Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Certainly a favorite writer of mine :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brahmsian

Quote from: EigenUser on May 22, 2014, 06:52:00 AM
I never got the impression that snyprrr is a looney-tune poster. His posts make him seem more like he is always with a cup of espresso in one hand while typing. ;)

:D  Well, I challenge you to read back some of Snypp's post in recent years.  You may arrive at a different conclusion.   ;D

There have been days (or late nights) where you can see a string of 20 + consecutive posts in as many topics, and sometimes you think he's the only one on the forum, having a conversation with himself.   :laugh:

Nevertheless, I like the dude, especially because he is a 'chamber music nut' like me.  :)

North Star

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 22, 2014, 09:57:48 AM
:D  Well, I challenge you to read back some of Snypp's post in recent years.  You may arrive at a different conclusion.   ;D

There have been days (or late nights) where you can see a string of 20 + consecutive posts in as many topics, and sometimes you think he's the only one on the forum, having a conversation with himself.   :laugh:

Nevertheless, I like the dude, especially because he is a 'chamber music nut' like me.  :)
Hear, hear!
BTW, did you watch the game, Ray?  8)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Brahmsian

Quote from: North Star on May 22, 2014, 11:26:03 AM
Hear, hear!
BTW, did you watch the game, Ray?  8)

Which game, Karlo?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 22, 2014, 11:31:05 AM
Which game, Karlo?

Must have been the Rangers kicking the Habs butts. That must have hurt with those skates on. :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

North Star

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 22, 2014, 11:31:05 AM
Which game, Karlo?
Ice Hockey.. Canada - Finland in World Championship games in Minsk. Obviously they're not that big an attraction in an Olympic year, with many of the NHL stars absent.

My photographs on Flickr

Florestan

Quote from: Gordo on May 22, 2014, 09:40:31 AM
A preacher of the common sense.

Poor common sense! it was a fascist eastward of Iron Curtain, and a communist westward of it.  ;D

Aligning oneself with the left, as with the right, is only one of the numberless ways open to man of being an imbecile: both are forms of moral hemiplegia. --- Jose Ortega y Gasset

I am neither a rightist, nor a leftist --- I am a smart man. --- Henry de Montherlant

QuoteToday, after a long process and almost against his status as a Catholic writer, I'm convinced he is the greatest essayist I have ever read and with Jorge Luis Borges and Franz Kafka, one my favorite writers from the XX Century.

Why against? Is a Catholic barred ipso facto from knowing and expressing the truth? I won't deny this right even to a Lutheran like Kierkegaard, or to an atheist like Schopenhauer --- so much less to a Catholic like Chesterton...  ;D

Kafka --- yes, he is the one and only prophet of the brave new world we are living live in.  ;D ;D ;D

(quoted from memory)

"Such a law, I am not aware of!", said Josef.

"You see, my friend, he isn't even aware of the existing  laws, yet he pretends to be innocent!", said the police inspector to his colleague.

I ask you, my GMG fellows --- are you aware of all the laws enforceable in your country?  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Brahmsian

Quote from: North Star on May 22, 2014, 11:45:32 AM
Ice Hockey.. Canada - Finland in World Championship games in Minsk. Obviously they're not that big an attraction in an Olympic year, with many of the NHL stars absent.

No, I didn't watch it.  For whatever the reason, I usually don't follow the World Championships.   :-[

North Star

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 22, 2014, 12:38:37 PM
No, I didn't watch it.  For whatever the reason, I usually don't follow the World Championships.   :-[
Yeah, I gather they're not of much interest in North America. In any case, Finland won, dropping Canada from the semifinals   :laugh:
It's certainly not what I expected would happen, as Finland only barely made it into the top 8, losing to Latvia, Russia & USA, barely winning the Kazakhstan match 3-4, and winning Switzerland in the penalty shots.  ::)
It would be cool to win silver, making a straight flush together with the Olympic bronze & Jr. gold.  8)

I guess this isn't too OT yet, since quite a few hockey players miss at least some teeth..

My photographs on Flickr

Brahmsian

Quote from: North Star on May 22, 2014, 01:11:55 PM
Yeah, I gather they're not of much interest in North America. In any case, Finland won, dropping Canada from the semifinals   :laugh:
It's certainly not what I expected would happen, as Finland only barely made it into the top 8, losing to Latvia, Russia & USA, barely winning the Kazakhstan match 3-4, and winning Switzerland in the penalty shots.  ::)
It would be cool to win silver, making a straight flush together with the Olympic bronze & Jr. gold.  8)

I guess this isn't too OT yet, since quite a few hockey players miss at least some teeth..

:D  Well, I wish Finland the best of luck on the silver.  I always cheer for Finland (except against Canada)  ;D

North Star

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 22, 2014, 01:25:33 PM
:D  Well, I wish Finland the best of luck on the silver.  I always cheer for Finland (except against Canada)  ;D
Cheers, here's hoping.. (I wouldn't be disappointed if they won gold, either, though  8)   not that I really care enough to could have been disappointed even if they hadn't made it to the top 8 )

My photographs on Flickr

Brahmsian

Quote from: North Star on May 22, 2014, 01:44:44 PM
Cheers, here's hoping.. (I wouldn't be disappointed if they won gold, either, though  8)   not that I really care enough to could have been disappointed even if they hadn't made it to the top 8 )

Oh, I misread!  If they still play for Gold, then go for the Gold!!  :)

North Star

Semifinals next, against Czechs, who beat the US. They ought to be able to win Czechs (who won Norway 1-0, won France 5-4 in OT lost to both Denmark & Sweden 4-3 in penalty shots, and lost to Canada 4-3). The other semifinal pair is Sweden & Russia. I sure hope Putin's team will end up without a medal..

My photographs on Flickr

Wakefield

Quote from: Florestan on May 22, 2014, 12:36:27 PM
Why against? Is a Catholic barred ipso facto from knowing and expressing the truth? I won't deny this right even to a Lutheran like Kierkegaard, or to an atheist like Schopenhauer --- so much less to a Catholic like Chesterton...  ;D

This off-topic has gone a bit too far, so my apologies to the community.  :)

It's simple: I think secular affairs should be always discussed in non-religious terms.

A discussion about beliefs is always a failed discussion because, generally speaking, when you are in front of a true belief usually just one road is possible: respect. 

I mean only it's possible to debate about ideas, not about beliefs and all of religious "ideas" are truly beliefs, not authentic ideas.

As Ortega y Gasset said: while we have (own) ideas; we are (upon) our beliefs.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

springrite

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 22, 2014, 01:25:33 PM

Me, too. But it won't be the same without Teemu. When will they produce the next Teemu?
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

EigenUser

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 22, 2014, 09:57:48 AM

I like him too. Anyone who describes the Luto cello concerto as "farty" and listens to it in his car (see Luto thread) has got to be a cool person!
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Que

Quote from: Marc on May 22, 2014, 12:09:05 AM
$:)

Naughty wishing by the groom.

Let's say I value the presence of the female touch.   0:)

Q

Karl Henning

I am not missing!

(Just saying.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

TheGSMoeller

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA