Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxandpeng

Welcome back, John.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on May 20, 2024, 02:35:16 PMI was delighted to log onto GMG today and see multiple posts by a certain "Mirror Image". ;) Welcome back, John, and please stick around this time! :)

Thank you, Kyle! It's great to see that you're still posting.
"What was great about the '50s is that, for one brief moment - maybe, say, six weeks - nobody understood art." ― Morton Feldman

Mirror Image

Quote from: foxandpeng on May 20, 2024, 03:42:02 PMWelcome back, John.

Thank you very much, @foxandpeng. I appreciate the warm welcome.
"What was great about the '50s is that, for one brief moment - maybe, say, six weeks - nobody understood art." ― Morton Feldman

Mirror Image

Quote from: steve ridgway on May 20, 2024, 11:28:34 AMThese are my favourites so far, I found the combination of poetry and music very evocative 8) .

These are two very fine performances. My only issue with Reiner's Das Lied stems from the audio quality. There are several passages where the sound becomes distorted. I own the hybrid SACD of it and I think the remaster really brought out the worse in it. A shame, too, because as I said, I like the performance very much. Maureen Forrester was a Mahler vocalist par excellence.

Mirror Image

I wonder what has happened to @North Star? His posting was always on sporadic, but he hasn't been active since December 2023. Also, I still lament the disappearance of @Dancing Divertimentian.

Mirror Image

I was browsing through the forum and was delighted to see the reemergence of @Luke. Glad to see you back posting! I miss our Martinů arguments. :D

Henk

Welcome back, John, also from me.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Henk on May 23, 2024, 02:42:33 PMWelcome back, John, also from me.

Thanks very much, Henk. 8) Oh and by the way, I'm most definitely NOT an alpha male. ;D

Henk

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 23, 2024, 02:46:17 PMThanks very much, Henk. 8) Oh and by the way, I'm most definitely NOT an alpha male. ;D

At least you kept looking after us for whatever reason.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Henk on May 23, 2024, 02:54:40 PMAt least you kept looking after us for whatever reason.

Sure, I peeked in on GMG from time to time. Anyway, no hard feelings. You can think about me however you wish. I'm done arguing with people on forums as it does absolutely nothing for anyone. Happy listening!

Henk

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 23, 2024, 02:56:35 PMSure, I peeked in on GMG from time to time. Anyway, no hard feelings. You can think about me however you wish. I'm done arguing with people on forums as it does absolutely nothing for anyone. Happy listening!

It was not meant as a negative qualification and it was just a thought and impression which I just impulsively posted.

Glad you don't mind. If you did I would have apologized.

Arguing here I also try to avoid. Just sharing thoughts without entering into discusion and quarel is much more productive and one has to adapt to the ethos here otherwise it makes no sense to anyone. And for me this is no problem, I like it.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Henk on May 23, 2024, 03:01:25 PMIt was not meant as a negative qualification and it was just a thought and impression which I just impulsively posted.

Glad you don't mind. If you did I would have apologized.

Arguing here I also try to avoid. Just sharing thoughts without entering into discusion and quarel is much more productive and one has to adapt to the ethos here otherwise it makes no sense to anyone.

Thanks, Henk. 8) I just want a clean slate with every member here.

Mirror Image

Another member I'm delighted to see return is @Christo. If only we can get @J.Z. Herrenberg to return as well.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 27, 2024, 06:03:21 PMAnother member I'm delighted to see return is @Christo. If only we can get @J.Z. Herrenberg to return as well.
Ah yes! The two Johan's  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 28, 2024, 12:03:49 PMWell, I'm going to take a hiatus from classical for awhile. I'll see you all around September or October.

That was quick.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

DavidW

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 29, 2024, 11:05:34 AMThat was quick.

It was about as fast as PaulB going from loving a cd to selling it with scorn... if you remember that poster, it has been awhile...

Todd

Quote from: DavidW on May 29, 2024, 11:07:41 AMIt was about as fast as PaulB going from loving a cd to selling it with scorn... if you remember that poster, it has been awhile...

If memory serves, that was that the same guy who could and would form opinions based on the brief audio samples (<=30 seconds) available all those years ago.  I could be misremembering the person, though.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

DavidW

Quote from: Todd on May 29, 2024, 11:24:35 AMIf memory serves, that was that the same guy who could and would form opinions based on the brief audio samples (<=30 seconds) available all those years ago.  I could be misremembering the person, though.

That is the one!  And he would keep changing his opinion.  He did send me a box set of Schnittke symphonies though, which I did enjoy and made me a fan (even though I usually stick to the string quartets).

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Todd on May 29, 2024, 11:24:35 AMIf memory serves, that was that the same guy who could and would form opinions based on the brief audio samples (<=30 seconds) available all those years ago.  I could be misremembering the person, though.

That was him, yes. Paul Best, from New Orleans, if I recall right.

Truth be told, I also used to form opinions based on 30 second samples. But I didn't think anyone else would be interested in those opinions.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

DavidW

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 29, 2024, 11:33:57 AMThat was him, yes. Paul Best, from New Orleans, if I recall right.

Truth be told, I also used to form opinions based on 30 second samples. But I didn't think anyone else would be interested in those opinions.

Thanks to streaming, sample listening is blissfully a thing of the past!