Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Did another member leave??  I recall the total post count being in the 722,000 + range.  Now it's in the 720,000 range.  ???

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: ChamberNut on December 05, 2013, 04:02:38 PM
Did another member leave??  I recall the total post count being in the 722,000 + range.  Now it's in the 720,000 range.  ???

Hard to use that as a gauge of anything though, Ray. Very few members delete all their posts when they go. I am unaware of anyone leaving, FWIW.   :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 05, 2013, 04:39:25 PM
Hard to use that as a gauge of anything though, Ray. Very few members delete all their posts when they go. I am unaware of anyone leaving, FWIW.   :-\

8)

Oh, ok Gurn.  :)  I was mistaken in that if anyone left and closed their account, the total post count was reduced (even though their posts still show up as guests).

springrite

8)
Other than M, I don't notice people leaving either. I communicate with the people who ARE here.

Well, I did miss Uncle Harry when he left ( as my wife and Kimi kept reminding me).
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Brian

We know you moved all of Sarge's pictures of babes to a secret moderators-only board...

Brahmsian

Quote from: Brian on December 06, 2013, 05:39:29 AM
We know you moved all of Sarge's pictures of babes to a secret moderators-only board...

:laugh:

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Brian on December 06, 2013, 05:39:29 AM

And your point...?  ;)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

springrite

Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

North Star

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: North Star on December 06, 2013, 06:00:45 AM

Well, that's the best part, isn't it?   >:D  $:)

8)

Cato

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 21, 2013, 04:41:19 AM
Oh, I see.  Thanks, John.  :)

Didn't realize that 'Talk Classical' was still breathing.  I was on there as a member in its very early days.

Never heard of the group: is it full of posers and poseurs?   :o ;)

Of course, at least it isn't called Talque Classique!   ???
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Sammy

Quote from: Cato on December 06, 2013, 10:45:51 AM
Never heard of the group: is it full of posers and poseurs?   :o ;)

Talk Classical is full of the same type of folks who reside here.  For all I know, they are the exact same people who have changed their names to protect their true identities.

Florestan

Quote from: North Star on December 06, 2013, 06:00:45 AM

Immanis pecoris custos, immanior ipse  ;D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

premont

Quote from: Scarpia on October 29, 2013, 11:48:51 AM
Three weeks, now, and no Opus106.  When do we dispatch a search party?

Two months, now, and still no Opus106.

Hope he is doing well.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

toledobass

I have been lurking on an off for the past year or two.  Making an effort to participate again.  Good to see a lot of old friends still here,  hope to meet some new ones.

A

Cato

Quote from: toledobass on December 08, 2013, 07:29:15 AM
I have been lurking on an off for the past year or two.  Making an effort to participate again.  Good to see a lot of old friends still here,  hope to meet some new ones.

A

Hi Allan!

What is the Toledo Symphony up to for the rest of the year?
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Mirror Image

Well Kyle (Kyjo) is missing again. :(

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 08, 2013, 07:42:16 PM
Well Kyle (Kyjo) is missing again. :(

Yeah, I miss him too.  Hopefully he will come back.  :(

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, Kyle. (if you read this).  :)

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Brian on November 12, 2013, 07:37:22 PM
Gordo - more and more of your username is going missing! Soon you will just be "Go". Anyway, kyjo was here very recently, he just hasn't posted in a while. No need for worry, I think.

There was a lot of long-lasting fallout and distrust from the episode when he created the "Unsung Composers" thread and a few people, notably Sforzando and I (and someone else - was it Scarpia?), started a philosophical discussion about the whole concept of unsung-ness and underrated-ness, and how to determine it. Unfortunately the result was that kyjo began a "joke" campaign of censoring "Unsung" claiming it was verboten.

It was a bit like the whole issue with 71dB and Elgar, except if 71dB had gone around jokingly mocking his own fondness for Elgar without external prompting. Live and let live; Kyle can and should continue to be a valuable resource for obscure composers - like helping me build a Herman Koppel playlist - and folks like me can indulge in our Beethoven nights, and we can all live in peace.

Thank you for mentioning me, Brian. The whole concept of what constitutes "under" or "overratedness" seems to me difficult to assess at best. (I do from time to time buy CDs from this one or that one's "unsung" list, and the results are variable - thumbs up say for Weinberg and Pettersson, thumbs down for Terterian and Braga-Santos.) But I can be gone for months and no one ever seems to miss me in any case, one reason why I've more or less given up on trying to write anything serious here. It's just too much effort with no reward.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 14, 2013, 07:42:29 PM
Anyone heard from Navneeth (Opus 106) in the last week.
He was last active on 10/7.
My knowledge of where the actual impact zone was is hazy, but I was under the impression that Chennai was not directly threatened by that enormous Bengal cyclone.

Perhaps he's up to Opus 109.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."