Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

"I try to tell them nicely, but they just come back for more . . . ."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

71 dB

Quote from: Jo498 on June 06, 2017, 03:44:54 AM
You are really living in the worst place if you are not fond of Sibelius. If you go to Austria, France or southern Europe, I don't think Sibelius is very popular there.

At some point in history French people considered Sibelius the "worst composer in the world." That's being TOO negative. Sibelius isn't THAT bad...  0:)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

71 dB

Quote from: North Star on June 06, 2017, 04:56:10 AM
Every so often, young men wearing suits ride their bikes to my door, ring the bell and ask whether I've heard of Sibelius...

Young men wearing suits came to our door when I was a teenager. They didn't talk about Sibelius. Instead they talked about creation (at that time ID wasn't invented yet I believe) and I had to educate those morons about evolution. They left fast in confusion. :P  :D

Uhor

Don't forget horizontal gene transfer.

Ken B

Quote from: 71 dB on June 06, 2017, 01:52:19 AM
No you don't, trust me. We live on a planet where worshipping Sibelius is considered a virtue and any critisism against his music is considered heretic and is frown upon. I am forever considered an outcast because of my opinions of Sibelius. How easy life would be if I simply found Sibelius as great a composer as Elgar? But I don't. To make it worse, I don't even life in the UK! I live in the worst possible place in this sense, Finland!  ???

Unlike me, you may have hope so I recommend you to turn to Sibelius nuts instead. Your life will be so much easier if you just worship every note Sibelius ever composed. That's because there is this principle called accumulation of advantage.
Pffft. Try being a La Mer skeptic.

PerfectWagnerite

71dB you are really a broken record. Having been on this forum for 10 yrs (sadly) this must be the 10th time you have hijacked a thread with your endless drivel regarding your disdain for certain "popular" composers. We get it that you don"get" Sibelius, or that you think Dittersdorf is as great a composer as Bach. Instead of just saying you don't like their music you have to go out of your way to marginalize their greatness which is the part I don't understand. There are a number of "greats" that I don't really get (Brahms, most of Schumann) but I would never for a second doubt that their works are great in every sense of the word.

BTW who has said on this forum said that every single note that Sibelius has ever written is great?

Mahlerian

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on June 06, 2017, 09:37:12 AMBTW who has said on this forum said that every single note that Sibelius has ever written is great?

Given the amount of mediocre music he spun out on a regular basis, I'd be surprised if anyone said that.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

71 dB

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on June 06, 2017, 09:37:12 AM
71dB you are really a broken record. Having been on this forum for 10 yrs (sadly)

12 years I believe...  :P

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on June 06, 2017, 09:37:12 AMthis must be the 10th time you have hijacked a thread with your endless drivel regarding your disdain for certain "popular" composers.

10 times sounds about right.

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on June 06, 2017, 09:37:12 AMWe get it that you don"get" Sibelius, or that you think Dittersdorf is as great a composer as Bach.

I have never said Dittersdorf is as great a composer as Bach. Well, maybe as great as a lesser Bach, but not J.S., not even close! However, I think Dittersdorf was a great composer of his time and in that sense overlooked compared to how celebrated Haydn (not Michael, but the other one  :D ) is.

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on June 06, 2017, 09:37:12 AMInstead of just saying you don't like their music you have to go out of your way to marginalize their greatness which is the part I don't understand.

The greatness of most composers is passively marginalized all the time by ignorance.

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on June 06, 2017, 09:37:12 AMThere are a number of "greats" that I don't really get (Brahms, most of Schumann) but I would never for a second doubt that their works are great in every sense of the word.

Why not doubt? Are you so certain of the correctness of history? I am the first person to admit that Brahms wrote very good chamber music, but are his symphonies really that great after all or is it just an example of the principle of cumulative advantage?

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on June 06, 2017, 09:37:12 AMBTW who has said on this forum said that every single note that Sibelius has ever written is great?

Probably nobody, but it's only a matter of time before someone does.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: 71 dB on June 06, 2017, 10:32:11 AM

The greatness of most composers is passively marginalized all the time by ignorance.

And why do you think most think the Haydn (not Michael, although it would be close) is a better composer than Dittersdorf? Is it some kind of conspiracy theory?

Quote from: 71 dB on June 06, 2017, 10:32:11 AM

but are his symphonies really that great after all or is it just an example of the principle of cumulative advantage?

Yes they are that great, every single one of them, every movt a textbook on form whether it is sonata, theme and variation, or passacaglia. That I have zero doubt.

Jo498

Again, outside Finland not being extremely fond of Sibelius is hardly out of the ordinary.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

71 dB

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on June 06, 2017, 11:05:28 AM
And why do you think most think the Haydn (not Michael, although it would be close) is a better composer than Dittersdorf? Is it some kind of conspiracy theory?

Even I consider Haydn a better composer, but just a little, not 10 times better.

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on June 06, 2017, 11:05:28 AMYes they are that great, every single one of them, every movt a textbook on form whether it is sonata, theme and variation, or passacaglia. That I have zero doubt.

So, being a textbook on form is all music is?  ::)

mc ukrneal

There's always a flavor of the month here (and some seem to last years). When the comments are insightful, or challenging, or observant, or somehow educating, then I still enjoy the discussions. When the comments go on and on and on about how wonderful and great and wonderful said composer is without much else to say (outside of the composer thread about that composer, which I think should be a place to discuss the composers without the nay-sayers), then the discussion can get tedious, mostly because of the sheer repetition.

I do believe that part of it is the belief that some pieces are 'deeper' than others (which then translates to the value of the composer), particularly dark, brooding works of some length and thus, there is more 'worth' to those pieces (and composers). It's like the argument that it's easier to be funny than to be serious (thinking of films, but it applies to music too). I think it's nonsense, but a lot of people adhere to it. That doesn't mean we have to agree with them.

The 'great' conversation about composers tends to be too opinion driven without enough discussion for the underlying reasons. And then it's just a matter of who can shout louder. Gives me a headache - especially on forums like this, where there's a lot of shouting at times! :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

PerfectWagnerite

This seems to be the right thread though for shouting over one another.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Crudblud on June 04, 2017, 09:25:40 AM
Unpopular opinion: Sibelius's Symphony No. 4 is practically ruined by a lightweight, miserable puff of a finale. I think it's a real shame that the three incredibly strong movements preceding it should be capped off in such a way.

HAhaah, I think it is texturally rather thin, but perhaps a new interpretation could be made out of this finale to give it some emotional depth

amw

Quote from: Jo498 on June 06, 2017, 11:23:31 AM
Again, outside Finland not being extremely fond of Sibelius is hardly out of the ordinary.
Well, outside Finland and this particular internet forum. >_>

Madiel

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on June 06, 2017, 09:37:12 AM
71dB you are really a broken record. Having been on this forum for 10 yrs (sadly) this must be the 10th time you have hijacked a thread with your endless drivel regarding your disdain for certain "popular" composers.

This is the unpopular opinions thread. It's not exactly a hijacking when someone goes against the flow. Nor did 71dB start the talk about Sibelius.

I mean, I nearly died when there was talk against the 4th symphony, so I know whodunnit.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: ørfeo on June 07, 2017, 03:33:13 AM
This is the unpopular opinions thread. It's not exactly a hijacking when someone goes against the flow. Nor did 71dB start the talk about Sibelius.

I mean, I nearly died when there was talk against the 4th symphony, so I know whodunnit.
True. I was wrong to call him out.

Crudblud

Quote from: ørfeo on June 07, 2017, 03:33:13 AM

Two souls destined to clash whenever and wherever we meet.

Jo498

I also think that the finale of Sibelius' 4th is somewhat irritating with that strange "bimm bamm". Apparently there seems to be a discussion what kind of bells or glockenspiel Sibelius had in mind with some people trying different bells for a more sombre sound. But I don't think that it ruins the whole piece.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!