Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Thanks all for the welcome back! It's much appreciated. I do want to say that my posting will be minimal, so please understand that I'm not back on GMG full-time. I'm mainly going to be lurking since I'm deep in the throes of a jazz phase. Take it easy everyone!

prémont

Quote from: Cato on October 03, 2022, 04:17:20 AM
Yes, it is grating to have somebody deliver a psychological précis on you from a few comments on Music or whatever!

It might be interesting to know what the "experts" say about the rest of us. :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 02, 2022, 09:07:18 PM
It's good to be back posting and a "hello" to everyone here but I'm not going to post a lot, but I will peek my head in from time to time. Thanks to all who have wished me well. I'm still not sure how I feel about GMG right now given the negative air that I've breathed in from some of the members here whilst re-reading some of the posts on this thread...

Anyway, I'll see you all sometime down the road!

I for one miss your posts and prompts to explore unknown (or forgotten!) repertoire.  Remember one person's opinion is just that - one person's - no more no less.  The only "good" (smiley face, wink etc etc etc!!!) thing your absence has meant recently is that I've not been as tempted to spend money on Japanese remasters!

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 03, 2022, 06:37:59 AM
I for one miss your posts and prompts to explore unknown (or forgotten!) repertoire.  Remember one person's opinion is just that - one person's - no more no less.  The only "good" (smiley face, wink etc etc etc!!!) thing your absence has meant recently is that I've not been as tempted to spend money on Japanese remasters!
Yes! Like that Boult EMI VW Symphony set ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on October 03, 2022, 07:18:30 AM
Yes! Like that Boult EMI VW Symphony set ;D

Yup - that was one for sure!

Mirror Image

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 03, 2022, 06:30:50 AM
It might be interesting to know what the "experts" say about the rest of us. :)

I found Brian's post to be in shockingly bad taste. Unless he apologizes (which I don't see him doing), I see no real reason to ever speak to him again. His true colors and feelings about me were revealed within that post. As for Karl, well...he was certainly one of my main reasons for leaving. He treated me like dirt for the last couple of weeks before I left, which I believe he's still carrying some resentment for a comment I made to him years ago that was insulting, but I did apologize for it. Things just haven't been the same since that particular incident. He holds a grudge like you wouldn't believe.

Again, the ignore function only does so much --- it actually doesn't wipe the user out of existence, which is what it does on the Steve Hoffman Forum for example, which was a forum I frequented until I was banned for taking a thread off-topic, which is apparently a taboo there and even though several other members did the same thing, but I got singled out, which I'm used to, although I said nothing offensive nor was I insulting to any other member. Anyway, another case of silencing people who have a differing opinion I suppose.

foxandpeng

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 03, 2022, 06:56:15 PM

... the Steve Hoffman Forum for example, which was a forum I frequented ...

Without perpetuating any of the more personal elements of the conversation or getting involved in those, hopefully the jazz section of GMG will bring you some joy until you feel able to return to classical commenting! I miss your comments on contemporary or recent composers as I find them to be really illuminating :). I actually found the Steve Hoffman forum really poor and difficult to navigate, so never bothered there. One great thing about GMG, is the way the structure allows you to actually find what you are looking for. That one is awful :). Not that I like jazz at all - yuk!! But then, I am probably something of a Philistine. Not my thing at all. Why are so many forums so rubbish? I work in technology, and they need to fire their UX and UR people and hire some that actually went to some sort of educational facility beyond first grade :). Simple Machines really is a better design. Not perfect, but best of a bad bunch.

Hopefully going forward, we can all work harder at being kind - something I am passionate to improve in my personal life!
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on October 04, 2022, 01:18:56 AM
Hopefully going forward, we can all work harder at being kind - something I am passionate to improve in my personal life!
+1  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: foxandpeng on October 04, 2022, 01:18:56 AM
Without perpetuating any of the more personal elements of the conversation or getting involved in those, hopefully the jazz section of GMG will bring you some joy until you feel able to return to classical commenting! I miss your comments on contemporary or recent composers as I find them to be really illuminating :). I actually found the Steve Hoffman forum really poor and difficult to navigate, so never bothered there. One great thing about GMG, is the way the structure allows you to actually find what you are looking for. That one is awful :). Not that I like jazz at all - yuk!! But then, I am probably something of a Philistine. Not my thing at all. Why are so many forums so rubbish? I work in technology, and they need to fire their UX and UR people and hire some that actually went to some sort of educational facility beyond first grade :). Simple Machines really is a better design. Not perfect, but best of a bad bunch.

You have a good point about the Steve Hoffman Forum. It is rubbish and difficult to navigate, but there was a jazz thread I loved frequenting that had a lot of ongoing commentary in it. The non-classical section of GMG leaves much to be desired, but it'll do for now since there aren't many forums that have dedicated jazz threads. Talk Classical has a jazz thread, too and it's okay, but like here, there's just not a lot of activity in it. As for the last comment you made, I couldn't agree more, but I'm afraid this won't happen as some members have chosen to not think about what they write and, more importantly, not acknowledge that they're a part of the problem and not a part of the solution.

Spotted Horses

As the apostle Paul once said, a person will reap what he sows.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mirror Image

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 04, 2022, 08:49:00 AM
As the apostle Paul once said, a person will reap what he sows.

Indeed they will.

Brahmsian

Welcome back John (MI!)  8)

Mirror Image

Brahmsian

Quote from: foxandpeng on September 30, 2022, 07:16:28 AM

2230 new members is a real outlier, huh? One would think this would translate to more active members, but it hasn't at all. At all. Makes me wonder about the algorithms/glitches to which the site is subject. Meh. Who knows?

I would imagine that this would be 95% bots, n'est-ce pas?

foxandpeng

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 04, 2022, 11:22:06 AM

It is definitely too anomalous to be legit, methinks.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Cato

Quote from: foxandpeng on October 04, 2022, 12:17:39 PM

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 04, 2022, 11:22:06 AM

Yes!

Something similar happened some years ago, with hundreds if not thousands of visitors suddenly.  "Bots" was the explanation then.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Spotted Horses

Quote from: foxandpeng on October 04, 2022, 12:17:39 PM

You can view the new member list, sorted by date registered. There are only three members listed as registered this September, of which one posted twice. Unless bots register then delete their accounts the statistical collection must be flawed. There aren't thousands of members in the member list registered in September.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

JBS

It might be that the software's definition of new members is not our human definition
There's a category of membership termed "just joined". Those listed on the first page haven't joined recently--most seem to date from 2021, and one gives the dates as follows
Date Registered:
September 29, 2016, 12:38:03 PM
Local Time:
October 04, 2022, 06:19:53 PM
Last Active:
May 14, 2018, 08:35:54 AM

The dates on another listing are from 2017.

These members seem to have never posted. Maybe "just joined" means registered but never made a post?
But if there's enough of them, they may account for the "new members".

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

JBS

Never mind. I just realized the membership roster says we have 2414 members overall

Which means only 184 of us are not new members....
????

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Madiel

The previous explanations are more likely.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!