Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Ken B on May 03, 2015, 05:40:32 AM
I am, as can be seen above, with poco on this topic, but Dave is right about this. First thing James said to me was to call me an idiot.
Possibly in reply to my post saying "Hello."  ;)

QED; you can hardly blame him.

(And I hope a smiley is not necessary, but you never know with this crowd.)  ;D
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Jubal Slate

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on May 03, 2015, 05:41:30 AM
I assure you I am "over it," whatever that means, and that l'affaire James is of no importance to me one way or the other. But it's amusing to point out how some people have no hesitation in employing the same tactics towards James that they complain of in him.

If you see me using this tactic repeatedly (like James did), please let me know.

"...whatever that means..." See, you do the same thing, only more subtly. :D

Ken B

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on May 03, 2015, 05:42:13 AM
QED; you can hardly blame him.

(And I hope a smiley is not necessary, but you never know with this crowd.)  ;D

A smiley would hurt the joke. I always place the joke first. (And if that means James gets a seat ahead of me I can live with it.  ;D )

Que

Quote from: Ken B on May 03, 2015, 05:40:32 AM
I am, as can be seen above, with poco on this topic, but Dave is right about this. First thing James said to me was to call me an idiot.
Possibly in reply to my post saying "Hello."  ;)

Some men of a certain age, have issues.... ::)
As a member, I just avoid anyone that generates unpleasantness. No matter how interesting their posts sometimes are.

Of course in my role as a moderator things are different....

Q

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: MN Dave on May 03, 2015, 05:46:11 AM
If you see me using this tactic repeatedly (like James did), please let me know.

"...whatever that means..." See, you do the same thing, only more subtly. :D

Of course. But subtlety is everything.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Ken B on May 03, 2015, 05:50:01 AM
A smiley would hurt the joke. I always place the joke first. (And if that means James gets a seat ahead of me I can live with it.  ;D )

Quite right. Forgive me for not trusting you.

(poco) Sforzando

One last word (because I'm so over this): James's only real fault, besides over-rating Beethoven and confusing "i.e." and "e.g.," was heavy-handedness. We all have our shortcomings, and no one should ever mind being insulted so long as it's done with style. Of course the best insults are when the insultee thinks he's being complimented; i.e., WS Gilbert's remark to an actor after an execrable performance: "My dear fellow, good is not the word . . . ."

Jubal Slate

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on May 03, 2015, 06:31:36 AM
We all have our shortcomings, and no one should ever mind being insulted so long as it's done with style.

Oh, I don't agree with this at all. Either you allow insults or you don't.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: MN Dave on May 03, 2015, 06:52:12 AM
Oh, I don't agree with this at all. Either you allow insults or you don't.

Such as saying James is a dick?  ;)

Mirror Image

One final post about James:

I don't mind someone joking around with me and calling me 'idiot' or whatever as long as I know it's all in good fun, but the vindictiveness of his last post to me indicates he had no tact and, most of all, no class whatsoever. I'm frankly surprised that some people here are actually defending him. He trolled on this board all the time and I ignored him (most of the time) but any kind of reason I brought to the table when we did interact was pointless. I certainly will not miss him and I'm happy he 'left' (even though he's still registered).

Jubal Slate

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 03, 2015, 07:04:25 AM
One final post about James:

I don't mind someone joking around with me and calling me 'idiot' or whatever as long as I know it's all in good fun, but the vindictiveness of his last post to me indicates he had no tact and, most of all, no class whatsoever. I'm frankly surprised that some people here are actually defending him. He trolled on this board all the time and I ignored him (most of the time) but any kind of reason I brought to the table when we did interact was pointless. I certainly will not miss him and I'm happy he 'left' (even though he's still registered).

Not defending him. Kidding around with a sense of style is one thing, heavy-handed vindictiveness another. He never really bothered me personally, but then I generally stood up to him on the few occasions we clashed.

Oh, I am so over this.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on May 03, 2015, 02:52:43 AM
Well, that's basically what I said. But MN Dave and Dancing are "unconvinced."

If it's your contention that I must be convinced then.....wait, what were we talking about?

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Karl Henning

What. Ever.

Am I the only one here who can think for himself?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ken B

Quote from: karlhenning on May 04, 2015, 05:13:46 AM
What. Ever.

Am I the only one here who can think for himself?
No. You're also in charge of thinking for me.

Karl Henning

If you read what I said . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Ken B

Quote from: karlhenning on May 04, 2015, 08:34:44 AM
If you read what I said . . . .
Bzzt. You're in charge of reading for me too.

Karl Henning

You need to get a life.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

EigenUser

Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Dudes, my humblest apologies; I set out for the 14th Annual Rochester International Jazz Festival fully intending to report daily, but sadly, without my confoundedly complicated GMG and email passwords.  Since I don't own a blackberry or a strawberry or elderberry nor any other similarly fruitful device - nor do my parents, my hoteliers in Rochester, I was a Man With No Computer (this is the modern equivalent of a Man Without a Country or perhaps more aptly, this digital age is No Country for Old Men.   Will report on the Jazz Fest and CD purchases mañana .