Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Moonfish on June 02, 2014, 12:50:51 PM
Yes, I agree completely. I like how you at GMG are running different topics in an organized fashion. Besides, it obviously becomes a great resource over time. The drawback is if one is a compulsive buyer of music....   ???

Thanks. Many of the originals here came from a forum called CMG, and there they are all in one thread too, or at least all of the threads are in one big room. If you post in an obscure thread, like Dave's Fux thread, then come back tomorrow to check replies, it might be already on the next page! So Rob broke it down into rooms, it has been like this since the beginning. Surprisingly a lot of people hated the concept and left because of it, but I think a lot of people stayed because of it too. We used to be anal about posting in 'the right room', but now, not so much. Close is good. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Ken B

Yes, I agree completely. I like how you at GMG are running different topics in an organized fashion. Besides, it obviously becomes a great resource over time. The drawback is if one is a compulsive buyer of music....   ???
It's frickin' dangerous. I watch you and Bak and Ubu and it starts to seem normal that I can't see the other side of the room for discs and boxes. BTW, have you seen that new 100 Symphony box on Amazon yet .....

North Star

I'd say it's a rather great resource already. :)
Separating different topics is essential, both for following the discussions as they take place and for when one searches for information later. Rooms is another thing that is a huge benefit. Moderation is of course needed sometimes, but very little need for it here, especially these days. Perhaps the moderators should start moderating the big box purchases..  8)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Ken B on June 02, 2014, 12:58:32 PM
It's frickin' dangerous.

My collection exploded shortly after joining this forum...and my bank balance imploded...but hey, it's only money  ;)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Moonfish

Quote from: North Star on June 02, 2014, 12:59:56 PM
I'd say it's a rather great resource already. :)
Separating different topics is essential, both for following the discussions as they take place and for when one searches for information later. Rooms is another thing that is a huge benefit. Moderation is of course needed sometimes, but very little need for it here, especially these days. Perhaps the moderators should start moderating the big box purchases..  8)

Well, I did mean that it is a resource (yes, right now) and it will be even better ten years from now (just like a good wine)!

I think all posts from Finland should be moderated!   >:D
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 02, 2014, 01:01:58 PM
My collection exploded shortly after joining this forum...and my bank balance imploded...but hey, it's only money  ;)

Sarge

Yes. I am thinking about making no purchases this month!   *gulp*   >:( :( :( :( :'( :'( :'(
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on June 02, 2014, 12:58:32 PM
It's frickin' dangerous. I watch you and Bak and Ubu and it starts to seem normal that I can't see the other side of the room for discs and boxes. BTW, have you seen that new 100 Symphony box on Amazon yet .....

Hmm, yes, I am considering a new shelf to remove the piles from the floor. It is getting difficult to vacuum! And, yes, I have seen it but it somehow does not pull me in. Now, historical recordings is a very different matter (thanks for that timely trigger King Ubu!  ???). Maybe we should move to the cdcdcd thread?    $:)
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on June 02, 2014, 01:05:27 PM
Yes. I am thinking about making no purchases this month!   *gulp*   >:( :( :( :( :'( :'( :'(
:'( I was hoping for Moonfish Proxy Month, where you buy things and I just enjoy it vicariously. All that lovely Graupner, all those bork-bork-borking Swedes ....

North Star

Quote from: Moonfish on June 02, 2014, 01:04:28 PMWell, I did mean that it is a resource (yes, right now) and it will be even better ten years from now (just like a good wine)!
Sure.

QuoteI think all posts from Finland should be moderated!   >:D
At least when Elgar (or Wagner..) is mentioned unnecessarily.  8)

My photographs on Flickr

Ken B

Quote from: North Star on June 02, 2014, 01:13:34 PM
Sure.
At least when Elgar is mentioned unnecessarily.  8)
You can always safely substitute "Brahms and water" for that.

>:D :laugh:

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on June 02, 2014, 01:16:03 PM
You can always safely substitute "Brahms and water" for that.

>:D :laugh:

Is that with or without lemon?
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on June 02, 2014, 01:10:16 PM
:'( I was hoping for Moonfish Proxy Month, where you buy things and I just enjoy it vicariously. All that lovely Graupner, all those bork-bork-borking Swedes ....

Now when I think about it you kind of remind me of Kermit....     ;)
Anna Lappé

Cato

Okay, Cato is still big, bad, and (now) back in action...like a Shaft sequel! 

Assorted trips, traps, and even tropes have been endured, and I believe I will have some time to visit GMG again!

And so, I need to grumble over at Cato's Grammar Grumble right now!  0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Cato

Quote from: karlhenning on July 08, 2014, 05:21:10 AM
Huzzah for our Cato!

I have not been huzzahed for some time!  Feels good!   0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Cato on July 08, 2014, 05:54:56 AM
I have not been huzzahed for some time!  Feels good!   0:)

A Cato sighting!!  Welcome back, lad!  :)

Henk

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

Szykneij

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

kishnevi

Quote from: North Star on July 08, 2014, 08:32:12 AM
In the Diner.

He did pop into the main listening thread to report an outbreak of Barber, so there's hope for him yet.  >:D