Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wanderer

Quote from: karlhenning on February 23, 2015, 02:59:40 AM
I fear the worst . . . .

Standing in line for Bayreuth tickets?!  :o

Cato

Quote from: Moonfish on February 22, 2015, 07:44:35 AM
He was doing a month long Wagner marathon (Sony box). No wonder he needs a break!!!!   ;) ;) ;)
Alternatively, he is still listening to Lohengrin!   :P

Quote from: karlhenning on February 23, 2015, 02:59:40 AM
I fear the worst . . . .

Did no one dial 9-11?!  ;)

I do recall spending long, long afternoons listening to e.g. Goetterdaemmerung with the score: both the Solti and the von Karajan performances.  And yet, here I am, healthy and happy!   ;)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ken B

I exchanged notes with Z7. He's fine, not suffering from either Elgar or Wagner overload, but has other claims on his time.

Karl Henning

Relieved to hear it is nothing so dire as over-Wagnerization!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

NJ Joe

Hello,

Not that anyone missed me, but I have returned after about a 5 month layoff.  I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in September, 2014, which significantly curtailed my activity in many things, forum posting included. I began having problems mid-July, which culminated in a biopsy in early September. By the time of the actual diagnosis two weeks later, I was prepared for the worst.  Strange as it may sound, I actually felt relieved in finally knowing where I stood. The month or so leading up to the diagnosis (not knowing) was awful. 

Anyway, I underwent surgery on December 1, (a radical prostatectomy), and having been recovering since.  The entire process was rougher than I expected, but I'm progressing slowly but steadily. I returned to work after a 5 week layoff, but could have easily taken more time.  Unfortunately, disability insurance SUCKS, and I have a family to support. The biggest challenge has been to regain my stamina.

On Tuesday March 17,  I go for my first 3 month follow-up, and I'm being cautiously confident.

Yours truly,

NJ Joe
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

The new erato

Quote from: NJ Joe on March 15, 2015, 08:54:01 AM
Hello,

Not that anyone missed me, but I have returned after about a 5 month layoff.  I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in September, 2014, which significantly curtailed my activity in many things, forum posting included. I began having problems mid-July, which culminated in a biopsy in early September. By the time of the actual diagnosis two weeks later, I was prepared for the worst.  Strange as it may sound, I actually felt relieved in finally knowing where I stood. The month or so leading up to the diagnosis (not knowing) was awful. 

Anyway, I underwent surgery on December 1, (a radical prostatectomy), and having been recovering since.  The entire process was rougher than I expected, but I'm progressing slowly but steadily. I returned to work after a 5 week layoff, but could have easily taken more time.  Unfortunately, disability insurance SUCKS, and I have a family to support. The biggest challenge has been to regain my stamina.

On Tuesday March 17,  I go for my first 3 month follow-up, and I'm being cautiously confident.

Yours truly,

NJ Joe
Good luck to you and thanks for being so candid.

Gurn Blanston

Best wishes, Joe. I know several people who have had this condition to deal with, with varying degrees of success in recovery. I'm hoping you will be one of the success stories, we need more of those.

Music helps to maintain a good attitude, which is crucial to your efforts. Hope you have time to relax and listen now and then...

Regards,
GB 8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Cato

Anyway, I underwent surgery on December 1, (a radical prostatectomy), and having been recovering since... 

Ouch!  As part of your therapy, the complete symphonies of Anton Bruckner are prescribed!   ;)

North Star

Good luck with the cancer, Joe.

Quote from: Cato on March 15, 2015, 10:32:13 AM
Ouch!  As part of your therapy, the complete symphonies of Anton Bruckner are prescribed!   ;)
An aesthetic anaesthetic?
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Cato

Quote from: North Star on March 15, 2015, 11:01:19 AM

An aesthetic energetic!   0:)

NJ Joe

Quote from: The new erato on March 15, 2015, 10:25:21 AM
Good luck to you and thanks for being so candid.

Thank you and you're welcome! It's therapeutic for me to talk about it, now that the surgery's done. 

It was very difficult to talk about in the time leading up to the surgery.
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

NJ Joe

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 15, 2015, 10:28:33 AM
Best wishes, Joe. I know several people who have had this condition to deal with, with varying degrees of success in recovery. I'm hoping you will be one of the success stories, we need more of those.

Music helps to maintain a good attitude, which is crucial to your efforts. Hope you have time to relax and listen now and then...

Regards,
GB 8)

Thank you, sir.  I totally agree with you.  A positive attitude is essential, and music helps in a way that is beyond description. My doc says my prognosis is excellent. Let's hope he's right!
-David Byrne

NJ Joe

Quote from: Cato on March 15, 2015, 10:32:13 AM

Yes, thank you!  I'm on it!
-David Byrne

NJ Joe

Quote from: North Star on March 15, 2015, 11:01:19 AM
Good luck with the cancer, Joe.

Thank you!
-David Byrne

Mirror Image

Hello,

Yours truly,

NJ Joe

I'm terribly sorry to learn of this, Joe. I hope for a speedy recovery. Take care of yourself.

NJ Joe

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 15, 2015, 02:37:31 PM
I'm terribly sorry to learn of this, Joe. I hope for a speedy recovery. Take care of yourself.

Thank you MI, much appreciated!
-David Byrne

Sammy

Quote from: NJ Joe on March 15, 2015, 12:04:00 PM
Thank you and you're welcome! It's therapeutic for me to talk about it, now that the surgery's done. 

It was very difficult to talk about in the time leading up to the surgery.

The same thing happened with me.  I didn't want to talk to anyone about it.  Just wanted to concentrate on getting myself into the right frame of mind - be strong and beat it.  All is fine now, and I hope the same for you.

NJ Joe

Quote from: Sammy on March 15, 2015, 04:54:12 PM
The same thing happened with me.  I didn't want to talk to anyone about it.  Just wanted to concentrate on getting myself into the right frame of mind - be strong and beat it.  All is fine now, and I hope the same for you.

Thank you Sammy, glad to hear all is fine with you!
-David Byrne

Cato

Phrygian, a lady from Australia, seems to have disappeared.

I have written to her by e-mail now and then, since she joined: right now she is in Vienna.  Recent e-mails have returned, as if her account is gone.  The account here also seems to be defunct.

Sad: we need more women here, especially for Snyppr!  0:)