Ermanno Wolf Ferrari

Started by kishnevi, October 27, 2011, 07:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kishnevi

Looking through Sara's listing, there does not seem to be a topic for Ermanno Wolf-Ferrari, so I'm starting one.

Over the last two weeks, I've gotten three CPO recordings of his orchestral works, and would like to hear some of his operatic output.  Can anyone make suggestions?

Ataraxia

Apparently not. But I am now enjoying some Wolf-Ferrari in the Suite-concertino in F, op. 16.

kishnevi

Quote from: Ataraxia on November 17, 2011, 06:15:02 PM
Apparently not. But I am now enjoying some Wolf-Ferrari in the Suite-concertino in F, op. 16.

This recording, which is one of the ones that got me interested in him, or another?[asin]B000UTOLCO[/asin]

That whole series on CPO seems well done (no surprise there).

Ataraxia

Mine is Kim Walker/London Mozart Players/Jane Glover

springrite

I really should let people who know his operas more to reply first. But since no one has done so, I will comment a little bit based on the little that I know and have heard.

The only one of his opera that i have heard more than once (on the radio) was the Secret of Susanna. Nice little work. I heard all his operas (maybe 4 of them) on the radio and remember loving some of the interludes immensely. They seem far more memorable than the singing parts.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Scion7

Several pieces appear to be unpublished, so finding a recording would be near nil, unless a musicologist has gone and photocopied* some manuscripts.

Will we ever hear:

String Quintet from 1894

Sonata in F, Op.25, for 2 violins & piano, from 1943

String Trio in a, Op.32 in a, from 1945

Cello Sonata in G, Op.30, from 1945

Duo in g, Op.33 for violin & cello, from 1946

Introduzione e balletto, Op.35 for violin & cello, also from '46

:-X

* and corrected
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."