Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Just as long as he doesn't become a permanent Bachafugitive.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Ever on the run from the laws of counterpoint . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

Helped by Peter Quint, no doubt.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Marc

I miss my fellow organ lover and Bach admirer premont.
He hasn't logged in for about 10 days, which is quite unusual.

I hope he's OK.
I sent him an e-mail, but no response so far.

Mirror Image

I haven't seen Kyle (Kyjo) for quite some time. I guess he was so crushed that I'm listening to Xenakis, Scelsi, Cerha, etc. that he has entered into a deep depression. :)

I can imagine him all hunched over in a corner of a room mumbling to himself "John will return to late-Romanticism..." over and over again. :P

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 11, 2013, 03:43:00 PM
I haven't seen Kyle (Kyjo) for quite some time.

His profile says "Last Active: Today, 5:18 PM"

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on November 11, 2013, 04:39:40 PM
His profile says "Last Active: Today, 5:18 PM"

Hmmm....I guess he's just lurking and not bothering to post. The poll station is quite empty without him. :)

petrarch

I'm listening to Xenakis, Scelsi, Cerha, etc.

You're into Cerha? Welcome to the klangkompositionen club! Better discuss this over in the proper thread.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Mirror Image

Quote from: petrarch on November 11, 2013, 05:21:16 PM
You're into Cerha? Welcome to the klangkompositionen club! Better discuss this over in the proper thread.

I am indeed! But, of course, I know so little of his music but I bought several recordings, so hopefully I'll have something half-way intelligent to say.  :)

Marc

Quote from: Marc on November 10, 2013, 11:02:01 AM
I miss my fellow organ lover and Bach admirer premont.
He hasn't logged in for about 10 days, which is quite unusual.

I hope he's OK.
I sent him an e-mail, but no response so far.

He's OK. :)
Internet conncection problems were/are the cause of his absence.
I think he will be back in about two weeks.

Wakefield

Quote from: Marc on November 12, 2013, 07:48:43 AM
He's OK. :)
Internet conncection problems were/are the cause of his absence.
I think he will be back in about two weeks.

Excellent!  :)

That is really a great news.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brahmsian

Opus106 (Navneeth) has now been away since Oct. 7th.  Miss him.  :(

Octave

I can imagine him all hunched over in a corner of a room mumbling to himself "John will return to late-Romanticism..." over and over again. :P

I liked Kyjo and enjoyed his spirited posts and benefited from more than few of his recommendations.  He seemed to have a good sense of humor about the rather execrable, pack-of-wolves, really pretty shameful treatment that he seemed to receive at GMG.  I guess I read a small percentage of his prolific number of posts, though; I'm assuming I just didn't read the posts of his that cleared the way for this treatment?  I admired the way he handled what really appeared to be widespread bullying and condescension....it usually seemed pretty gracious or at least affable, based on my random, unwilling sample of incidents. 
I hope he sticks around.

I, too, hope Nav returns to us soon.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Octave on November 12, 2013, 12:27:01 PM
I liked Kyjo and enjoyed his spirited posts and benefited from more than few of his recommendations.  He seemed to have a good sense of humor about the rather execrable, pack-of-wolves, really pretty shameful treatment that he seemed to receive at GMG.  I guess I read a small percentage of his prolific number of posts, though; I'm assuming I just didn't read the posts of his that cleared the way for this treatment?  I admired the way he handled what really appeared to be widespread bullying and condescension....it usually seemed pretty gracious or at least affable, based on my random, unwilling sample of incidents. 

I hope he sticks around.

I certainly didn't mind having Kyle around but one thing that did bug me about him was every time I made a post regarding a purchase I made with, and here's the important part, a composer he doesn't 'approve' of, then he would always leave a sad emoticon or some other thing indicating that he was unhappy with my purchase. I didn't mind the first couple of times, but it seemed like each time I posted a purchase in 'latest purchases' thread he would have some kind of reaction. Maybe he was just joking around around or was he being serious? Whatever the case may be, I got burned out of his constant replies with essentially the same kind of remark over and over again. I don't need anyone's approval about what I buy, but I always welcome comments regarding the music or the performances, but I don't need some broken record disapproving of my purchases every time I make a post. That's just not cool at all.

Other than this annoyance, I had no problems with him. I, too, hope he sticks around.

Wakefield

I always understood this thread as a place to express our sadness or maybe our concern because of a long or unusual absence of a GMGer... That's the reason why I feel a bit uncomfortable every time when is used to criticize an absent member.

I mean: It's not probably the best invitation to return, if that's the case.

I just wanted to say that. A comment in good faith, anyway. :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Brian

Gordo - more and more of your username is going missing! Soon you will just be "Go". Anyway, kyjo was here very recently, he just hasn't posted in a while. No need for worry, I think.

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on November 12, 2013, 05:29:06 PM
I rather felt it was the other way around, Octave.

There was a lot of long-lasting fallout and distrust from the episode when he created the "Unsung Composers" thread and a few people, notably Sforzando and I (and someone else - was it Scarpia?), started a philosophical discussion about the whole concept of unsung-ness and underrated-ness, and how to determine it. Unfortunately the result was that kyjo began a "joke" campaign of censoring "Unsung" claiming it was verboten.

It was a bit like the whole issue with 71dB and Elgar, except if 71dB had gone around jokingly mocking his own fondness for Elgar without external prompting. Live and let live; Kyle can and should continue to be a valuable resource for obscure composers - like helping me build a Herman Koppel playlist - and folks like me can indulge in our Beethoven nights, and we can all live in peace.

Wakefield

Quote from: Brian on November 12, 2013, 07:37:22 PM
Gordo - more and more of your username is going missing! Soon you will just be "Go".
I found it funny because Gordo is "fat" in Spanish.  :)
-- Voltaire

Brian

Quote from: Gordo on November 12, 2013, 07:47:08 PM
I found it funny because Gordo is "fat" in Spanish.  :)

Indeed. Here in Texas we have a doughnut shop called "Gourdough's" - for two reasons. One is gourmet + doughnut, but the other is because eating there makes you fat  ;D