Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on January 29, 2015, 05:06:24 AM
Thanks, Brian.
Anything with Dohnanyi and Bruckner on the same cover rocks!
I've had Young's 6th on the radar, and I see the worlds most handsome conductor  (Mr. Paavo to you) has a new 6th arriving soon.
Young's 6th is good but not essential.

Hey! What's the best 4th on NML? I've been storing up all these things to tell/ask you.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brian on January 29, 2015, 06:26:04 AM
Young's 6th is good but not essential.

Hey! What's the best 4th on NML? I've been storing up all these things to tell/ask you.

Young's cycle is good, and worth a listen for the original 2nd, 3rd and 8th. But better performances of them all are out there. Not essential, I agree with.

I'll have to look at the NML to see what's available. Any good 4th's you've listened to lately? And has Honeck's become available yet?

Mirror Image

Greg, welcome back! I've missed your commentary. Do you still live in Georgia?

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 29, 2015, 06:45:04 AM
Greg, welcome back! I've missed your commentary. Do you still live in Georgia?

Thanks, John. I'm still here in Georgia.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on January 29, 2015, 06:46:31 AM
Thanks, John. I'm still here in Georgia.

Excellent, so shipping you something will be quite easy. ;)

Brian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on January 29, 2015, 06:29:01 AM
Young's cycle is good, and worth a listen for the original 2nd, 3rd and 8th. But better performances of them all are out there. Not essential, I agree with.

I'll have to look at the NML to see what's available. Any good 4th's you've listened to lately? And has Honeck's become available yet?
I'm still trying to learn to like the 4th. :( Anything from Teldec, EMI, Virgin, Naxos type labels, most of Sony would be available.

Honeck's comes out in February (but here's a long excerpt!), as does a live double album of Jansons/Concertgebouw in B6/7!

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 29, 2015, 06:49:23 AM
Excellent, so shipping you something will be quite easy. ;)

Yes! Send me stuff!  ;D
In fact, I'm collecting a large amount of CDs I'm either going to sell or trade, need to reduce some clutter.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brian on January 29, 2015, 06:50:09 AM
I'm still trying to learn to like the 4th. :( Anything from Teldec, EMI, Virgin, Naxos type labels, most of Sony would be available.

Honeck's comes out in February (but here's a long excerpt!), as does a live double album of Jansons/Concertgebouw in B6/7!

Perhaps you should try a more subjective approach to the 4th, like that of Venzago's. Which is on Spotify.

Brian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on January 29, 2015, 07:01:49 AM
Perhaps you should try a more subjective approach to the 4th, like that of Venzago's. Which is on Spotify.
I'm going with Heinz Rogner's because I know he's a fairly fast classicist. Venzago will be my next attempt, but so far wow is Rogner working for me.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on January 29, 2015, 06:57:11 AM
Yes! Send me stuff!  ;D
In fact, I'm collecting a large amount of CDs I'm either going to sell or trade, need to reduce some clutter.

I hear you, Greg. I need to start culling my collection as well. Of course, I won't get rid of anything by favorite composers or composers in my top 20.

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 29, 2015, 07:24:17 AM
I hear you, Greg. I need to start culling my collection as well. Of course, I won't get rid of anything by favorite composers or composers in my top 20.
Which really is the top 100 since it changes all the time.

Mirror Image

Sergeant Rock

I need to start culling my collection as well.

Think, lad. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. Think Schnittke  ;D ;)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

(* Schnittke-chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Wanderer

I'm still trying to learn to like the 4th. :(

Alas, these things rarely happen via willpower. When it clicks, it clicks. Have you tried Wand, Böhm or Harnoncourt?

Honeck's comes out in February (but here's a long excerpt!)l

Thankfully for my wallet, this doesn't sound remotely as good as his previous releases.

Ken B

I hear you, Greg. I need to start culling my collection as well. Of course, I won't get rid of anything by ... composers in my top 20.
That eliminates 200 composers. What's left?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 29, 2015, 07:28:14 AM
Think, lad. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. Think Schnittke  ;D ;)

Sarge

:P Very wise words, Mr. Sarge. I hope I don't make that same error twice! ;D

André

Quote from: Wanderer on January 29, 2015, 07:51:23 AM
Alas, these things rarely happen via willpower. When it clicks, it clicks. Have you tried Wand, Böhm or Harnoncourt?

Is that a question or a suggestion ?  ;)

Wanderer

EigenUser

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 29, 2015, 05:31:10 PM
:P Very wise words, Mr. Sarge. I hope I don't make that same error twice! ;D
Do tell what happened with Schnittke...

You have such a scandalous, precarious relationship with favorite composers... >:D ;D ;)
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".