Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jubal Slate

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on May 02, 2015, 08:16:47 AM
I just find it amusing (and instructive) that when James does certain things, the membership is up in arms, his posts are deleted, it's a capital crime, I'm insulted, etc., etc.; but when something similar is done to James, no one raises an eyebrow.

No, you don't get it. He's earned all this for his years of trolling. Mostly, I just ignore him.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: karlhenning on May 02, 2015, 07:46:32 AM
Exactly!  Isn't as if the professional critics were always right.

There's no "right" or "wrong." Judgment of the value of a work or art is not provable like a theorem in math. What matters is the level of argument the critic provides. I don't, for example, agree with John Simon's opinion that Cries and Whispers is one of Ingmar Bergman's "weakest" films, but he provides a detailed review where he describes what he considers the film's problems. I think he misses the mark, but at least he's being responsible, and not just offering an offhand remark.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: MN Dave on May 02, 2015, 08:18:36 AM
No, you don't get it. He's earned all this for his years of trolling. Mostly, I just ignore him.

No, it's you who don't get it. See Cato's #1126 above.

Jubal Slate

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on May 02, 2015, 08:21:57 AM
No, it's you who don't get it. See Cato's #1126 above.

I saw it.

Karl Henning

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on May 02, 2015, 08:20:20 AM
There's no "right" or "wrong." Judgment of the value of a work or art is not provable like a theorem in math. What matters is the level of argument the critic provides. I don't, for example, agree with John Simon's opinion that Cries and Whispers is one of Ingmar Bergman's "weakest" films, but he provides a detailed review where he describes what he considers the film's problems. I think he misses the mark, but at least he's being responsible, and not just offering an offhand remark.

Again, that's it exactly.  And part of James's amusement value has been, how he feels that his opinion on a work of art or on an artist, can be taken to the bank; and how the average level of his argument is on the order of "Glenn Gould sneers at Mozart, so we know that Mozart isn't worth much."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: MN Dave on May 02, 2015, 08:26:01 AM
I saw it.

If standards of conduct are to be applied, then they have to be applied dispassionately, and without concern for anyone's personal feelings about a member or for that matter the member's own conduct. Otherwise they are meaningless.

Jubal Slate

I'm certain he loves all this attention. He's probably laughing his head off.

Hellooo, James.

Karl Henning

That's purely speculative.  We none of us can be sure that he has a head to laugh off.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Jubal Slate

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on May 02, 2015, 08:42:20 AM
If standards of conduct are to be applied, then they have to be applied dispassionately, and without concern for anyone's personal feelings about a member or for that matter the member's own conduct. Otherwise they are meaningless.

Sure.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: MN Dave on May 02, 2015, 08:42:38 AM
I'm certain he loves all this attention. He's probably laughing his head off.

Hellooo, James.

That may or may not be the case. Every one of us who has participated in this discussion bears some responsibility for keeping it up, not least yourself or myself.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: MN Dave on May 02, 2015, 08:18:36 AM

Exact-a-mundo.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on May 02, 2015, 06:17:47 PM
Exact-a-mundo.

My response to you is the same as to MNDave earlier today.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on May 02, 2015, 06:29:23 PM
My response to you is the same as to MNDave earlier today.

And I'm just as unconvinced as Dave, et al... :D

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Brian

I don't understand why James's past transgressions "deserve" to be punished by people abusing him with insults. Are we all going Old Testament here, an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth? What happened to trying to stand above a conflict? Or trying to resolve it?

So long as James makes non-abusive posts, he should be welcome to the community. Period. And if he steps over those lines, there's no reason for us to abuse him back.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on May 02, 2015, 07:46:14 PM
I don't understand why James's past transgressions "deserve" to be punished by people abusing him with insults. Are we all going Old Testament here, an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth? What happened to trying to stand above a conflict? Or trying to resolve it?

So long as James makes non-abusive posts, he should be welcome to the community. Period. And if he steps over those lines, there's no reason for us to abuse him back.

Oh dear....apparently you've never been on the receiving end of his personal attacks. Trying to stand above a conflict? Trying to resolve it? Have you ever even dealt with James before, Brian? It was his opinion or no opinion at all. You can't reason with a brick wall.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 02, 2015, 08:29:59 PM
Oh dear....apparently you've never been on the receiving end of his personal attacks. Trying to stand above a conflict? Trying to resolve it? Have you ever even dealt with James before, Brian? It was his opinion or no opinion at all. You can't reason with a brick wall.

Rise above it. You're granting him far too much power.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Brian on May 02, 2015, 07:46:14 PM

Well, that's basically what I said. But MN Dave and Dancing are "unconvinced."

Jubal Slate

He's delivered HUNDREDS of insults. He can take one back.  :) Man, get over it.

Ken B

Quote from: MN Dave on May 03, 2015, 04:44:18 AM

I am, as can be seen above, with poco on this topic, but Dave is right about this. First thing James said to me was to call me an idiot.
Possibly in reply to my post saying "Hello."  ;)

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: MN Dave on May 03, 2015, 04:44:18 AM

I assure you I am "over it," whatever that means, and that l'affaire James is of no importance to me one way or the other. But it's amusing to point out how some people have no hesitation in employing the same tactics towards James that they complain of in him.