

Traverso

With increasing amazement I read what is being said here, to be honest I find it a bit distasteful to talk about a currently absent person in this way.
Just my thoughts .

Madiel

As a gay man I have zero recollection of ever thinking he was a homophobe.

prémont

Quote from: Traverso on September 29, 2022, 12:16:01 PM
With increasing amazement I read what is being said here, to be honest I find it a bit distasteful to talk about a currently absent person in this way.
Just my thoughts .

Two souls - one thought.

I was just about thinking of writing a similar post.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Symphonic Addict

I do miss John's contributions, but I find his leaving disconcerting because of a person's attitude. He and anybody shouldn't care for what others say or think. Hopefully he'll come back sooner than later.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

DavidW

Quote from: Madiel on September 28, 2022, 09:08:24 AM
I'm sure you are. I'm less sure about some other people's feelings on the matter.

I miss his presence.  He led me to some great listening off the beaten track in the 20th century.

DavidW

Anyway I'm sorry for bringing it up, I wasn't expecting... this.

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on September 29, 2022, 03:43:45 PM
Anyway I'm sorry for bringing it up, I wasn't expecting... this.

NOBODY expects ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

JBS

I think MI's presence has an impact in expanding everyone's musical horizons. I do note that the Purchases Today thread is not as busy as it was

Meanwhile, does anyone know of a way to contact Andre outside GMG?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Madiel

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on September 29, 2022, 05:38:03 PMMeanwhile, does anyone know of a way to contact Andre outside GMG?

I thought I might have his e-mail address, but in that I appear to be mistaken.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Spotted Horses

Quote from: JBS on September 29, 2022, 05:38:03 PMMeanwhile, does anyone know of a way to contact Andre outside GMG?

The default forum setting is to send an email when a user receives a PM, so sending a GMG PM is probably equivalent to emailing. Of course we don't know if Andre has disabled this setting. I wonder if anyone has sent Andre a PM.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Spotted Horses

Quote from: JBS on September 29, 2022, 05:38:03 PM
I think MI's presence has an impact in expanding everyone's musical horizons. I do note that the Purchases Today thread is not as busy as it was

I don't think the numbers support that.

This last week there were 21 posts on the Purchases thread. The prior week there were 48. That averages to about 34 posts per week. I picked a random week in July before MI left, there were 31, of which 6 were by MI himself, leaving 25 by everyone else. If there are fewer posts on the purchases thread I'd say it's because MI made 20% of the posts and those posts are now gone.

MusicTurner

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 29, 2022, 03:03:54 PM
Two souls - one thought.

I was just about thinking of writing a similar post.

Agree, actually an intensified amount of bad vibes on the forum recently.

Now, what could possibly be a source for it.