Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Karl Henning

The irony of your complaint about the negativity, Sean, is that just before reading this post of yours here, I saw your post about the Villa-Lobos quartets. A post with an immediate zing of gratuitous negativity.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Florestan

Quote from: Sean on December 26, 2013, 06:53:23 PM
Why the decline? It's all around us throughout life in the postmodern mush of disbelief in objective standards and instead mindless personal opinion.

You certainly know a thing or two about it.The irrefutable proof is below.

Quote from: Sean on December 27, 2013, 05:48:28 PM
I have less than zero interest in Christmas I'm afraid, too much religious baggage for a Hindu and part of a culture that was often rather negative for me.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Sean

You two pillars of the establishment, your disbelief in my great genius is futile I assure you. I am the forum's par excellence long suffering attendee. And reducing everything I and anyone else says to a relative view is but one more point to me...

Come on guys, music is finished and over like so many aspects of humanity. Be honest, hang up the gloves and agree with me.

The new erato

Quote from: Sean on December 29, 2013, 01:39:38 AM
You two pillars of the establishment, your disbelief in my great genius is futile I assure you. I am the forum's par excellence long suffering attendee. And reducing everything I and anyone else says to a relative view is but one more point to me...

Come on guys, music is finished and over like so many aspects of humanity. Be honest, hang up the gloves and agree with me.
I appreciate the humour of this post.  :D

But I don't think humanity is finished just yet.

Karl Henning

Sean, your credibility as an oracle is finished and over; be honest and hang up the gloves.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

springrite

The ignore function is lovely.  :D
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Dancing Divertimentian

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Sammy

You two pillars of the establishment, your disbelief in my great genius is futile I assure you. I am the forum's par excellence long suffering attendee.

That's only because you insist on playing that role.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Cato on December 26, 2013, 10:45:22 AM
Certainly I understand that, as do (probably) many others.  It would be nice to have the time and money to follow (e.g. insert modern Scandinavian composer here) in depth, assuming that I liked (modern Scandinavian composer) to begin with.  If I did, then I could follow a good number of topics here!

For the more general topics, e.g. on musical aesthetics, things which are of interest to me crash and burn more often than not.

But there are interesting comments on assorted items, and people have written that they do read a good number things, but just feel they have nothing to add to the conversation...or the monologue!

I appreciate your comment and those from some others. I find musical aesthetics and history of interest, perhaps more than most, and I don't necessarily expect interesting replies, though they come at times from the likes of amw and Brian. What irritates me most, I suppose, is the thoughtless sniping from people who have nothing to contribute, but who simply want to take the opportunity to sneer at someone who takes a little more time than to toss off a few one-liners:

QuoteI don't see the point of having this long drawn out pedantic discussion on the meaning of the word "underrated."

Yawn......don't feel like reading all this......

Listen Sforzando, I'm done arguing with you. Your posts make no sense to me.

Like my "underrated composers" thread... people can't just have fun and go with it, but have to philosophize and analyze the meaning of the word "underrated."
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Szykneij

I visit GMG multiple times a day and enjoy reading what people have to say. Although it shows I've made over two thousand posts, they're spread over a number of years, so I'm not what would be considered a frequent poster. Time or knowledge limitations usually prevent me from responding.
  In the past, a "like" button has been suggested. Perhaps something like that would allow readers like me to acknowledge a post we find interesting or helpful while letting the posters know their contributions are appreciated.
  Also, at any given moment, there are guests reading the forum in a number multiple times that of members on-line. Just because a post or thread isn't getting a lot of activity doesn't mean it's not valuable.
  Finally, we've had missing members (and I'm not referring to any individuals posting or mentioned in this thread) who clearly participated with an air of self-importance and became bitter when their ego wasn't satisfied. It's best that these individuals remain among the missing. While I also don't care for a lot of the negative posts that are made, they do sometimes stimulate further discussion and it's a better situation than having a vanity board.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Karl Henning

Tony, I have read your post, and I like it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Szykneij

Quote from: karlhenning on December 30, 2013, 04:33:48 AM
Tony, I have read your post, and I like it.

What! You don't love it?   >:(

Time to start my "Leaving GMG" thread!

:)
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Karl Henning

"I no longer love the way you hold your pens and pencils . . . ."

Back to (poco) Sfz's post/citation:

QuoteLike my "underrated composers" thread... people can't just have fun and go with it, but have to philosophize and analyze the meaning of the word "underrated."

Of course, for some of us, the philosophy and analysis are part of the fun.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Szykneij

Quote from: karlhenning on December 30, 2013, 04:51:21 AM
"I no longer love the way you hold your pens and pencils . . . ."

I did get sweater for Christmas ...

Karl Henning

The color of your sweaters is still all right.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Sean

Sincere best wishes folks...

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Szykneij on December 30, 2013, 04:44:48 AM
Time to start my "Leaving GMG" thread!

Sean beat you to it. Our resident genius is gone! O tragic day  :'(

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

bhodges

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 30, 2013, 06:24:41 AM

Sean beat you to it. Our resident genius is gone! O tragic day  :'(

Sarge

Probably in search of another galaxy.  8)

--Bruce