Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonfish

Quote from: karlhenning on January 16, 2015, 05:55:11 AM
Maybe the idea is that firestorms of stupidity are perhaps unavoidable on the InterTubes, so let's at least contain them in the Diner . . . .

You have a point there Karl! Still, I think it stinks that such volatile threads lead to the departure of members that actually contribute to the music discussions elsewhere in the forum. Isn't that the purpose of the forum?  Some members literally "live" in the GMG diner happily trolling away. Like MI I tend to read these posts rather than engage as I prefer to not become the stick figure in Eigenuser's cartoon. After all, arguments about religion and politics will never change anybody's views about anything. It just becomes an endless argument. I pity the moderators. We should all pool some money and buy them some chocolates.....   ::)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

springrite

Quote from: Moonfish on January 16, 2015, 06:07:33 AM
We should all pool some money and buy them some chocolates.....   ::)

I'd go for alcohol
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Moonfish

Quote from: springrite on January 16, 2015, 06:09:30 AM
I'd go for alcohol

We will get a discount if we buy in bulk....
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Henk

If we would restrict the forum now to only music discussion, this would be a thorough wrong attenuation..

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Moonfish on January 16, 2015, 06:11:48 AM

Not bulk, please!   >:D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

North Star

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 16, 2015, 06:15:06 AMNot bulk, please!   >:D

8)
Dammit, I was about order a case of Glenmorangie for you guys. Thank goodness you managed to persuade me to not do so.  ::)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

mc ukrneal

Quote from: North Star on January 16, 2015, 06:17:08 AM
Dammit, I was about order a case of Glenmorangie for you guys. Thank goodness you managed to persuade me to not do so.  ::)
You still bought it though, right?! :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

North Star

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 16, 2015, 06:18:32 AM
You still bought it though, right?! :)
You mean, for myself? No. . .
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

The new erato

Quote from: Moonfish on January 16, 2015, 06:11:48 AM
I already buy in bulk.

Moonfish

Anna Lappé

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 16, 2015, 06:15:06 AM

Not bulk, please!   >:D

8)

I've much enjoyed the La Santa . . . you would recommend the original, then?  (Not that I should be at all surprised, at its worthiness, I mean.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 16, 2015, 06:07:19 AM
But he was not banned for his opinions on music. He was banned because of his absolutely deplorable abuse of people who didn't agree with him, or who weren't as knowledgeable as him. His 3 year grace period came to an end with no sign of any sort of rehabilitation.

Lest we forget and go on a Poor M crusade...  0:)

8)

Good heavens, no...that's not what I meant at all. I know he wasn't banned for his musical opinions. I was happy to see him go. What saddened me was seeing who voluntarily left with him.

Quote from: North Star on January 16, 2015, 06:04:35 AM
Did that loss have a negative effect, then?

In terms of musical dialogue, I think it did...but I still prefer the forum's current pleasant atmosphere to the dread I sometimes used to experience here. I no longer fear clicking on a thread...unless, of course, Florestan is active in it  ;D ;)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

The new erato

Quote from: Moonfish on January 16, 2015, 06:25:24 AM
:D :D

Your basement?

I wish. 900 bottles though.....and while CDs can be unplayed, bottles must be drunk. CDCDCD obsession in the wine department takes its toll.

The new erato

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 16, 2015, 06:28:53 AM

In terms of musical dialogue, I think it did...but I still prefer the forum's current pleasant atmosphere to the dread I sometimes used to experience here. I no longer fear clicking on a thread...unless, of course, Florestan is active in it  ;D ;)

Sarge
I share the sentiment, smileys and all.

Wakefield

Though this discussion is gigantic in range, I'd like to say just some things:

1.- The avatar of Discobolus is, as a matter of fact, offensive to many people, not just on this board, but in the real world. Therefore, the moderators have decided in a wise way banning it.

2.- What is acceptable as a "joke" (essentially ephemeral) isn't always acceptable as an avatar and permanent declaration of principles. 

3.- The output of the members of "Charlie Hebdo" (meanly murdered in Paris) hasn't been automatically sacralized because of their tragic and absurdly unjustified homicides. 

4.- The Charlie Martel avatar is, as a matter of fact too, offensive, but I think it was precisely the point of Andrei. Nobody here doubts that it has been rightly banned.

5.- I will be totally unfair and subjective here, but while I was reading the last message by Discobolus, I couldn't avoid to perceive his own satisfaction and "pride" because of being a martyr in the cause of free speech.

I'm not saying that he is acting as a "drama queen", but...

"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Ken B

Quote from: Gordo on January 16, 2015, 06:32:59 AM

4.- The Charlie Martel avatar... Nobody here doubts that it has been rightly banned.

I do.  :blank:

5.-  Discobolus,... I'm not saying that he is acting as a "drama queen", but...

I do.  :D

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 16, 2015, 06:28:53 AM
Good heavens, no...that's not what I meant at all. I know he wasn't banned for his musical opinions. I was happy to see him go. What saddened me was seeing who voluntarily left with him.

Sarge

(* chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Moonfish

Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on January 16, 2015, 06:42:38 AM
Are you feeling a kinship, Ken?   ;)

It's a flashback: reliving two great errors of my past ...

:laugh: 8)

springrite

Quote from: Ken B on January 16, 2015, 06:45:06 AM
It's a flashback: reliving two great errors of my past ...

:laugh: 8)

You get to relive them faster when you do them two at a time.  ;)
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.