Unpopular Opinions

Started by The Six, November 11, 2011, 10:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: The new erato on January 05, 2016, 01:16:14 AM
I think it mainly depends on how well it's sung.

That depends on whether we're dealing with an unsung composer or not.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Brahmsian

Quote from: Monsieur Croche on January 04, 2016, 05:20:30 PM
J. S. Bach's music is always perfectly crafted, and very near to always it is also perfectly boring.

Posted in the right thread!  ;D

Karl Henning

Well, an opinion that Bach's music is boring is certainly true to the thread  ;)

Quote from: ChamberNut on January 05, 2016, 05:01:48 AM

Oh! And Ray got there first!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Baroque and Classical Era music is for wimps! Is this unpopular enough? :laugh:

P.S. I really don't think this to be the case of course but I remember running across someone saying this on another forum years ago. This said, I love me some Haydn, Vivaldi, Corelli, Rebel, and Rameau.

Monsieur Croche

'J. S. Bach's music is always perfectly crafted, and very near to always it is also perfectly boring."

Quote from: ChamberNut on January 05, 2016, 05:01:48 AM

Best here, and always better than posting the above in Ukase - like tone, as if a universally true statement, as the heading of a new thread.

I must point out that many an unpopular opinion may not necessarily be untrue, anymore than popular opinion is what selects the greatest composers or their greatest works.
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

jochanaan

Quote from: Monsieur Croche on January 04, 2016, 05:20:30 PM
J. S. Bach's music is always perfectly crafted, and very near to always it is also perfectly boring.
Definitely a half-unpopular opinion! ;D
Imagination + discipline = creativity

The Six

The "durr that opinion sure is unpopular! hyuk hyuk"  line is unfunny and tired. Get it outta here.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: The Six on January 08, 2016, 09:31:19 PM
The "durr that opinion sure is unpopular! hyuk hyuk"  line is unfunny and tired. Get it outta here.

There's gotta be SOME substance in this thread! :D

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

The Six

You can start contributing anytime!

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: The Six on January 08, 2016, 09:49:19 PM
You can start contributing anytime!

There's more than one way to contribute to a non-thread! :laugh:

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

The Six

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on January 09, 2016, 08:32:02 AM
There's more than one way to contribute to a non-thread! :laugh:

And you can start anytime!

some guy

Do you have to read through all sixty-one pages before you can play?

I hope not.

I'll post anyway, just in case the answer is "no."

Here's a genuinely unpopular opinion: music is sufficient, complete in itself, needing nothing else for it to be totally satisfying.

Truly. Try that out sometime in a roomful of music lovers. You'll get your ass handed to you. I hope on a platter, of course. Your antagonists have some class, I hope. :P

mc ukrneal

Quote from: some guy on January 09, 2016, 09:58:41 AM
Here's a genuinely unpopular opinion: music is sufficient, complete in itself, needing nothing else for it to be totally satisfying.
I haven't a clue what that is even supposed to mean. Or is that too popular an opinion?!?!? :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Madiel

I hope not.

Truly. Try that out sometime in a roomful of music lovers. You'll get your ass handed to you. I hope on a platter, of course. Your antagonists have some class, I hope. :P

No, the unpopular opinion is: it is wrong to add anything to music, especially a sense of meaning.

At least, that is the opinion that is unpopular with me. Maybe others have argued that something must be added. I have been arguing against the proposition that nothing must be added.

Whereas the opinion you're expressing right now is one I would happily live with.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Monsieur Croche

I hope not.

That is a repoussé platter with some chased detail, if they have any 'class' at all, if you please.

How you dress that ass handed to you on that platter so the entire presentation has some class, I dunno. Ask a cosmetician, or chef [or both], I guess.
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

jochanaan

...Here's a genuinely unpopular opinion: music is sufficient, complete in itself, needing nothing else for it to be totally satisfying....
Oh, that's not an unpopular opinion, at least with me.  I would only add: "SOME music is..." 8)
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Dancing Divertimentian

Dancing Divertimentian

Dancing Divertimentian

It's a laugh a minute...don't miss out...