Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on December 26, 2013, 06:15:11 AM
But I can be gone for months and no one ever seems to miss me in any case, one reason why I've more or less given up on trying to write anything serious here. It's just too much effort with no reward.

Well, you don't know that. You are one of the very few that I can say 'I always read your posts'. But the general feeling that you have, that's it's difficult to expect more than a modicum of serious posting is, unfortunately, true. Hard to see a way around that, there are so many different expectations and capabilities. :-\

8)

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

North Star

The reward ought to be in the posting itself. No matter how much I enjoy reading posts from you two, I usually don't have anything worth adding so my appreciation tends to be silent.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: North Star on December 26, 2013, 08:27:11 AM
The reward ought to be in the posting itself. No matter how much I enjoy reading posts from you two. I usually don't have anything worth adding so my appreciation tends to be silent.

I find many of your contributions valuable. Usually they are in areas with which I have no solid input to return, for I just file it away for future reference. No one knows everything (despite what they might think) so reading what someone else has written about is a good way to learn. My own scope is pretty limited, if somewhat in depth. :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Cato

Thank you for mentioning me, Brian. The whole concept of what constitutes "under" or "overratedness" seems to me difficult to assess at best. (I do from time to time buy CDs from this one or that one's "unsung" list, and the results are variable - thumbs up say for Weinberg and Pettersson, thumbs down for Terterian and Braga-Santos.) But I can be gone for months and no one ever seems to miss me in any case, one reason why I've more or less given up on trying to write anything serious here. It's just too much effort with no reward.

Certainly I understand that, as do (probably) many others.  It would be nice to have the time and money to follow (e.g. insert modern Scandinavian composer here) in depth, assuming that I liked (modern Scandinavian composer) to begin with.  If I did, then I could follow a good number of topics here!

For the more general topics, e.g. on musical aesthetics, things which are of interest to me crash and burn more often than not.

But there are interesting comments on assorted items, and people have written that they do read a good number things, but just feel they have nothing to add to the conversation...or the monologue!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

North Star

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 26, 2013, 10:05:38 AM
I find many of your contributions valuable. Usually they are in areas with which I have no solid input to return, for I just file it away for future reference. No one knows everything (despite what they might think) so reading what someone else has written about is a good way to learn. My own scope is pretty limited, if somewhat in depth. :-\

8)
Thanks!
Yes, I think our areas of special interest are rather different - though of course I might be a militant Haydnian in a couple of years :D.
But in my opinion it's only a good thing that we're all interested in slightly different things. One can get something out of the posts concerning something that isn't really of too much interest to one - either finding new music to listen to, or just new things to appreciate in other music. The Brianites are a different subspecies, though - mostly lurking in their own cave. ;)
But, tempus fugit..
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

I don't think a person should get hung up on whether their contribution gets read or not. If I'm making a post in a thread that I know that's not going to get many or even zero responses, I post anyway. In this sense, it's almost like a personal journal. It's interesting to see my thoughts on say Prokofiev, for example, three years ago versus today. It's like charting your own growth as a listener. It's nice to interact with other members here, too, no question about it, but unless you're a troll, you're contribution is valuable to someone on this forum. Let's say you post about Mozart's Requiem and list your favorite recorded performances and give detailed reasons for why you prefer this and that recording, well someone who's new to Mozart's Requiem will run across your post, and assuming they're interested in buying some recordings, they see your post. Well, you just helped someone out and you didn't even know it. If you feel something you post goes unnoticed, then it's certainly not the end of the world, you just have to keep posting about music you're passionate about. I mean, after all, we're all obviously passionate about this music, so why not share our thoughts? Just my two cents.

Sean

Thank you for mentioning me, Brian. The whole concept of what constitutes "under" or "overratedness" seems to me difficult to assess at best. (I do from time to time buy CDs from this one or that one's "unsung" list, and the results are variable - thumbs up say for Weinberg and Pettersson, thumbs down for Terterian and Braga-Santos.) But I can be gone for months and no one ever seems to miss me in any case, one reason why I've more or less given up on trying to write anything serious here. It's just too much effort with no reward.

Hi. You're not quite alone in this understanding. The world has changed over the last decade, again for the worse. I came across this forum in 2002 and the quality and range of comment was far superior and most impressive. If I'd found it as it is today I'd certainly never have bothered with it.

Why the decline? It's all around us throughout life in the postmodern mush of disbelief in objective standards and instead mindless personal opinion. The management here could have promoted higher standards but I understand it's not easy.

People used to listen to a work and start a thread on it. Now hardly anybody here really listens to anything and instead it's in one ear, on the What are you listening to? thread, out the other, and onto the next work and the next superficial pink fluff experience.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Sean on December 26, 2013, 06:53:23 PM
Hi. You're not quite alone in this understanding. The world has changed over the last decade, again for the worse. I came across this forum in 2002 and the quality and range of comment was far superior and most impressive. If I'd found it as it is today I'd certainly never have bothered with it.

Why the decline? It's all around us throughout life in the postmodern mush of disbelief in objective standards and instead mindless personal opinion. The management here could have promoted higher standards but I understand it's not easy.

People used to listen to a work and start a thread on it. Now hardly anybody here really listens to anything and instead it's in one ear, on the What are you listening to? thread, out the other, and onto the next work and the next superficial pink fluff experience.

:D

Happy Holidays, Sean!  :)

Brahmsian

Another GMG member I miss is Gold Knight.  Hasn't been around for months.  I liked his posts of "under the baton of....", or "lead by Maestro....". 

Mirror Image

Quote from: ChamberNut on December 26, 2013, 07:00:36 PM
Another GMG member I miss is Gold Knight.  Hasn't been around for months.  I liked his posts of "under the baton of....", or "lead by Maestro....".

Yeah, Gold Knight was cool. He's normally found on Talk Classical these days, but my absence from that forum has pretty much kept me 'out of the loop' with everyone there.

Que

I haven't seen Drasko for quite some time... And Antoine Marchand..

I really miss them... :(   

But I guess some have a life outside of GMG. :D Come back anyway, guys! :)

Q

Marc

AFAIK, Antoine Marchand = Gordon Shumway = Gordo .... and he's still quite active. :)

Wakefield

Quote from: Marc on December 27, 2013, 04:04:55 AM
AFAIK, Antoine Marchand = Gordon Shumway = Gordo .... and he's still quite active. :)

Do you have any proof on that?  ;)  ;D
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Marc

Wakefield

"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Marc

Que

Quote from: Marc on December 27, 2013, 04:04:55 AM

Right.  ;D Now you mention it, I should have known. Or rather, I sometimes do know but then keep forgetting again and being confused.

You guys keep changing those names and avatars to give me the illusion that the contingent of HIP and Early/ Baroque Music lovers is ever growing!! :laugh:

Q

Sean

Quote from: ChamberNut on December 26, 2013, 06:58:47 PM
:D

Happy Holidays, Sean!  :)

Thanks. I have less than zero interest in Christmas I'm afraid, too much religious baggage for a Hindu and part of a culture that was often rather negative for me.

Karl Henning

Yes, goodness knows you're such a beacon of positivity.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sean

Hi Karl, well I wouldn't take issue with many of the criticisms that could be levelled at me.