Beethoven Symphonies HIP

Started by Expresso, July 04, 2007, 04:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

max

Quote from: Ken B on July 25, 2014, 11:43:37 AM
Okay, now you're just speculating.

Actually I'm not. Evidently in a restaurant LvB threw what was served directly into the waiter's face. When tasting what was boomeranged he said "rather good" or something to that effect. Beethoven then, not being completely without humor especially at someone else's expense broke out into one big belly laugh. By all accounts this was something he was completely capable of.

Pat B

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 25, 2014, 09:28:46 AM
All I can say is; listen to Klemp if you want, don't make yourself feel better by imagining Beethoven would have agreed with you.   ::)

+1, and I'd add: please don't come onto a HIP thread to rehash strawmen about HIP.

FWIW I do enjoy Klemperer's set, and many other conventional performances, along with many PI ones.

Ken B

Quote from: Pat B on June 25, 2014, 08:45:43 PM
I was under the (severely wrong) impression that the Penguin Guide was authoritative.
If you wanted a recommendation for a British performer, preferably in a British work, on a British label, or Karajan, then the Penguin Guide was perfect. I learned to trust it for comments on sound quality mostly.

Pat B

Quote from: Ken B on July 25, 2014, 03:29:45 PM
If you wanted a recommendation for a British performer, preferably in a British work, on a British label, or Karajan, then the Penguin Guide was perfect. I learned to trust it for comments on sound quality mostly.

In my defense, I figured it out about 15 years ago.

Ken B

Quote from: Pat B on July 25, 2014, 03:51:44 PM
In my defense, I figured it out about 15 years ago.
Back in the early 80s they hated Walcha, Harnoncourt, Leonhardt. I learned fast that for Baroque music they were almost perfect south-facing compasses.  So I relied on them :)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Ken B on July 25, 2014, 03:29:45 PM
This is just not true.

Here are their recs for Beethoven 6:
Sony/Columbia SO/Walter
DG/VPO/Boehm
Naxos/BBC SO/Toscanini
Cala/City SO/Stokowski
Testament/BPO/Klemperer
EMI/Philharmonic O./Klemperer
Warner/COE/Harnoncourt
EMI/Philadelphia O/Muti
Sony/RPO/Beecham
EMI/New PO/Giulini
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

jlaurson

Quote from: mc ukrneal on July 26, 2014, 12:10:26 AM
This is just not true.

Sony/Columbia SO/Walter
DG/VPO/Boehm
Naxos/BBC SO/Toscanini
Cala/City SO/Stokowski
Testament/BPO/Klemperer
Warner/COE/Harnoncourt
EMI/Philadelphia O/Muti
Sony/RPO/Beecham
EMI/New PO/Giulini

Far more Germans than Brits.

Klemperer had been adopted, courtesy Legge. New PO makes that recording English with Giulini... ditto BBC SO...  ;)

prémont

Quote from: Ken B on July 25, 2014, 06:14:55 PM
Back in the early 80s they hated Walcha, Harnoncourt, Leonhardt. I learned fast that for Baroque music they were almost perfect south-facing compasses.  So I relied on them :)

Strange to see Walcha and Leonhardt mentioned in the same breath. What do they have in common?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Pat B

Whatever British bias they have doesn't bother me much since it is a British publication. My bigger problem is that their reviews were unreliable to the extent that I think I'd do about as well to pick recordings at random. Unlike Ken I never found any "south-facing compass" effect.

Pat B

Quote from: (: premont :) on July 26, 2014, 03:29:19 AM
Strange to see Walcha and Leonhardt mentioned in the same breath. What do they have in common?

I'll take a stab at that: What Walcha and Leonhardt had in common is that Penguin didn't like them nearly as much as Ken does.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: mc ukrneal on July 26, 2014, 12:10:26 AM
This is just not true.

Sony/Columbia SO/Walter
DG/VPO/Boehm
Naxos/BBC SO/Toscanini
Cala/City SO/Stokowski
Testament/BPO/Klemperer
Warner/COE/Harnoncourt
EMI/Philadelphia O/Muti
Sony/RPO/Beecham
EMI/New PO/Giulini

Nearly all old time dead guys. Why am I not surprised? Great list for 1970 wit ha couple of oldies tossed in... ::)

I'll take the Harnoncourt. :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 26, 2014, 06:03:48 AM
Nearly all old time dead guys. Why am I not surprised? Great list for 1970 wit ha couple of oldies tossed in... ::)

I'll take the Harnoncourt. :-

8)

Or Immerseel.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ken B

Quote from: (: premont :) on July 26, 2014, 03:29:19 AM
Walcha's WTC on the harpsichord on Archiv. So, original instruments is the answer to your question.

Ken B

Quote from: Pat B on July 26, 2014, 03:35:17 AM
I'll take a stab at that: What Walcha and Leonhardt had in common is that Penguin didn't like them nearly as much as Ken does.
Could be. There doesn't really have to be a simple unifying explanation does there? Back when period performance was still a bit fringe I found them to be a south facing compass on all things baroque. They gushed over Klemp"s Matthew, which I think the worst commercial recording ever made ( and yes I include The Monkees and The Archies). They liked Sargent's Messiah. They liked Karajan's Bach orchestral suites I recall. So, they were a reliable source  8)

mc ukrneal

8)
Oldies, but goodies! :) In fairness, the book is from 2006 I think, so it would not have the rash of new releases, but still, only one from the 90's. It's the only one in that Harnoncourt box that I think is well done. At least he got my favorite Beethoven symphony right! :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Gurn Blanston

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Wakefield

8)

Inside that Tibetan Book of the Dead, it wasn't too much hard to choose Harnoncourt, as Muti is the only another one alive.  ;D
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordo on July 26, 2014, 11:52:43 AM
Inside that Tibetan Book of the Dead, it wasn't too much hard to choose Harnoncourt, as Muti is the only another one alive.  ;D

:D  Yeah, so I guess I don't need to subscribe to Penguin, eh?  Unless it is in replacement of the obituary section of my newspaper (about which, I saw the obit of my newspaper recently: online!).  >:D

8)

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Expresso on July 04, 2007, 04:07:15 AM
I've just noticed that i don't have any HIP Beethoven symphonies  :(
Which ones should i try? Harnoncourt, Zinman, Norrington or someone else?

I'm not interested solely on box sets, i might pick single CD's from many conductors.

I'd recommend these HIP sets (in order):

1. Immerseel

2. Brüggen (his first set from 1995)

3. Gardiner

And for modern instruments with an HIP influence, I'd recommend Harnoncourt.