Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EigenUser

Quote from: Ken B on September 18, 2014, 05:00:16 PM
Zauberdrachen7 is alive and not quite well. He has had a painful ear infection. He will return, he says hi.
Oh, that's a shame. Feel better! Ear infections are probably the most painful things I have ever experienced, at least as far as a minor illness is concerned.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

kishnevi

Quote from: EigenUser on September 18, 2014, 05:45:36 PM
Oh, that's a shame. Feel better! Ear infections are probably the most painful things I have ever experienced, at least as far as a minor illness is concerned.
And terribly inconvenient for musical purposes....hope he gets better quickly!

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on September 18, 2014, 05:45:36 PM
Unpleasant. His exact words were "it all sounds like Stockhausen".

North Star

Quote from: Ken B on September 18, 2014, 07:12:02 PM
A terrible fate indeed. I hope he gets well soon.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

EigenUser

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Karl Henning

And this is The Night Gallery.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

listener

"...Ear infections are probably the most painful things I have ever experienced, at least as far as a minor illness is concerned...

Does the corollary hold?   (viz. Stockhausen sounds like an ear infection.)
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Ken B

Quote from: listener on September 19, 2014, 08:05:28 PM
"...Ear infections are probably the most painful things I have ever experienced, at least as far as a minor illness is concerned...

Does the corollary hold?   (viz. Stockhausen sounds like an ear infection.)
Stockhausen is an ear infection.

:laugh:

madaboutmahler

Quote from: North Star on August 30, 2014, 08:20:31 AM
Indeed, and has heard nos. 2 (with Harding) and no. 9 (Runnicles) live in the Proms this year.

And Gewandhaus/Gilbert for 3!

I am back! Thank you all for the comments, glad to know I was missed ;)
My attendance here may be quite sporadic (life has never been this busy - music mixed with uni applications and so forth!) but I have missed the forum so intend to contribute when I can!

"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

It's wonderful to see you here again, Daniel! :)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on September 21, 2014, 05:12:05 AM
And Gewandhaus/Gilbert for 3!

I am back! Thank you all for the comments, glad to know I was missed ;)
My attendance here may be quite sporadic (life has never been this busy - music mixed with uni applications and so forth!) but I have missed the forum so intend to contribute when I can!

Ahoy! The prodigal son returns! 8)

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Gentlemen, I've returned from the Isle of the Deaf (yes, it's the same place).  I've had ear infects before but nothing like this.  I admit it was frightening - tough to be John Wayne of the Ears.  Thought it was a cholesteatoma at first in one ear.  But thankfully not.  I learned lots - among which:  1.) Z-Pak  = Zero pack (for me, at least); 2.) my ENT told me that ears are - second only to the rectum - the most unclean part of the human body.  No, he wasn't referring to mine, but everyone's generally. (Blame Stockhausen, almost everyone does); 3.) Living w/o music is very hard and very sad  :( ; and 4.) I missed you guys - thanks  :-* for the sense of community here.   

Sergeant Rock

Two of the missing return! It's a good day in forum land  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

kishnevi

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 21, 2014, 07:38:07 AM
Two of the missing return! It's a good day in forum land  8)

Sarge
+1

Brahmsian

Welcome back Daniel and Zauber!  :)

madaboutmahler

"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on September 21, 2014, 07:27:34 AM
Gentlemen, I've returned from the Isle of the Deaf (yes, it's the same place).  I've had ear infects before but nothing like this.  I admit it was frightening - tough to be John Wayne of the Ears.  Thought it was a cholesteatoma at first in one ear.  But thankfully not.  I learned lots - among which:  1.) Z-Pak  = Zero pack (for me, at least); 2.) my ENT told me that ears are - second only to the rectum - the most unclean part of the human body.  No, he wasn't referring to mine, but everyone's generally. (Blame Stockhausen, almost everyone does); 3.) Living w/o music is very hard and very sad  :( ; and 4.) I missed you guys - thanks  :-* for the sense of community here.

Welcome back, Zauber! Good to hear your enjoying music once again.

Moonfish

Ouch! I am not sure if I could handle not being able to listen to music. Glad things got resolved for you Zauberdrachen! Are you celebrating with a listening marathon?  :D
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Cato

DUDE!  I can sympathize!

Since early August I have had an off-and-on tinnitus in the left ear, a low bass  (and LOUD) Bb !  Antibiotics chased it away for a while, but it returned!  Stronger antibiotics chased it away a second time, but it returned.  Finally, a ten-day regimen of Prednisone (a steroid) seems to have worked. 

Yes, one fears a permanent condition: some people have a debilitating tinnitus for years and years: very depressing!   My hearing in the left ear was considerably weakened by the volume of the tinnitus (pronounced tin'-ni-toos in Latin, incorrectly pronounced ti-NITE-iss by our unenlightened types).  I recall being in the hallway and not understanding much of anything spoken loudly by several people.

Right now, everything is great!

We need more magic dragons here!   8)  So stay with us!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)