Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maestro267

Quote from: Florestan on March 18, 2024, 01:21:48 AMNo. There is currently one single "bickering" thread and the new forum software makes such threads easier than ever to ignore.

How? Cos I'd like to toss that cursed thread into the depths of Hell where it belongs.

Spotted Horses

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

DavidW

Quote from: Maestro267 on March 28, 2024, 06:53:24 AMHow? Cos I'd like to toss that cursed thread into the depths of Hell where it belongs.

Well I am tempted to post "I was just listening to Liszt today and what a genius he is compared to that idiot hack John Williams, if you could even call his scores music..." and then grab the popcorn and after WAM has an aneurysm and posts ten page long replies the other mods would have no choice but to close the thread and censure me.  Might be worth it! :P  8)

Florestan

Quote from: Maestro267 on March 28, 2024, 06:53:24 AMHow? Cos I'd like to toss that cursed thread into the depths of Hell where it belongs.

Click the "No alerts or emails" button (see the picture below for its location in page).
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

But then there's a chance @Luke will post, and the result will always be worth reading. It will make no impression on the OP, but it's for the benefit of them what can read.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Maestro267

I was kinda hoping the new forum software would make threads easier to ignore by having them not show up at all.

Maestro267

Quote from: Spotted Horses on March 28, 2024, 06:57:09 AMBy not opening it?

But it's There. It LOOOOOOMS like a spectre of death over the forum.

Madiel

Use the Updated Topics page and you will only see threads you're posting on.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

DavidW

Quote from: Maestro267 on March 28, 2024, 10:47:21 AMBut it's There. It LOOOOOOMS like a spectre of death over the forum.

If a civilized discussion about film music classification counts as spicy drama, then we are a pretty dull lot! :laugh:  >:D

Madiel

I just looked at the thread in question for the first time.

I didn't read all 25 pages.

Yeah. I've succeeded quite well at ignoring it. It's possible. It will continue.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan

Quote from: Maestro267 on March 28, 2024, 10:46:20 AMI was kinda hoping the new forum software would make threads easier to ignore by having them not show up at all.

Have you read my previous reply to you?

If you do what I advise you to do, you'll never again see that thread.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Herman

I keep thinking this topic is about people advertising they accidentally lost an arm or leg on the subway.

steve ridgway

Quote from: Herman on March 31, 2024, 01:01:42 AMI keep thinking this topic is about people advertising they accidentally lost an arm or leg on the subway.

Like the single Ricky's Hand by Fad Gadget :'( .

Cato

Did I miss something about Sergeant Rock?

For some reason I was wondering about him a few days ago: he has not written anything since Christmas.

I did a search under his name and "Sarge" but found nothing to explain his absence.

His account has him "last active" here about two weeks ago.

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Florestan

Quote from: Cato on April 09, 2024, 07:39:35 AMDid I miss something about Sergeant Rock?

For some reason I was wondering about him a few days ago: he has not written anything since Christmas.

I did a search under his name and "Sarge" but found nothing to explain his absence.

His account has him "last active" here about two weeks ago.

Probably taking a break from the internet, or at least from this forum --- a wise move if you ask me. Wish I could do the same.  ;D

DavidW

Quote from: Florestan on April 09, 2024, 08:07:45 AMProbably taking a break from the internet, or at least from this forum --- a wise move if you ask me. Wish I could do the same.  ;D

If you just ignore that one thread, there is plenty to enjoy on the forum.  The listening thread is still my favorite place here.  So much great music, so little time!

Florestan

Quote from: DavidW on April 09, 2024, 08:41:40 AMIf you just ignore that one thread, there is plenty to enjoy on the forum.  The listening thread is still my favorite place here.  So much great music, so little time!

Why, of course. I'm not talking about that specific thread, but about GMG in general. Admirable and enjoyable as it is, I spend way too much time online --- time that I could spend more wisely by effectively listening to music instead of talking about it, or by reading.  ;D

brewski

Quote from: DavidW on April 09, 2024, 08:41:40 AMIf you just ignore that one thread, there is plenty to enjoy on the forum.  The listening thread is still my favorite place here.  So much great music, so little time!

That's my favorite, too. There's something appealing about seeing nothing more than what people are listening to (and their comments, if they wish — or not). It's similar to those sites that show in real time what people are searching for online.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Cato

Amen! 😇

Quote from: Florestan on April 09, 2024, 08:07:45 AMProbably taking a break from the internet, or at least from this forum...

I hope nothing serious has happened, but you are most probably correct!  As I recall, Sarge is just a few years older than I am, i.e. past 39.  :o  ;)  So, time becomes very precious!

e.g. My doctor keeps sending me e-mails about signing into "MyChart," where one can obsess over one's medical bills and records.

I do not want to sign into MyChart, I do not want to register for it or anything else, I do not want to load an "App" (a term I loathe, abhor, despise, detest, and in general HATE more and more) for any reason, or anything else similar!

Because...I do now want to spend my 70's or 80's or any part of my future on dumb stuff!

Because...

Quote from: DavidW on April 09, 2024, 08:41:40 AMSo much great music, so little time!

Not to mention all sorts of other truly great things!  😇

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

I've reached out to Sarge via email. 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot