The Most "MOVING" Pieces for you Personally.

Started by dave b, March 22, 2008, 06:56:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan

Quote from: relm1 on July 21, 2021, 05:45:10 AMLepo Sumera Symphony No. 2
Kevin Puts Symphony No. 2
Mahler Symphony No. 2*, 3, 9, 10
Shostakovich Symphony No. 13
Haug Symphony No. 1
Finzi Fall of the Leaf
Tippett A Child of Our Time
RVW: Symphony No. 9 (really all the symphonies), Pilgrims Progress
Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet (especially ending)
Handel: The Messiah (Worthy Is the Lamb and Amen are especially moving culmination)
Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6 and Swan Lake (especially life where you're fully involved with the three hour spectacle)
Gorecki Symphony No. 3
Elgar Cello Concerto, Violin Concerto, Dream of Gerontius
Part Berliner messe

* This will forever hold a very special place in my life because it was the first professional orchestral performance I attended and I was so moved by the experience.  I wish I could email the conductor who is still alive to tell him that it changed my life but I don't know how to find him.

Re your Mahler 2 experience - you really should try and send a message to the conductor - its the kind of thing that performers truly appreciate and value.  A lot of the time it can feel as if you perform in a kind of vacuum otherwise.

relm1

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 15, 2023, 12:17:14 AMRe your Mahler 2 experience - you really should try and send a message to the conductor - its the kind of thing that performers truly appreciate and value.  A lot of the time it can feel as if you perform in a kind of vacuum otherwise.

I tried!  I sent a note but it was never received.  The conductor is Christoph Eschenbach if anyone knows how I can send him a note that might make it to him.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: relm1 on July 15, 2023, 05:38:25 AMI tried!  I sent a note but it was never received.  The conductor is Christoph Eschenbach if anyone knows how I can send him a note that might make it to him.
Did you try any of these kontakts?  https://christopheschenbach.com/en/kontakt/ ?  I think that I'd be tempted to try the general management one first.  I suspect that a handwritten note sent there would get noticed.   :)

Looks like he also has an Instagram and a Facebook page too.

Good luck!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

relm1

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 15, 2023, 12:47:48 PMDid you try any of these kontakts?  https://christopheschenbach.com/en/kontakt/ ?  I think that I'd be tempted to try the general management one first.  I suspect that a handwritten note sent there would get noticed.   :)

Looks like he also has an Instagram and a Facebook page too.

Good luck!

PD

I tried the instagram and Facebook which is why I know it was never received.  It clearly is a managed account maybe from his PR/management firm but I haven't tried contacting them.  Will try sending a letter to them, great idea!

W.A. Mozart

I was relistening to the Violin Sonata No. 27 of Mozart in the last days and I was thinking that this is an example of a piece that I find highly moving. Something that would be suited to score a sad scene in a film.

Roasted Swan

A lot of passages of music get to me.  Here are a couple off the top of my head (I love both these works in full but these are the moments that really turn the knife!;

* The horn solo in "September" and the violin solo in "Beim Schlafengehen" both from the 4 Last Songs by Strauss
* The transition to and then the following "Journey through the Pine Forest" from The Nutcracker

Dave B

I just rejoined last night and saw my ancient thread here from 2008, still going. And I thought I left no legacy.
Moving pieces. Handel HWV 324 Concerto Grosso in G Minor, iii Musette Larghetto.

Luke

A few ideas, just off the top of my head, including some rather unusual ones. These are some of the countless pieces which leave me feeling thoughtful and moved. The list is extremely expandable, though. Many of these composers could be represented a lot more than they are, for a start, not to think of all the others...

Janacek - the central songs of The Diary of One Who Disappeared are like a kind of dark sunshine, innocent yet erotic, and sheer magic.
Brahms - Alto Rhapsody - unutterably moving. The piece that saved William Styron from suicide. It's 'ein Ton seinem Ohre vernehmlich' reached him just in time.
Mahler - Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen - well, of course. 
Schoeck - Elegie, all of it  - it's absolutely extraordinary from first to last - but particularly the 15th song, Herbstgefuhl. One of the most intense, hypnotic things I have ever heard. 
Ravel - II of the Concerto in G. Sheer lustrous, magical poetry.
Part - My Heart's in the Highlands - amid so much unutterably beautiful music it is this little song - which transfigures the Scottish landscape, which I love deeply, into the something truly spiritual it really is - that actually moves me most of Part's compositions.
Gurney - Severn Meadows - Unbearably poignant.
Elgar - Violin Concerto - The soul of the violin, indeed. Its aeolian harp cadenza is pure wonder.
Kyle Gann - So Many Little Dyings - A slow burn, as the microtonal samples gradually accumulate and bring acceptance
Holger Czukay - Boatwoman Song - One of my very favourite things, and uniquely unclassifiable - all the better for it. Moves me for multiple reasons, personal, symbolic, artistic, and for its simple but visionary perspective on the world. The tonal shift near the end is a chilling slipping of of the moorings.
Mozart - II of K364 (Sinfonia Concertante) - For it's dark, burnished meditation. But also Michael Nyman's methodical, process driven reworking of it in Trysting Fields (from Drowning by Numbers), for different reasons.
Schubert - II of the Quintet in C - obviously.
Beethoven - Heilige Dankgesang.
Birtwistle - Oockooing Bird - the young composer coming to terms with his place in the world.

Brian

Quote from: Dave B on October 30, 2023, 08:12:11 AMI just rejoined last night and saw my ancient thread here from 2008, still going. And I thought I left no legacy.
Moving pieces. Handel HWV 324 Concerto Grosso in G Minor, iii Musette Larghetto.
Thanks so much for reviving your thread! I had never heard this piece before so just put it on. It is very consoling, especially after the anger earlier in the piece. And the way that some instruments duet with each other sounds magically like people are singing.

Dave B

I have other favorites, like we all do, but this piece is in a class by itself.

Opus131

Moving can mean many things, but if we are talking the most heartfelt or emotionally moving works, i'm going to have to rank Schubert's String Quintet as among my top picks.

Ian

Ravel - Ma mère l'oie
Saint-Saëns - Prière Op.158
Vaughan Williams - Serenade in A minor (all of it but the 4th "romance" movement in particular)
Vaughan Williams - too many others to list.
Delius - Florida suite, Daybreak
Gurney - A Gloucestershire Rhapsody
Mertens - The paths not taken
Mertens - Wound to wound
Glass - Satyagraha, Act III, Evening song

The last one may be surprising in light of my confession of not liking, with very few exceptions, opera or vocal music. This is one of those exceptions. But the orchestral version is moving too.