Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Quote from: Velimir on May 01, 2014, 08:04:29 PM
Of my 3 favorite loony-tunes posters (Sean, "Josquin" and snyprrr), only one still posts here.

I am not sure what happened to 'Josquin'.  I hope he is ok, since I believe he wasn't in the best of health, if I recall correctly.

Snyprrr is active and binge posting.  :D

Sean will be back, I'm sure.  He always returns!  ;D

Florestan

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 21, 2014, 04:33:05 AM
I am not sure what happened to 'Josquin'.  I hope he is ok, since I believe he wasn't in the best of health, if I recall correctly.

I hope that, too. IIRC, he had depression and concentration / memory problems. And certainly he was better than his reputation.

Snyprrr is active and binge posting.  :D

I think he tries very hard to write at last his one intelligible post.  ;D

Sean will be back, I'm sure.  He always returns!  ;D

He'll return in glory with a lengthy essay on the defaults of Western civilization and lots of pictures of some Asian nymphette.  ;D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Karl Henning

[ viz. "Josquin" ]

Quote from: Florestan on May 21, 2014, 05:36:13 AM
I hope that, too. IIRC, he had depression and concentration / memory problems. And certainly he was better than his reputation.

I take your point, but my impression is, too, that he earned the reputation ;)

[ viz. snypsss ]

I think he tries very hard to write at last his one intelligible post.  ;D

He does surprise one now and again . . . with quite reliable regularity, I think, if one reads about in the threads which he typically, erm, haunts . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Florestan

Quote from: karlhenning on May 21, 2014, 05:50:25 AM
[ viz. "Josquin" ]

I take your point, but my impression is, too, that he earned the reputation ;)

Don't we all?   :D

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Karl Henning

And sometimes, in the worst way  ;)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

EigenUser

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 21, 2014, 04:33:05 AM
I saw his post on the Stockhausen thread -- something like "how convenient, he has a spaceship, why don't we put him and his music in his spaceship and send it to the sun". While I respect Stockhausen, that made me laugh.

He'll return in glory with a lengthy essay on the defaults of Western civilization and lots of pictures of some Asian nymphette.  ;D
Oh my god, I came across this one day while I was searching for "Turangalila-Symphonie". Did anyone take the time to read all of the text he wrote? I couldn't bring myself to do it -- it was too odd (and extremely difficult to understand, for that matter).
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

kishnevi

Has anyone heard from Madaboutmahler (Daniel)?  He seems to have done a Discobole and disappeared in the middle of the Brahms 2 comparison.
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,22639.msg798430.html#msg798430

speaking of Discobole, any news about him?

premont

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 21, 2014, 03:01:46 PM

It looks as if he left the French forum in anger.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

André

He did leave the french forum in anger (it was reciprocal), but continued here a little while longer. Now he seems to have disappeared altogether.

Marc

[....] IIRC, he had depression and concentration / memory problems. And certainly he was better than his reputation.
[....]

Yes, no memory problems for you here.
JdP sometimes suffered from depressions in a way that he even couldn't enjoy listening to music anymore.
So, his sudden disappearance from GMG in april 2012 was a bit worrying indeed.
OTOH, he got more and more interested in music from the Far East, so maybe he just switched to other music boards to talk about his (new) passions.

Who knows.

Anyway, in the last 2 years, when some new members showed up saying 'nasty' things (I remember a member named The Raven or something), sometimes other GMG members suspected The Return of Evil JdP. I never believed that. As you said, I think he was better (whatever that means) than his reputation.

Karl Henning

Well, when someone is an ass to you, repeatedly, perhaps the ass is actually better than his behavior;  but the crockery is still broken, even if the guy who broke it is better than his reputation.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Ken B

Quote from: karlhenning on May 21, 2014, 05:41:10 PM
Well, when someone is an ass to you, repeatedly, perhaps the ass is actually better than his behavior;  but the crockery is still broken, even if the guy who broke it is better than his reputation.
Wow. One crack about Mennin's Eigth and it's grudge-city!

;D

Gurn Blanston

+1

Interesting how we all tend to miss the same people whom we reported over and over for having pathological character defects. I guess it's like long-term memory loss....  ::)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Dancing Divertimentian

+2

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

springrite

As a psychologist I do understand that, of course. But in non-clinical settings, it does not mean I have to take it on the chin. The convenience of the ignore button solved that problem brilliantly.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Cato

(Sean) will return in glory with a lengthy essay on the defaults of Western civilization and lots of pictures of some Asian nymphette.  ;D

Assuming he is not in a Shanghai or Bangkok jail for such activities!  ;)

Quote from: EigenUser on May 21, 2014, 07:29:37 AM
Oh my god, I came across this one day while I was searching for "Turangalila-Symphonie". Did anyone take the time to read all of the text he wrote? I couldn't bring myself to do it -- it was too odd (and extremely difficult to understand, for that matter).

Classic Sean, the master of the triple-tongued somersault of illogical logic and circumcognition!  ;)  Be Happy that you could not understand it, because if you could, that fact would be evidence against you at the sanity hearing!  0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Marc

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 21, 2014, 05:56:29 PM
+1

Interesting how we all tend to miss the same people whom we reported over and over for having pathological character defects. I guess it's like long-term memory loss....  ::)

8)

I don't miss JdP.
But I do hope he's OK.

I don't miss M Forever, either.
But I do hope he's OK.

I do miss Opus106, though.
And Coopmv.

And I hope that Madaboutmahler hasn't gone mad and that he's OK .... and will return.

:)

North Star

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 21, 2014, 03:01:46 PM
Has anyone heard from Madaboutmahler (Daniel)?  He seems to have done a Discobole and disappeared in the middle of the Brahms 2 comparison.
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,22639.msg798430.html#msg798430

I've heard a little - he's been busy with his final exams, trying to get into OxBridge to study music.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

amw

Quote from: Marc on May 21, 2014, 11:40:27 PM
I don't miss JdP.
But I do hope he's OK.

I think JdP was in a very dark place at the time of his posts on GMG and needed psychiatric help. Hopefully he was able to find that and is now a calmer and more reasonable person.

Still though, it's strange how the people like that seem to get the most attention on here, negative or otherwise. It's like we need someone to hate (or have pity for)—it makes us feel better, we need Sean and the like around in order to feel like nicer, more enlightened people by comparison.

premont

Quote from: Marc on May 21, 2014, 11:40:27 PM

I do miss Opus106, though.
And Coopmv.

I also do miss Opus 106 .... and Clever Hans and JWinter.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν