Author Topic: Fun reviews corner  (Read 34553 times)

PerfectWagnerite

Re: Fun reviews corner
« Reply #160 on: October 02, 2016, 04:37:48 AM »
Just came across this one;

http://www.classicstoday.com/review/review-13068/

And you guys think I was calling Marin Alsop names...check out what the Hurwitzer calls our young conducting friend:

This isn’t the sort of work you want to hear performed on the cheap by the Kazakhstan Philharmonic under flavor-of-the-month pretty boy conductor Nazgül Snezhek-Yéggun. Like a good chocolate truffle, if it isn’t richly decadent and luxurious, it’s just not worth the calories at any price.

PerfectWagnerite

« Reply #161 on: February 26, 2017, 06:42:19 PM »
Just to give this thread a bump...

Anyone seen this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTutmD40R9k&t=425s

Check out this comment below:

IS there a nanny goat in the room, or is that just Drucker? ONe of the worst tones ever in a major orchestra. Benny Goodman sounded better. Must have been those Rico reeds, old Stan was using.  Bernstein was the ONLY major conductor that put up with that HAM

Now I agree Druckner no way sounds liquid smooth like Robert Marcellus but to call him a HAM is stretching it a bit...

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #162 on: December 12, 2019, 06:02:22 AM »
I did not know where else to put this.
The title is

Eric Lu review – Leeds piano competition winner goes missing in action

Here’s a sample of what’s written:

”More worrying still was the sheer lack of personality in the playing, and the apparent absence of any affection for the music he had chosen to perform”.

I don’t know if this is a badly done review but it’s a pan of concert by a young pianist. I was a little taken aback by this once I started to imagine what it might be like to be a young musician receiving this kind of reaction - especially in a major publication like the Guardian. I don’t have a firm position one way or the other but it did make me wonder if this is really necessary. It’s not like there aren’t plenty of other concerts one can attend any night of the week. Why bother pooping on someone’s career even if they are terrible? On the other hand, it IS a tough world and people want to know what they’re getting for their money.
Still, I myself would have a hard time justifying printing this.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/dec/10/eric-lu-review-wigmore-hall-london

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's Twitter
« Reply #163 on: April 14, 2020, 07:55:02 AM »
Readership at MusicWeb has increased 50% since everyone in the US/UK/Europe started staying at home all the time.

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #164 on: April 15, 2020, 02:39:41 AM »
Readership at MusicWeb has increased 50% since everyone in the US/UK/Europe started staying at home all the time.

:laugh:  I've been on there a bit over the past week when I never am otherwise.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #165 on: May 02, 2020, 04:07:40 AM »

Nice!  :)

I used to be a frequent reader, now an occasional one.

If this leads to more people finding their way to more beautiful music, I'm all for it.  :) :)

Q

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #166 on: May 02, 2020, 11:56:43 PM »
I always check musicweb. The one consistent source of reviews I read, though my purchasing is way down. I have all the standard repertoire I need, and find it increasingly difficult to find new repertoire of interest (since I have a pretty extensive collection of the areas that interest me). F or example the number of new releases of interesting baroque operas not already available in good recordings has slowed to a trickle, though I found this recent aquisition very good and interesting:

Very different from the Italian Handel.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 11:59:34 PM by The new erato »

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's Twitter
« Reply #167 on: July 31, 2022, 07:08:40 PM »
Classics Today is preparing to launch a new redesigned website in a few weeks.

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Myaskovsky, Schnittke, Pettersson and others
« Reply #168 on: July 31, 2022, 10:40:24 PM »
Lemme guess... Hurwitz dot com?