Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

She disappeared soon after telling me what really happened in the Finnish parliamentary elections on last Sunday.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

kishnevi

Quote from: Cato on April 25, 2015, 02:11:00 PM
Phrygian, a lady from Australia, seems to have disappeared.

I have written to her by e-mail now and then, since she joined: right now she is in Vienna.  Recent e-mails have returned, as if her account is gone.  The account here also seems to be defunct.

Sad: we need more women here, especially for Snyppr!  0:)

She apparently took umbrage over this thread
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,24190.msg886053.html#msg886053

Que

Quote from: Cato on April 25, 2015, 02:11:00 PM
Phrygian, a lady from Australia, seems to have disappeared.

I have written to her by e-mail now and then, since she joined: right now she is in Vienna.  Recent e-mails have returned, as if her account is gone.  The account here also seems to be defunct.

Sad: we need more women here, especially for Snyppr!  0:)

Well, just a quick glance at threads like The Men's Rights Movement, The Dating Thread and More Girl Problems should be more than sufficient to make any sane woman run for the exit.... ::)   :laugh:

But as pointed out, there were different circumstances at play....

Q

Moonfish

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 25, 2015, 02:21:59 PM
She apparently took umbrage over this thread
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,24190.msg886053.html#msg886053

It is common sense to stay off the topic of politics here at GMG.....
I'm sorry to see that Phrygian decided to leave after experiencing the ridiculous heat of a meaningless virtual debate. It reminds me of Discobolus leaving for a similar reason.  Moderators: It think it is a disgrace that these types of topics trigger a loss of valuable members here at GMG.
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Cato

Quote from: Moonfish on April 25, 2015, 02:46:43 PM
I'm sorry to see that Phrygian decided to leave after experiencing the ridiculous heat of a meaningless virtual debate. It reminds me of Discobolus leaving for a similar reason.  Moderators: It think it is a disgrace that these types of topics trigger a loss of valuable members here at GMG.

What I find regrettable is that she seems to have deleted her contact with me on regular e-mail.

Of course, I did send her some of my writings...in some cases, after doing that, I never heard from the other person ever again!   :D

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Moonfish

Quote from: Cato on April 25, 2015, 03:25:35 PM
What I find regrettable is that she seems to have deleted her contact with me on regular e-mail.

Of course, I did send her some of my writings...in some cases, after doing that, I never heard from the other person ever again!   :D

;)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

North Star

I don't know what you mean by disgrace, Peter? These two members have a history of intolerance here, and Discobolus himself drove members away from GMG. They are the ones that should have kept away from those subjects, and I don't think the Diner discussions should be more strictly controlled just to avoid a few broken nuts.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Gurn Blanston

I'm sorry to see that Phrygian decided to leave after experiencing the ridiculous heat of a meaningless virtual debate. It reminds me of Discobolus leaving for a similar reason. Moderators: It think it is a disgrace that these types of topics trigger a loss of valuable members here at GMG.

Moon,

So do I, but look at the subject of the topic: Who will replace Rattle at the BPO? If we disallow that, what is the future of any discussion at all?   ???

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Moonfish

Quote from: North Star on April 25, 2015, 04:01:09 PM
I don't know what you mean by disgrace, Peter? These two members have a history of intolerance here, and Discobolus himself drove members away from GMG. They are the ones that should have kept away from those subjects, and I don't think the Diner discussions should be more strictly controlled just to avoid a few broken nuts.

I just find it sad, since these members had wonderful things to say about music. I do miss Discobolus's posts.
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Might as well piss everyone off. I think Phrygian was treated badly, and I think several here, whom I mentioned before so won't name again, endorsed rather low tactics simply because her opinions are unfashionable and unPC. I don't mean to imply she was guiltless in the exchanges, as she most certainly wasn't, or that her arguments were good, only that she was swarmed. And there are few things I admire less than a swarm. 

Moonfish

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 25, 2015, 04:05:45 PM
Moon,

So do I, but look at the subject of the topic: Who will replace Rattle at the BPO? If we disallow that, what is the future of any discussion at all?   ???

8)

You are right! I was also wondering how the original topic took such a sinister turn!  :o
It is always a good idea to turn away from the feeding frenzy of the virtual boards.  0:)
Anna Lappé

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Ken B on April 25, 2015, 04:49:31 PM
Might as well piss everyone off. I think Phrygian was treated badly, and I think several here, whom I mentioned before so won't name again, endorsed rather low tactics simply because her opinions are unfashionable and unPC. I don't mean to imply she was guiltless in the exchanges, as she most certainly wasn't, or that her arguments were good, only that she was swarmed. And there are few things I admire less than a swarm. 
You may be right, but you have been part of a swarm (albeit a smaller one). So I am slightly confused.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Karl Henning

They may thus serve a useful purpose as Nut Attractors ....

Sorry for our Cato, though 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ken B

Quote from: mc ukrneal on April 25, 2015, 05:04:57 PM
You may be right, but you have been part of a swarm (albeit a smaller one). So I am slightly confused.

I don't think you were swarmed, and I don't think the criticisms of what you said -- which might differ from what you meant I acknowledge -- were personal. Certainly no-one called you a racist or hinted about nazi sympathies expressed in code.

Jo498

I am sorry that she left but Phrygian was clearly de-railing that thread. There are other threads (as mentioned "Men's rights" etc.) where "non-PC" opinions are freely expressed and discussed.
But in the Berlin Philharmonic thread she repeatedly ignored not only the main thread topic but told people off who had lived (or were still living) in Germany/Europe for decades because she thought she knew everything better after spending a few months on holiday there.
If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Pat B

Quote from: Jo498 on April 25, 2015, 11:52:11 PM
I am sorry that she left but Phrygian was clearly de-railing that thread. There are other threads (as mentioned "Men's rights" etc.) where "non-PC" opinions are freely expressed and discussed.
But in the Berlin Philharmonic thread she repeatedly ignored not only the main thread topic but told people off who had lived (or were still living) in Germany/Europe for decades because she thought she knew everything better after spending a few months on holiday there.
If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

The original post in that topic gives the distinct impression that for her, the BPO search was largely a pretext for another one of her political rants. Some of the responders eventually weren't very polite, but neither was she.

So I would say that she wasn't just in the kitchen; she built the fire and then poured gasoline on it. I don't have much sympathy for that. That goes for Discobole too, as much as I appreciated his music-related posts. (Just to be clear, I would welcome both of them back. I'm just not sympathetic over their departures.)

Mirror Image

Where is Ray (ChamberRay)?!?!? >:( Miss this guy. See him on Facebook every now and again.

Moonfish

And where is Octave...?      :(
Haven't seen him here for a long time!
Anna Lappé

kishnevi

Quote from: Moonfish on April 30, 2015, 03:53:49 PM
And where is Octave...?      :(
Haven't seen him here for a long time!

As I understand it, a combination of other interests and the need to keep to his CD buying budget made it prudent to stay away from the temptations on offer here.

premont

Quote from: Que on April 25, 2015, 02:40:05 PM
Well, just a quick glance at threads like The Men's Rights Movement, The Dating Thread and More Girl Problems should be more than sufficient to make any sane woman run for the exit.... ::)   :laugh:

Yes, I certainly do not envy you (moderators), who - dutifully - have to read those threads.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν