eyeresist

Quintet for pianoforte three hands

Movement 1: tuning up
Movement 2: tutti pianissimo
Movement 3: presto adagio (poco poco)
Movement 4: presenting of the bill
Movement 5: the next piece (attaca)

Klaze

I don't know if it's fun, but it's at least quite deviant in style; the story of Colonel Abbado

Ten thumbs

Quote from: eyeresist on December 25, 2011, 12:10:25 AM
Quintet for pianoforte three hands

Movement 1: tuning up
Movement 2: tutti pianissimo
Movement 3: presto adagio (poco poco)
Movement 4: presenting of the bill
Movement 5: the next piece (attaca)

Hey! Is this by Thalberg too?
A day may be a destiny; for life
Lives in but little—but that little teems
With some one chance, the balance of all time:
A look—a word—and we are wholly changed.

Lethevich

While the site is even less reliable than Gramophone, I was surprised at this low from classics today:

http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=8315

A Karel Ančerl disc with a "10" for sound quality.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: Lethevich Dmitriyevna Pettersonova on November 27, 2011, 10:18:40 PM
...mists of garlic patches,spatialized...

More than a month later, the disc is still available at only $99.00!!!
http://www.amazon.com/review/RTVDGF710SHE4/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0002W1B22&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=#wasThisHelpful
"the '6 Capicci' as well, are extraordinary unaccompanied violin solos,owing to their genre, yet redefining it; brutal,lumbered,perverse,inversed graphic,gratuitous and raw almost machine like, like that is what we are suppose to be as human creators, machines,repetitive clones of what we have already created, and will create, models of ourselves..."
ZB
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Lethevich

Quote from: zamyrabyrd on January 14, 2012, 08:17:53 AM
More than a month later, the disc is still available at only $99.00!!!

I have that disc - perhaps I should sell it ;D Oh wait, this guy's review will turn anyone off from purchasing :(

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: Lethevich Dmitriyevna Pettersonova on October 25, 2011, 03:22:15 PM
For Schubert sonatas, stay with Russian artists

Hi Petterson-ova
No way!!!
This set is for playing on your computer while at work; it will not detract from your productivity
ZB
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: Klaze on December 30, 2011, 05:24:51 AM
I don't know if it's fun, but it's at least quite deviant in style; the story of Colonel Abbado

This guy is genuinely amusing and interesting. Scroll down to the "Ghost of Furtwangler".
http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/ALAJL3S09HBS7/ref=cm_pdp_rev_more?ie=UTF8&sort_by=MostRecentReview#RYLKNPV5FKXWN

His conversational style of writing is reminiscent of early 19th century critics like Berlioz and Schumann.
ZB

Brian

Quote from: zamyrabyrd on January 16, 2012, 01:54:12 AM
This guy is genuinely amusing and interesting. Scroll down to the "Ghost of Furtwangler".
http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/ALAJL3S09HBS7/ref=cm_pdp_rev_more?ie=UTF8&sort_by=MostRecentReview#RYLKNPV5FKXWN

His conversational style of writing is reminiscent of early 19th century critics like Berlioz and Schumann.
ZB

That guy is a gold mine. I especially love this:
"All great recordings are a joy to behold. This performance is energy draining. One is left listless, surly and partial to knocks on the door from people offering salvation."

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: Brian on January 16, 2012, 06:38:49 AM
That guy is a gold mine. I especially love this:
"All great recordings are a joy to behold. This performance is energy draining. One is left listless, surly and partial to knocks on the door from people offering salvation."

It would be fun to have him here... :o

knight66

Quote from: zamyrabyrd on January 16, 2012, 07:27:13 AM
It would be fun to have him here... :o

Exactly what I was thinking, bit of a polymath with a humorous edge.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: knight66 on January 16, 2012, 10:50:03 AM
Exactly what I was thinking, bit of a polymath with a humorous edge.

Mike

I took the liberty of writing to and inviting Bernard O'Hanlon to our ragtag group. As an incentive, I mentioned that Bruckner fans congregate here. He wrote he would not only be happy, but honoured to join, however, he is very busy right now. Hopefully, he may find time to visit in the future and may even stay awhile.
(BTW, the Te Deum of Bruckner conducted by Karajan was on Mezzo TV last night, a really impressive work in a regal performance that surely did it justice.)
ZB

knight66

I did wonder how he would get along here. He has very strong opinions on HIP, Abbado and a number of other matters that would provide a focus for some lively discussion, even....work for the mods if people did not appreciate his very direct views, but he would brighten things up and he has a terrific sense of style.

Mike

Lethevich

Not too fun, but a little cringe-inducing - a disc by the Ysaÿe Quartet of Debussy, Stravinsky and Fauré, by a reviewer under the misconception that all the music is by Eugène Ysaÿe.

Linky.

eyeresist

Quote from: knight66 on January 20, 2012, 11:53:53 AM
I did wonder how he would get along here. He has very strong opinions on HIP, Abbado and a number of other matters that would provide a focus for some lively discussion, even....work for the mods if people did not appreciate his very direct views, but he would brighten things up and he has a terrific sense of style.

Others might say he loves the sound of his own voice ;)

knight66

It is clear that he enjoys language and to play with it. He has a distinctive style. He is opinionated; like many here.

Mike

madaboutmahler

Quote from: knight66 on January 30, 2012, 11:41:19 AM
He is opinionated; like many here.

MAHLER IS THE GREATEST! FACT.
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

knight66

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 30, 2012, 11:46:38 AM
MAHLER IS THE GREATEST! FACT.

You are of course correct, he was the greatest composer who wrote nine symphonies and died in 1911.

Mike

The new erato

Quote from: knight66 on January 30, 2012, 12:04:42 PM
You are of course correct, he was the greatest composer who wrote nine symphonies and died in 1911.

Mike
He wasn't, but I'll admit he was one of the two greatest composers to write nine symphonies and very little else of any relevance.