Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Brian on November 12, 2013, 07:37:22 PM
Live and let live; Kyle can and should continue to be a valuable resource for obscure composers - like helping me build a Herman Koppel playlist - and folks like me can indulge in our Beethoven nights, and we can all live in peace.

That would make for a more edifying GMG - and more fun, too! :)

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Gordo on November 12, 2013, 07:47:08 PM
I found it funny because Gordo is "fat" in Spanish.  :)

By the way, err...fatty, that's one awesome avatar! :)

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

amw

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on November 12, 2013, 05:29:06 PM
I rather felt it was the other way around, Octave. It seemed to me he came on board with an attitude to spread the gospel of the "unknown composer" but not always benevolently. I'm not the overly sensitive type but more than once I felt the sting from him for daring to listen to "mainstream" classical.

He also had a habit of shrouding his own condescension in that typical "I was only joking, dude, chill out" manner. Which got old fast.
I've never really talked to Kyjo; there are definitely some things about his posts and personality that I find offputting and even grating, but that is my problem, not his. That said, I do enjoy reading his enthusiastic responses to music (like those of the other relative "newbies" with whom he's associated—madaboutmahler, Lisztianwagner, etc), which are a far cry from the more usual jaded GMG fare of comparing Mahler symphonies and Beethoven sonatas as though they were cars. If he were to start a blog with each entry showcasing a particular little-known work or composer, I for one would read it.

(Aren't we a nice bunch of people, talking about someone behind their back???)

That said he hasn't been on AMF either so I imagine he's just been busy and is planning to return to his more regular 20-a-day posting schedule when possible :P

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on November 12, 2013, 07:54:17 PM
Indeed. Here in Texas we have a doughnut shop called "Gourdough's" - for two reasons. One is gourmet + doughnut, but the other is because eating there makes you fat  ;D

Well done.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

The new erato

I'm not discussing Kyjo while he's not here, just welcoming him back!

kyjo

Hi guys, I'm back! Thanks to those of you who had kind things to say about me. :) I don't went to get into an argument with those who didn't, though. I have been absent from GMG from no other reason than that I have been extremely busy lately.

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 11, 2013, 03:43:00 PM
I haven't seen Kyle (Kyjo) for quite some time. I guess he was so crushed that I'm listening to Xenakis, Scelsi, Cerha, etc. that he has entered into a deep depression. :)

I can imagine him all hunched over in a corner of a room mumbling to himself "John will return to late-Romanticism..." over and over again. :P

;D

I do hope that you will return to late-romanticism, but I didn't go so far as to hunch in a corner and mumble to myself. ;) I apologize for my disapproving attitude to you exploring more "avant-garde" composers. I have absolutely no right to tell anyone what they should and shouldn't listen to. Since we're buddies, my "disapprovals" were half-joking, but I'll admit to being disappointed when you are getting composers I don't like. But that's my problem, not yours. :)

Brian

Quote from: kyjo on November 13, 2013, 05:15:08 PM
Hi guys, I'm back! Thanks to those of you who had kind things to say about me. :) I don't went to get into an argument with those who didn't, though. I have been absent from GMG from no other reason than that I have been extremely busy lately.

Hooray! Now let's talk about how awesome orfeo's Holmboe order was.

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on November 13, 2013, 05:19:28 PM
;D

I do hope that you will return to late-romanticism, but I didn't go so far as to hunch in a corner and mumble to myself. ;) I apologize for my disapproving attitude to you exploring more "avant-garde" composers. I have absolutely no right to tell anyone what they should and shouldn't listen to. Since we're buddies, my "disapprovals" were half-joking, but I'll admit to being disappointed when you are getting composers I don't like. But that's my problem, not yours. :)

All is forgiven and apology accepted, Kyle. Let's focus on composers we both like and want to talk about and forget about the ones that don't. I guess I shouldn't have said I'm 'leaving' late-Romanticism, because, for me, some of my favorite composers were late-Romantics, so I could never leave. My mind just gets into a different headspace sometimes and I tend to 'push aside' music that I love from time to time to focus on music that I've become intrigued by. Of course, my return is eminent and I'm about to change my avatar again! I'm going to go back to my Sibelius avatar. Goodness I LOVE his music. I own 18 cycles of his symphonies and I still feel this isn't 'enough'! ;) :D

Welcome back, BTW!

kyjo

Quote from: Brian on November 13, 2013, 05:37:23 PM
Hooray! Now let's talk about how awesome orfeo's Holmboe order was.

Yeah, anyone who likes Holmboe can be considered a homie of mine! 8) What should we call ourselves? The Holmbonians? The Holmboites? The Holmboe Homies? ;D

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 13, 2013, 05:37:47 PM
All is forgiven and apology accepted, Kyle. Let's focus on composers we both like and want to talk about and forget about the ones that don't. I guess I shouldn't have said I'm 'leaving' late-Romanticism, because, for me, some of my favorite composers were late-Romantics, so I could never leave. My mind just gets into a different headspace sometimes and I tend to 'push aside' music that I love from time to time to focus on music that I've become intrigued by. Of course, my return is eminent and I'm about to change my avatar again! I'm going to go back to my Sibelius avatar. Goodness I LOVE his music. I own 18 cycles of his symphonies and I still feel this isn't 'enough'! ;) :D

Welcome back, BTW!

Good to hear, my friend. :) Yeah, sometimes I just can't get over how awesome (must stop using this word ::)) a composer Sibelius was. I've always considered him to be a "late-romantic", but many insist that he's firmly a 20th century composer. His ideas are rather forward-looking in that they largely eschew late-romantic excess and use that organic development he is so famous for, but his musical language itself is late-romantic IMO. What do you think, John?

Brian

Quote from: kyjo on November 13, 2013, 05:50:02 PM
Yeah, anyone who likes Holmboe can be considered a homie of mine! 8) What should we call ourselves? The Holmbonians? The Holmboites? The Holmboe Homies? ;D

I like Holmboe Homies, but there's also the Sherlock Holmboes, the Holmboeheads, and my personal favorite, the Holmbovines.

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on November 13, 2013, 05:55:15 PM
Good to hear, my friend. :) Yeah, sometimes I just can't get over how awesome (must stop using this word ::)) a composer Sibelius was. I've always considered him to be a "late-romantic", but many insist that he's firmly a 20th century composer. His ideas are rather forward-looking in that they largely eschew late-romantic excess and use that organic development he is so famous for, but his musical language itself is late-romantic IMO. What do you think, John?

I think Sibelius' musical language was more ahead of his time than people give him credit for. I think late-Romanticism was just too stifling for him so he had to find a way out of this style and his way was what you're talking about. He found a way to build some of the most remarkable textures by giving the music room to breathe. He also was one of the first composers (to my knowledge) to start favoring silence in his symphonies. This kind of approach predates so many composers and has inspired many others. I'm not sure how influential he is nowadays, but that's beside the point, for me, there was no greater symphonist than Sibelius. A bold statement for sure, but one I feel very strongly about. Nobody sounded like him and his voice was truly his own.

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 13, 2013, 06:03:15 PM
I think Sibelius' musical language was more ahead of his time than people give him credit for. I think late-Romanticism was just too stifling for him so he had to find a way out of this style and his way was what you're talking about. He found a way to build some of the most remarkable textures by giving the music room to breathe. He also was one of the first composers (to my knowledge) to start favoring silence in his symphonies. This kind of approach predates so many composers and has inspired many others. I'm not sure how influential he is nowadays, but that's beside the point, for me, there was no greater symphonist than Sibelius. A bold statement for sure, but one I feel very strongly about. Nobody sounded like him and his voice was truly his own.

Interesting post! Bruckner utilized silence (pauses, rather) in his symphonies quite often. Saying Sibelius was the greatest symphonist ever really isn't such a bold statement. I consider Mahler to be the greatest symphonist ever, with Sibelius and Bruckner following close behind.

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on November 13, 2013, 06:15:37 PM
Interesting post! Bruckner utilized silence (pauses, rather) in his symphonies quite often. Saying Sibelius was the greatest symphonist ever really isn't such a bold statement. I consider Mahler to be the greatest symphonist ever, with Sibelius and Bruckner following close behind.

Bruckner did, indeed, use silence in his symphonies, which is why I wrote that Sibelius was one of the first to use it in his symphonies. Silence was a huge part of Bruckner's sound-world, which gives Sibelius a closer linkage to Bruckner than say Mahler. I do like Mahler a lot, but I can't, for the life of me, figure out why I don't rank him too highly? I mean his music is robust, powerfully expressive, and completely personal, but, I still don't quite connect with it, the same way I do other composers say Sibelius or Bruckner. I don't listen to Bruckner that much these days either. My three favorite symphonists would definitely be Sibelius, Shostakovich, and Vaughan Williams. For me, it just doesn't get any better and each of them, while maybe not 'innovators,' had the most unique approach to the idiom and were completely their own persons. I do enjoy other symphonists, but these three are the ones I come back to the most and think the most highly of, but, of course, we're all different and no one will have a list exactly the same.

Karl Henning

Quote from: kyjo on November 13, 2013, 05:15:08 PM

The good kind of busy, I am sure we all hope!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: kyjo on November 13, 2013, 05:19:28 PM
;D

So you've spent this time coming 'round to liking Richard Strauss? Excellent!  ;)   0:)   8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Good to see you're still around, Kyle!

Quote from: karlhenning on November 14, 2013, 03:39:26 AM
The good kind of busy, I am sure we all hope!
Quote from: karlhenning on November 14, 2013, 03:41:02 AM
So you've spent this time coming 'round to liking Richard Strauss? Excellent!  ;)   0:)   8)
That's roughly what I thought you meant with [t]he good kind of busy, Karl8)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr