Author Topic: The Worst First!  (Read 48964 times)

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
Re: The Worst First!
« Reply #340 on: September 03, 2018, 01:30:58 AM »
As pointed out above the 'Study' symphony in F minor was Bruckner's first completed symphony and it is sometimes called No '00'. It was followed by the D minor symphony. Next Bruckner wrote the C minor symphony now known as No 1. It received a hostile reception when performed and Bruckner returned to the D minor symphony and revised it; he then put it aside and started another symphony in C minor, now known as No 2. Thirty years later Bruckner revised No 1 and looked at the D minor Symphony and gave the name No 0; it wasn't performed in Bruckner's lifetime.

No 1 in C minor is the first Bruckner symphony I ever heard (Jochum/Berlin PO) and I think it is a fine work.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #341 on: September 03, 2018, 03:35:37 AM »
As pointed out above the 'Study' symphony in F minor was Bruckner's first completed symphony and it is sometimes called No '00'. It was followed by the D minor symphony. Next Bruckner wrote the C minor symphony now known as No 1. It received a hostile reception when performed and Bruckner returned to the D minor symphony and revised it; he then put it aside and started another symphony in C minor, now known as No 2. Thirty years later Bruckner revised No 1 and looked at the D minor Symphony and gave the name No 0; it wasn't performed in Bruckner's lifetime.

No 1 in C minor is the first Bruckner symphony I ever heard (Jochum/Berlin PO) and I think it is a fine work.

+ 1. The scherzo is one of Bruckner’s very best and the explosive beginning of the finale is a knockout moment. It always reminds me of Helgoland in its fiery grandeur - although the latter was composed at the tail end of Bruckner’s career.

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #342 on: September 03, 2018, 03:58:06 AM »

+ 1. The scherzo is one of Bruckner’s very best and the explosive beginning of the finale is a knockout moment. It always reminds me of Helgoland in its fiery grandeur - although the latter was composed at the tail end of Bruckner’s career.

Two big AMENS!   0:)   0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #343 on: September 03, 2018, 04:21:40 AM »

Recent scholarship puts the D minor after the C minor, which is one reason why I think the "No. 0" thing that people use is misleading at best.  "No. 00," of course, makes no sense whatsoever, but it's the only symphony Bruckner wrote in F minor, so it's easy to refer to it by that, unfortunately, he wrote a few others in D minor...
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg