Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 10, 2015, 06:50:21 PM
I do hope Scots John returns. Really like that guy and he's been nothing but nice to me.

I will send him an e-mail today: he also has a FaceBook page, but no activity there either. 
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Cato on December 11, 2015, 03:57:06 AM
I will send him an e-mail today: he also has a FaceBook page, but no activity there either.

I, too, am friends with him on Facebook.

Mirror Image

Where in the world has Nate (EigenUser) been? It's not like him to not post and I don't buy for a second that he's run out of things say about music.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Parsifal

What's this, "Greg" has resigned from GMG and no one even seems to notice this momentous event? He was the dean of the board, the epitome of GMG and now he is gone. What's left? A bunch of vainglorious posts about how someone who was music director of the Vienna Philharmonic doesn't know how to play Mozart?

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 13, 2015, 05:26:59 PM
Where in the world has Nate (EigenUser) been? It's not like him to not post and I don't buy for a second that he's run out of things say about music.

Very concerned about him myself.  Someone posted recently how "GMGers come and go" (or words to that effect) and not to be disappointed when they disappear, but damn', I gets used to folks and accustomed to their ways, however peculiar, and well, grows to like 'em. 

Brian

Quote from: Scarpia on December 18, 2015, 08:01:27 AM
What's this, "Greg" has resigned from GMG and no one even seems to notice this momentous event? He was the dean of the board, the epitome of GMG and now he is gone. What's left? A bunch of vainglorious posts about how someone who was music director of the Vienna Philharmonic doesn't know how to play Mozart?
They say that when you don't have something nice to say about someone...

kishnevi

Quote from: Scarpia on December 18, 2015, 08:01:27 AM

If it is Greg the anime and hard metal lover...he himself announced it, on the grounds that classical music had taken a back seat in his listening habits for now....

Karl Henning

But . . . I wanna hear his new waltz.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Parsifal

Quote from: Brian on December 18, 2015, 09:33:22 AM
They say that when you don't have something nice to say about someone...

Absolutely right, mum's the word.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on December 18, 2015, 08:36:40 AM
Very concerned about him myself.  Someone posted recently how "GMGers come and go" (or words to that effect) and not to be disappointed when they disappear, but damn', I gets used to folks and accustomed to their ways, however peculiar, and well, grows to like 'em.

If I like a member and have conversed with them a good bit, then, naturally, I'm going to feel some kind of void I think. He was posting at a rapid pace at one time, but I just hope everything is okay with him.

Henk

I tried to contact John some days ago on Facebook, but he didn't respond. Hope he's well.

Cato

Quote from: Henk on December 19, 2015, 02:41:22 AM
I tried to contact John some days ago on Facebook, but he didn't respond. Hope he's well.

Same here: I also sent a letter via e-mail, but nothing yet.

John has gone through phases, where there are bursts of energy, and then nothing for months.  One of his longest bursts was during the writing of a script about Hans Rott, for which I translated a good number of German documents about Rott for him, and advised him on the construction of the script.

But that was more than several years ago.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 18, 2015, 04:04:22 PM
If I like a member and have conversed with them a good bit, then, naturally, I'm going to feel some kind of void I think. He was posting at a rapid pace at one time, but I just hope everything is okay with him.

I've decided to fill that void with imaginary (but still remotely possible) dénouements for missing members.  In Nate's case, I'm convinced that Boulez discovered him and has hired him as an assistant (he likes to carry around scores with him wherever he goes and has gotten too old for that and Nate's perfect for the job).  Though it does gnaw somewhat that now he has made the grade he hasn't time for his old friends...

Mirror Image

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on December 19, 2015, 06:04:43 AM
I've decided to fill that void with imaginary (but still remotely possible) dénouements for missing members.  In Nate's case, I'm convinced that Boulez discovered him and has hired him as an assistant (he likes to carry around scores with him wherever he goes and has gotten too old for that and Nate's perfect for the job).  Though it does gnaw somewhat that now he has made the grade he hasn't time for his old friends...

:D Hah!

Karl Henning

As long as, when Boulez calls for a score, Nate teases him by handing over some other score . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: karlhenning on December 19, 2015, 06:25:53 AM
As long as, when Boulez calls for a score, Nate teases him by handing over some other score . . . .

:) ;D :laugh:
That's ok, the master has an explosive temper, Nate gets fired and has time to post again and resume his engineering career.  Everything works out in the wash.

Florestan

Quote from: karlhenning on December 19, 2015, 06:25:53 AM

I don´t think that Boulez would actually be able to notice that...  >:D >:D >:D  ;D ;D ;D  :P :P :P
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Karl Henning

And Nate gets points for knowing how to push Pierre's boutons.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

EigenUser

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 13, 2015, 05:26:59 PM
Where in the world has Nate (EigenUser) been?
Right here! :)

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on December 19, 2015, 06:04:43 AM
:laugh: HAHAHAHA this is the best story ever (but RIP Boulez... :().

I'm not at all happy about the Ken B. and Greg situations, though. That really is disappointing. I always wished Greg posted more about classical music, but people move on -- I get it. Ken, on the other hand, made so many good recommendations. We disagreed on a lot, but I enjoyed reading what he wrote. Plus, he got all of my annoying math jokes.

In memory of Ken:
https://www.youtube.com/v/FOCucJw7iT8

>:D >:D
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".