Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Quote from: EigenUser on January 31, 2015, 02:34:11 AM
Do tell what happened with Schnittke...
The greatest purge since Stalin:laugh:
John got rid of most (if not all, I don't remember) of his Schnittke recordings, and later gave his music another shot, along with his bank account.  ::)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

EigenUser

Quote from: North Star on January 31, 2015, 02:40:26 AM
The greatest purge since Stalin:laugh:
John got rid of most (if not all, I don't remember) of his Schnittke recordings, and later gave his music another shot, along with his bank account.  ::)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
That's hilarious.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Mirror Image

Quote from: EigenUser on January 31, 2015, 02:34:11 AM
Do tell what happened with Schnittke...

You have such a scandalous, precarious relationship with favorite composers... >:D ;D ;)

:) As Karlo rightfully pointed out, I gave 'most,' not all, of my Schnittke recordings away, which was foolish, but the recordings I kept gave me a new appreciation for the composer once I decided to take on his music again. Yes, my bank account got pummeled, but you live, you learn. :)

Jo498

But the recordings have probably found a nice new home, you didn't sent them to starve in a Siberian Gulag...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 31, 2015, 06:44:17 AM
:) As Karlo rightfully pointed out, I gave 'most,' not all, of my Schnittke recordings away, which was foolish, but the recordings I kept gave me a new appreciation for the composer once I decided to take on his music again. Yes, my bank account got pummeled, but you live, you learn. :)

However, credit must be given to John for creating a new Schnittke fan.  ;D

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 31, 2015, 06:44:17 AM

Quote from: EigenUser on January 31, 2015, 02:41:52 AM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
That's hilarious.

John learned from his mistake, Nate though continues to buy Boulez ...

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Ken B on January 31, 2015, 11:40:13 AM
John learned from his mistake, Nate though continues to buy Boulez ...

We can't laugh at him, though, not now, not until he gives away all his Boulez to charity  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Florestan

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 31, 2015, 11:44:42 AM
We can't laugh at him, though, not now, not until he gives away all his Boulez to charity  ;D

Giving away Boulez is not charity, but cruelty.  ;D ;D ;D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Ken B

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 31, 2015, 11:44:42 AM

Sarge

Nate is not so cruel.

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on January 31, 2015, 11:47:08 AM
Giving away Boulez is not charity, but cruelty.  ;D ;D ;D

Ha! Great minds.

Henk

Where is Mn Dave? He cancelled his account..

Bogey

Quote from: Henk on February 01, 2015, 09:59:37 AM
Where is Mn Dave? He cancelled his account..

He posted on his Facebook about three hours ago. Seems to be just taking a break as he usually does.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Henk

I'm gonna leave this forum for a while. I have nothing to say. :D And only posting about what I'm listening I think is a bit stupid.

Will keep on lurking a bit. Maybe keep on posting in the Jazz new releases thread.

Cato

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ken B

Quote from: Henk on February 03, 2015, 06:16:35 AM
I'm gonna leave this forum for a while. I have nothing to say. :D And only posting about what I'm listening I think is a bit stupid.

Will keep on lurking a bit. Maybe keep on posting in the Jazz new releases thread.

Don't go! I was counting on you to bring the anti-Gurrelieder faction up to 2! I know you're an Elgar skeptic, and we can ill afford to lose any of those either.
(I suppose it's too much to hope you're a La Mer doubter?)

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: Ken B on February 03, 2015, 09:07:28 AM

Hey!  I'm not gonna take that sitting down!  It's time for my nap anyway.   

Henk

Don't go! I was counting on you to bring the anti-Gurrelieder faction up to 2! I know you're an Elgar skeptic, and we can ill afford to lose any of those either.

Ok, so true. I avoid anything by Debussy and Ravel. :) Elgar, never heard but he's an late-romantic composer and I have bad experiences with anything late-romantic.

A video to please Karl :):
https://www.youtube.com/v/qNdirDqjpgk&list=PLgipZmrFdCvL29xshFngjhMrjOiSHZqAo
"You talk an awful lot for having nothing to say"

Gurn Blanston

Ken, you should have assumed that I can always be counted on for the important stuff...  0:)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)