Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZauberdrachenNr.7

RIP Disco Man.  I have often wondered if the range of opinion here - as well as in the world at large - is reflective of nature creating fertile variety for the perpetuation of the species.  If we could but learn to harvest the positives in multiple perspectives - or at least take them as a given - and not reap the toxic negatives (often our modus operandi) we might well forestall humanity's end.  The saddest part, for me, is realizing that Discobolus's deliberate and self-conscious exiting is more or less symbolic aggression.  Or more specifically, an "I'll show you!" form of symbolic suicide ("You're gonna miss me by my walk; You're gonna miss me by my talk; You're gonna miss me when I'm gone...") Not healthy and not conducive to the survival of the species...

springrite

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on January 16, 2015, 07:26:39 AM
("You're gonna miss me by my walk; You're gonna miss me by my talk; You're gonna miss me when I'm gone...")

...and you will be talking about me for ages!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Ken B

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on January 16, 2015, 07:26:39 AM
The saddest part, for me, is realizing that Discobolus's deliberate and self-conscious exiting is more or less symbolic aggression. 
(my bold)
Well put. I would have sympathy for him had Que simply zapped his avatar out of the blue. But Discobolus had already demanded that an avatar he disliked be zapped. Then he complained when his own avatar, which had been cited by others as obnoxious, was zapped. That to me counts as hypocrisy not martyrdom.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

springrite

That one episode aside, I do hope he comes back though. I was against having the diner when the idea was first put up for discussion and this is the reason why.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Ken B

Quote from: springrite on January 16, 2015, 07:36:00 AM
That one episode aside, I do hope he comes back though. I was against having the diner when the idea was first put up for discussion and this is the reason why.

Having read some of the old threads, I'd prefer to have Josquin back. Just sayin'!

(I know he pissed off a lot of folks but his comments on art and music were interesting, and had more merit than many credit.)

Gurn Blanston

+1
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Ken B on January 16, 2015, 07:38:54 AM
Having read some of the old threads, I'd prefer to have Josquin back. Just sayin'!

(I know he pissed off a lot of folks but his comments on art and music were interesting, and had more merit than many credit.)

Of course, reading the old threads doesn't give you the full flavor, since much of the crappy stuff was deleted. Same with M and some others who are gone. What you see, even if it is objectionable, is only the tip of the original iceberg...  $:)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Moonfish

+2
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 16, 2015, 07:52:55 AM
Of course, reading the old threads doesn't give you the full flavor, since much of the crappy stuff was deleted. Same with M and some others who are gone. What you see, even if it is objectionable, is only the tip of the original iceberg...  $:)

8)

??? ??? ???
:o :o :o

??? ???

There was even more praise for La Mer in the past???

>:D :laugh:

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on January 16, 2015, 08:00:04 AM
??? ??? ???

??? ???

Of course! It has been around for almost 4 billion years!!   ;)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Ken B on January 16, 2015, 07:38:54 AM

Hmmm...something tells me you might have gotten your wish already.

Meanwhile, I'm hoping Sean will come back. He was a narcissistic spectacle to behold, but this place is poorer without him.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

The new erato

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on January 16, 2015, 08:11:52 AM

Meanwhile, I'm hoping Sean will come back. He was a narcissistic spectacle to behold, but this place is poorer without him.
Or, at least the world were a better place for others when we were able to keep an eye on his activities.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Ken B on January 16, 2015, 08:00:04 AM
??? ??? ???

??? ???

Well, there was Pinky... :)

8)

Henk

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on January 16, 2015, 08:11:52 AM

+1 He liked and had interesting comments about Rossini operas. That's a big +.

Henk

Why can members be against the Diner? It's such an enrichtment of these boards. Without it, this would be a dull place really.

Many good things in the Diner. Discussing non-classical music. Art. Photography. Books. Many interesting and fun topics.

And the classical music discussion really doesn't suffer from it..

kishnevi

Has anyone heard from Chamber Nut?  I know he logs on here regularly.

premont

Oh, no - Discobolus left ....again. :o

I wonder, if he ever will find a forum, where he likes to participate.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Sammy

Quote from: Ken B on January 16, 2015, 07:33:06 AM
(my bold)
Well put. I would have sympathy for him had Que simply zapped his avatar out of the blue. But Discobolus had already demanded that an avatar he disliked be zapped. Then he complained when his own avatar, which had been cited by others as obnoxious, was zapped. That to me counts as hypocrisy not martyrdom.

To me, Discobolus was indeed a drama queen and a bit of a control freak.  People come, people go - it's all fine.  Honestly, I can't recall any time when a person's departure had any negative impact on the board.

Ken B

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 16, 2015, 08:36:06 AM
Has anyone heard from Chamber Nut?  I know he logs on here regularly.

I found his Brahms avatar offensive.

;)