Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on April 30, 2014, 06:04:55 PM
It seems John has forsaken classical for good. I saw this on craigslist:

FOR SALE Excellent collection of 20th century classical music, all discs in pristine condition, many unopened. Includes huge selection of avatars and ranked lists of composers. Shostakovich half off!

There was an address in Georgia.

:P Not quite, Ken! I still love classical music. Just taking a bit of a break. I have several other musical interests.

Mirror Image

Quote from: EigenUser on April 30, 2014, 07:23:07 PM
:laugh:

I know, you're probably right. But, I like the eccentrics. Keeps things interesting...

Well, I'm certainly not keen on being called a failure and a nobody by someone who has failed to look into the mirror. I remember him being quite nasty to Karl as well. Saul really was a jerk.

Karl Henning

Well, but I am indebted to Saul for rejecting my Op.102 as the worst viola sonata in the world. As amusing things said by people who absolutely don't get your work go, that ranks mighty high  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Cato

Quote from: karlhenning on May 01, 2014, 03:07:28 AM
Well, but I am indebted to Saul for rejecting my Op.102 as the worst viola sonata in the world. As amusing things said by people who absolutely don't get your work go, that ranks mighty high  8)

Saul's music shows the dangers of $9.95 Music courses entitled "Learn These Three Simple Chords and YOU Can Be a COMPOSER!!!"   0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

And some days, you don't even need that third chord . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

EigenUser

But surely you must laugh at such a comment, right? I've been working on a viola sonata (on and off) for the past two years (surely a contestant for Saul's title, seriously) and I'd personally find that hilarious.

Quote from: karlhenning on May 01, 2014, 04:13:12 AM
And some days, you don't even need that third chord . . . .
Too dissonant!
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Karl Henning

Quote from: EigenUser on May 01, 2014, 05:53:11 AM
But surely you must laugh at such a comment, right?

Absolutely!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Cato

Actually, such a comment from Saul is in fact the highest praise!   0:)

For those who do not know Saul Dzorelashvili:

https://www.radiorivendell.com/music/Saul+Dzorelashvili/

Saul's music can be described as Classical and Romantic and some of his music is Meditative and resembles Film music.
Aside from Composition, Saul is also a Fantasy digital Artist, and a Photographer.

"Film music" is pretty much all the same, so you now have a better idea of what "some" of his music sounds like!   ;)

Karl Henning

More in that humorous vein:

Quote from: Saul on August 10, 2010, 02:14:38 PM
Karl, what in the world was that? are you serious?
This was very tenacious, I wish it had some charm...
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

:P

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 30, 2014, 07:20:37 PM
No, trust me. You don't want Saul around. You really don't.
At least that has the advantage of us knowing where he is lurking. The thought of him slinking around - somewhere - without anybody really knowing where is pretty scary.

EigenUser

I once came across this before I joined this forum (searching for something Stravinsky-related on Google, I think). I just found it again. I love the first sentence -- made me laugh.
Quote from: Saul
Let me explain to you why Stravinsky is not a Great composer.

His and the other composers' mistake and miscalculation was based on the wrong assumption that their unique creativity and originality can't be produced if they wrote their music within the traditional Baroque and Classical forms and styles. They began to venture to completely adventurous harmonies and forms  thinking that this will boost their originality. Well there was no boost, what happen was that they created banal music which some people decided to call it 'art' and attach to it all their intellectual weight to support this almost delusional fantasy like 'consensus' much like the modernists of visual arts when they began throwing and spilling buckets of paint on empty canvases believing in their petty minds that this is 'art'. [...]
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Karl Henning

Aye, that's a funny one, too!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

springrite

A badge of honour!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: EigenUser on May 01, 2014, 08:46:33 AM
I once came across this before I joined this forum (searching for something Stravinsky-related on Google, I think). I just found it again. I love the first sentence -- made me laugh.

What's truly funny is his one-dimensional view of Igor, a composer of many dimensions, styles and forms.  Count me as happily 'deluded' - he's in my Top Ten of greatest classical composers. 

Cato

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on May 01, 2014, 09:27:22 AM
What's truly funny is his one-dimensional view of Igor, a composer of many dimensions, styles and forms.  Count me as happily 'deluded' - he's in my Top Ten of greatest classical composers.

As I recall, Saul believed the highest heights of Music were reached by Mendelssohn.

"The rest is noise" after him, and anyone not following a Mendelssohnian path was dooooomed to be irrelevant!

Ken B

Meh. He just hasn't heard mine.

knight66

Saul......he could start a fight in an empty room, a menace.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Ken B

Quote from: Cato on May 01, 2014, 09:35:05 AM
As I recall, Saul believed the highest heights of Music were reached by Mendelssohn.

"The rest is noise" after him, and anyone not following a Mendelssohnian path was dooooomed to be irrelevant!
"Any composer who doesn't understand the need for Mendelssohnism is USELESS USELESS USELESS!"

Yeah, I don't understand why people admire tools like that.

>:D

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Of my 3 favorite loony-tunes posters (Sean, "Josquin" and snyprrr), only one still posts here.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach