Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

I just heard from André :)
He is fine but busy with other things at the moment and wanted me to reassure you that he is ok.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SonicMan46

Quote from: vandermolen on October 01, 2022, 05:05:59 AM
He is fine but busy with other things at the moment and wanted me to reassure you that he is ok.

Thanks for the news!  Dave  :)

Spotted Horses

Busy?  What could be more important than GMG?
:laugh:
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

ritter

Good to hear! He's missed, and we hope to welcome him back soon...

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

JBS

Excellent!

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Symphonic Addict

Thanks for the good news, Jeffrey!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on September 29, 2022, 08:19:53 AM
Mirror Image was a bully, a loudmouth, and a homophobe. He also struggled with mental health issues and frequently followed up his worst attacks on other GMG members by saying that he had forgotten to take medication. He was also a widely-listened person who was a tremendous resource about various recordings and obscure repertoire. And he was generous with his time and attention.

I have refrained from discussing his departure since it took place. Both because it seems tasteless, and because I expect him back at any moment. ( ;D )

But we might as well say three things:
(1) Given his contributions and his character, it is natural to have mixed feelings. I do. I'm glad certain discussions can take place without him loudly repeating ad nauseam that he disapproves of those discussions. I'm glad he isn't replying to me telling me I'm "wrong" to like or dislike something. I also frequently wish I could ask him about a particular recording or see if he thinks a certain obscure composer is worthwhile, or wish he was around to read my reports on new releases that he would like.

(2) It is frivolous to blame anyone else for his choices and actions, and rude to hunt for a person to blame and expect them to issue a statement like a politician.

(3) I hope that MI finds the help he needs, whatever form it may take, to lead a happier life and have healthier relationships with other people. He made me sad more than he made me mad. May he grow, find support, gain perspective, and flourish.

I wasn't going to post again, but this one from you, Brian, has lured me back out of the sinkhole. Firstly, I'm rather perplexed that you believe me to have mental health issues and for you to, unknowingly, single this out as if it were a flaw in the first-place is, quite frankly, insulting. Those comments about me not taking my medication were only in relation to me being wrong and going off the deep-end with comments that I made to another member. I usually followed these comments up with an emoticon like a smiley face, a wink or a laugh or whatever. In other words, they were jokes. Secondly, you know absolutely NOTHING about me outside of this forum. We've never spoke or have done any face-to-face chatting like I have done with several members namely both Jeffries (Vandermolen and JBS). Yes, I can be a loudmouth and sure, I've been a bully from time-to-time, there's no denying that at all. In fact, the reality is I've always owned up to any of these times that I have been rude or "aggressive" to another member. This isn't someone who has mental health issues, this is someone that's human. Lastly, and most importantly, I'm just someone who's out there trying to share my love of music with people and I'm well-aware in doing so, things can get heated from time to time. The reason they do is because there's passion involved.

Anyway, I'm just trying to be a better person everyday and I can only suggest to you and anyone else to do the same and this decency involves not talking about someone who was absent from the forum and chose not to respond until now.

P. S. I was terribly saddened by also being leveled a 'homophobe', which I certainly am not. One of the people I admire in this world is homosexual. She has a great managerial job, she has a partner and she has two children that she and her partner are raising. This woman is a friend of mine and I admire her choices and, most importantly, her own friendship to me, which has always been about mutual understanding and respect. This person is someone I know within my own life and not some made up person or a person I've met online. I'm proud to know her and her "gay pride" or whatever you want to call it doesn't threaten me nor am I bothered by it --- in fact, I support it. I've made some jokes about homosexual people in the past, but the reality is there are good people in every walk of life and if you've shown me kindness, then I, in return, will show you the same. That's just the kind of person I am, but I've made mistakes and there are scars to show for them.

Mirror Image

It's good to be back posting and a "hello" to everyone here but I'm not going to post a lot, but I will peek my head in from time to time. Thanks to all who have wished me well. I'm still not sure how I feel about GMG right now given the negative air that I've breathed in from some of the members here whilst re-reading some of the posts on this thread...

Anyway, I'll see you all sometime down the road!

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 02, 2022, 09:07:18 PM
It's good to be back posting and a "hello" to everyone here but I'm not going to post a lot, but I will peek my head in from time to time. Thanks to all who have wished me well. I'm still not sure how I feel about GMG right now given the negative air that I've breathed in from some of the members here whilst re-reading some of the posts on this thread...

Although you're not going to spend much time here, it's wonderful to hear from you again, John, welcome back!  :)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Florestan

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on October 02, 2022, 10:16:19 PM
Although you're not going to spend much time here, it's wonderful to hear from you again, John, welcome back!  :)

+ 1.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

vandermolen

Ah, you are back again John! :)
I'm delighted to see that. I have missed your posts here and our contact.
Jeffrey (the British one)
:)

Traverso

Quote from: vandermolen on October 03, 2022, 01:10:35 AM

+1

JBS

Good to see you, John!

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Cato

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 02, 2022, 09:07:18 PM

Greetings Mirror Image!

Yes, it is grating to have somebody deliver a psychological précis on you from a few comments on Music or whatever!

So, welcome back!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

prémont

Quote from: vandermolen on October 03, 2022, 01:10:35 AM

+ 2
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

SonicMan46

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on October 02, 2022, 10:16:19 PM

Hi John - great to have you back - looking forward to your postings!  Dave :)