Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grazioso

Quote from: Dundonnell on October 27, 2011, 05:45:58 AM
Ok..let me be honest and make a confession ;D

After a two year break I returned here a couple of months ago and started a number of threads about lesser-known composers: the area I mainly dealt in when I was active between 2007 and 2009.
I hope/d through these to encourage some interest in these composers.

My threads on Boris Blacher got 4 replies, Wilfred Josephs 2, Hans Gal 5, Halvor Haug 7, Randall Thompson 7 and Paul von Klenau precisely zero. Some of these replies were actually from me responding to a
comment.

There comes a point when one begins to wonder whether it is actually worth posting at all about the sort of composers who interest me :( I-frankly-am not terribly interested in commenting about the 25th version
of a Mahler symphony which someone has bought....but that is just me ;D

Not just you :)

There is no shortage of comments, on the other hand, in the Havergal Brian thread.

Somewhat discouraged, I joined the "Unsung Composers" Forum where there is much more discussion of lesser-known composers. That is a rather more focussed forum obviously.

I don't want to leave GMG....for one(very important) thing I have made some very good friends here and have met several of them in person. On the other hand I am likely to be posting less and probably unlikely
to be starting threads :(

Well.........at least you have a response from someone who is contributing to the fall in numbers.

I feel you, so to speak. Please know, though, that I've read quite a few of your posts with interest but have had nothing of substance or originality to add and therefore have remained silent--no point posting just to hear the sound of my own voice. I've been trying to make a habit of only posting when I have something to say that might be interesting, might provoke some discussion, or at the very least might be funny or entertaining. A simple "I bought/listened to this" or "nice!" doesn't seem very interesting or educational to me.

I hope you do stick around and keep posting interesting things. Don't be discouraged by the occasional chirping crickets! If people like you gave up posting here, then the forum would likely devolve into a glorified chat room. Keep it smart, hip us to new things.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

bhodges

Quote from: Grazioso on October 27, 2011, 09:53:20 AM
I feel you, so to speak. Please know, though, that I've read quite a few of your posts with interest but have had nothing of substance or originality to add and therefore have remained silent--no point posting just to hear the sound of my own voice. I've been trying to make a habit of only posting when I have something to say that might be interesting, might provoke some discussion, or at the very least might be funny or entertaining. A simple "I bought/listened to this" or "nice!" doesn't seem very interesting or educational to me.

I hope you do stick around and keep posting interesting things. Don't be discouraged by the occasional chirping crickets! If people like you gave up posting here, then the forum would likely devolve into a glorified chat room. Keep it smart, hip us to new things.

I feel similarly. Often I'll read your posts (and others) with great interest, but don't feel the need to post unless I can add to the discussion. (Although people probably appreciate a "thanks for the good post" now and then.)

Plus, this board has gotten so large that frankly, it's difficult to keep up with all that's going on (for those of us who are a bit time-challenged lately)!

--Bruce

Opus106

Quote from: Grazioso on October 27, 2011, 09:53:20 AM
Not just you :)

He had the same things to say that I had in mind. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Mn Dave

Some of those who expound inordinately aren't as interesting as they think.

Not that I'm speaking of anyone present.  ;D

cilgwyn

After a two year break I returned here a couple of months ago and started a number of threads about lesser-known composers: the area I mainly dealt in when I was active between 2007 and 2009.

My threads on Boris Blacher got 4 replies, Wilfred Josephs 2, Hans Gal 5, Halvor Haug 7, Randall Thompson 7 and Paul von Klenau precisely zero. Some of these replies were actually from me responding to a
comment.

There comes a point when one begins to wonder whether it is actually worth posting at all about the sort of composers who interest me :( I-frankly-am not terribly interested in commenting about the 25th version

There is no shortage of comments, on the other hand, in the Havergal Brian thread.

Somewhat discouraged, I joined the "Unsung Composers" Forum where there is much more discussion of lesser-known composers. That is a rather more focussed forum obviously.

I don't want to leave GMG....for one(very important) thing I have made some very good friends here and have met several of them in person. On the other hand I am likely to be posting less and probably unlikely

Well.........at least you have a response from someone who is contributing to the fall in numbers.

I'm going to have to 'roll up my sleeves' and put up that 'Mathias' thread! :(
Joseph Holbrooke,the so called 'Cock-er-nee Wagner',he's another one!!!!
Not sure if I can add anything new or original to the Mahler debate,much as I enjoy his music! :( :(
But I prefer it here meeself! :)
Have to say that two replies to a thread about Wilfred Joseph is quite allot,considering he's not exactly a well known composer. If I posted a thread about the elusive Gaze Cooper I would be very pleased to have even one reply! In fact,with a Cameo cd,including a short piece of his, & rumours of a forthcoming recording of a Piano Concerto,I,or someone else, may,(hopefully soon) have reason to do so?
Dundonnells observation about the Havergal Brian thread reminded me of a rather sarcastic comment about Brian,some years ago,which (roughly) described Brian as the 'most overrated underrated,least neglect neglected composer' of all time'. As a regular contributor the the HB thread,I don't agree specifically with that statement,but I do,somewhat, understand the exasperation of the writer (this was written quite a few years ago when Bantock & his like were still just names in musty old books!).

Dundonnell

It is actually very flattering and pleasant to read most of these comments on my posts :) I shall pretend that Mn Dave's comment is not directed at me ;D

Actually, it is quite amusing and, of course, ironic to go from a situation where I was rather rudely and, in my opinion, very unfairly attacked on here as an apostle of tonal romanticism whose motivation was to
deter people from listening to atonal music to one in which I appear to be an apostle of 20th century modernism surrounded-on that other board-by devotees of late 19th century high romanticism ;D ;D

Since a number of members have, extremely kindly, said that they enjoyed reading about less well-known composers I shall continue-from time to time-to raise the 'odd name' ;D

Sorry, cilgwyn ;D

kishnevi

comment.

Part of that lack of response is probably due to those composers obscurity.  Of all the ones you just mentioned, I had heard of only one before reading your post--Gal, and that was because Jens had started to advocate on his behalf.  So I obviously would have nothing to contribute to the discussion. (To be honest, I don't even remember noting the threads you started, for which I apologize.)

As Cato and Erato mentioned, money and time constraints can do a number, and keep us from getting to know these lesser known composers; part of the fun of GMG is hearing about musicians who are new to us.  (If it wasn't for GMG, for example, I would never have heard of Havergal Brian.) As one of those people who almost qualifies for the 25 recordings of a Mahler symphony (I'm pretty sure I've topped 20 with the Second and Ninth)--well, you're probably right.  I've decided to concentrate for the next while on composers I'm not familiar with--primarily the period 1800-1850, but also later romantics, and lesser known Baroque composers.  My holdings of Wolf-Ferrari have gone from 0 to 3 in the last two weeks*, for example, and I'll be exploring further.  But it's members like you who make that exploration possible, even if I'm not openly involved in the discussions.

And I do have an idea which I hope to unveil rather soon which might please you along those lines--I was waiting for the forum upgrade and related issues to settle down before starting, but now there seems nothing in the way except a final runthrough with the blue pencil.

*and I may as well put in a good shout out here for CPO's recordings of his orchestral works, especially the concertos.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Cato on October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM
The previous topic with this title has no "Reply" button any longer, so I am starting a new one.

GMG Member "Anne" has been missing since the early summer: she liked opera quite a bit, and I was in contact with her now and then.

She also had, from what I could gather, emphysema from a bad decision made in her teenaged years, and also other ailments.  I have sent her a few messages, but no response, so I am wondering if she is in even worse condition.

Hi Cato - concerning Anne, I'm not sure what her current status may be?  We exchanged many PMs both related to her health issues (me being a physician) and also to our mutual interest in medical history books (actually she mailed me a copy of a book on William Osler that she had mistakenly bought twice, and I sent her a couple of radiology books that I had edited); in fact, my wife Susan (i.e. Harpo) was also in contact w/ her - then all communication seem to stop - would love to hear that she is still doing well but her lung problem was quite serious - Dave :)

cilgwyn

Quote from: Dundonnell on October 27, 2011, 04:57:36 PM
It is actually very flattering and pleasant to read most of these comments on my posts :) I shall pretend that Mn Dave's comment is not directed at me ;D

Actually, it is quite amusing and, of course, ironic to go from a situation where I was rather rudely and, in my opinion, very unfairly attacked on here as an apostle of tonal romanticism whose motivation was to
deter people from listening to atonal music to one in which I appear to be an apostle of 20th century modernism surrounded-on that other board-by devotees of late 19th century high romanticism ;D ;D

Since a number of members have, extremely kindly, said that they enjoyed reading about less well-known composers I shall continue-from time to time-to raise the 'odd name' ;D

Sorry, cilgwyn ;D

When I finally put up a neglected composer thread and I get one reply I'll be thinking of you,Dundonnell! :(
What about Holbrooke? Intriguing as I find the supposed 'Cockney Wagner',(particularly as a person) I'm never quite convinced by what I get to hear from the fruits of his toil and sweat! :o  But the music on the new Dutton cd was an unexpected delight. I really DID actually enjoy every note it! :)
Mathias,who has been criticised for being populistic and often a bit bland is another poor homeless sod without a thread. Yet,the new Somm cd of his first two piano concerto's has had a very good review in IRR. (But then they gave that horrid Y*** B**** cd a good review,too! :o )

Three replies each and I'll be on a b***** roll! ;D

cilgwyn

And,if I get 0 replies to an August von Bungert thread I'll be dead chuffed!!!!!
(Who he,ed?)

Mn Dave

Quote from: Dundonnell on October 27, 2011, 04:57:36 PM
I shall pretend that Mn Dave's comment is not directed at me...

Pretending is not necessary.  It was not directed at you, nor anyone in particular.

cilgwyn

It was directed at Spartacus!

cilgwyn

Brahmsian

Cato

Quote from: SonicMan46 on October 27, 2011, 07:05:49 PM
Hi Cato - concerning Anne, I'm not sure what her current status may be?  We exchanged many PMs both related to her health issues (me being a physician) and also to our mutual interest in medical history books (actually she mailed me a copy of a book on William Osler that she had mistakenly bought twice, and I sent her a couple of radiology books that I had edited); in fact, my wife Susan (i.e. Harpo) was also in contact w/ her - then all communication seem to stop - would love to hear that she is still doing well but her lung problem was quite serious - Dave :)

Many thanks for the information!  Yes, I think she had energy problems, and found even typing fatiguing.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Gurn Blanston

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot