Author Topic: Unpopular Opinions  (Read 299367 times)

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
Re: Unpopular Opinions
« Reply #2760 on: November 19, 2020, 03:46:16 AM »
I'll take that "phonorrhea" any time over Mompou's particular brand of "phono-inopia".  ;)

Needless to say, for me it's the other way around.  :D

Buna dimineata, Andrei.

Actually, at this time of the day (past noon) it's Bună ziua. We say Bună dimineața only until noon. And after 6 pm it's Bună seara. Colloquially and only with very close relatives and friends, at any time we say just "Bună" which is like Hola!.
“Especially as far as I am concerned, romanticism is not the bloodless intellectual commitment to a program, but the expression of my most profound mind and soul.” --- Sergei Bortkiewicz (1877-1952)

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #2761 on: November 19, 2020, 04:55:46 AM »
And suddenly the relationship between Romanian and Italian is laid bare.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #2762 on: November 19, 2020, 07:46:00 AM »
And suddenly the relationship between Romanian and Italian is laid bare.

:D

There's much more. For instance:

Come ti chiamo? / Cum te cheamă?

Che fai? Ce faci?

Lasciatemi cantare / Lăsați-mă să cânt

Il barbiere di Siviglia / Bărbierul din Sevilla

etc etc etc.

Many Italians have told me that Romanian sounds quite close to certain Southern Italian dialects such as Napolitan or Sardinian. For instance, a Napolitan chick told me that once she was with her friends on a Romanian seaside beach and heard someone telling their kid: Dezbracă-te. They instantly understood that the kid was told to undress, because in Napolitan it's Sbracati! (the written forms are similar enough but the pronunciations are even closer).

In my experience an educated Romanian can, with a little practice, understand at least 75% of written and spoken Italian without ever studying it proper. And if they have a native talent for languages --- yours truly, for instance --- the percentage goes to 90%. The other way around, though, is generally not valid.

And btw, Romanian is also very similar to Catalan, there are a lot of words and even combination of words which are written exactly the same.

“Especially as far as I am concerned, romanticism is not the bloodless intellectual commitment to a program, but the expression of my most profound mind and soul.” --- Sergei Bortkiewicz (1877-1952)

Online ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
« Reply #2763 on: November 19, 2020, 07:54:04 AM »
Needless to say, for me it's the other way around.  :D

Actually, at this time of the day (past noon) it's Bună ziua. We say Bună dimineața only until noon. And after 6 pm it's Bună seara. Colloquially and only with very close relatives and friends, at any time we say just "Bună" which is like Hola!.
Thanks for the explanation, Andrei. I would have thought it was something like that. The thing is in Spain we'll say buenos días until lunchtime. And since lunchtime is between 2 and 3 pm, our mornings are longer that elsewhere  ;).
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Je recommence ma vie
Je suis né pour te connaître
Pour te nommer

Liberté »

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #2764 on: November 19, 2020, 07:58:14 AM »
Thanks for the explanation, Andrei. I would have thought it was something like that. The thing is in Spain we'll say buenos días until lunchtime. And since lunchtime is between 2 and 3 pm, our mornings are longer that elsewhere  ;).

I'm aware of that. You Spaniards just love to taaaaaake yooooooour tiiiiiiiiiime.  :D.