Author Topic: Unpopular Opinions  (Read 398744 times)

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
Re: Unpopular Opinions
« Reply #3040 on: September 23, 2022, 08:56:09 AM »
What is interesting about Messiaen is the titles of his works or movements, not the music in itself.

Just found out he wrote an opera, almost 4 hours long. Holy sh...  >:D
Music is life, and like it, inextinguishable.

I love the vast surface of silence; and it is my chief delight to break it.

Carl Nielsen

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #3041 on: September 23, 2022, 09:31:49 AM »
What is interesting about Messiaen is the titles of his works or movements, not the music in itself.

Just found out he wrote an opera, almost 4 hours long. Holy sh... >:D

An amateur., honestly There is this guy who wrote several operas which, though not exactly four-hour long, sound as they are six-hour long and some of which must be performed on four consecutive nights.  ;D
"In religion, philosophy and morality, obedience; in art and literature, independence." - Ricardo Viñes

Offline Lisztianwagner

• Veteran member
  • Wo die Macht der Worte endet, beginnt die Musik.
  • Currently Listening to:
    Classical Music; Wagner, Liszt, Mahler, Beethoven, Rachmaninov, J. Strauss, Tchaikovsky, R.Strauss, Ravel, Sibelius, Chopin, Holst, Prokofiev, Debussy, Shostakovich, Nielsen, Dvořák, Schönberg and Zemlinsky. And many more......
« Reply #3042 on: September 23, 2022, 09:52:24 AM »
An amateur., honestly There is this guy who wrote several operas which, though not exactly four-hour long, sound as they are six-hour long and some of which must be performed on four consecutive nights;D

My ears must be burning.  ::) :D
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #3043 on: September 23, 2022, 10:43:27 AM »
An amateur., honestly There is this guy who wrote several operas which, though not exactly four-hour long, sound as they are six-hour long and some of which must be performed on four consecutive nights.  ;D

Even if the operas by the guy you're invoking lasted more than 4 hours each, I'd be very happy listening to them instead of the Messiaen.  ;)
Music is life, and like it, inextinguishable.

I love the vast surface of silence; and it is my chief delight to break it.

Carl Nielsen

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #3044 on: September 24, 2022, 04:07:18 AM »
Even if the operas by the guy you're invoking lasted more than 4 hours each, I'd be very happy listening to them instead of the Messiaen.  ;)

I'll have belcanto over both, thank you.  :D
"In religion, philosophy and morality, obedience; in art and literature, independence." - Ricardo Viñes

Offline pjme

• Veteran member
« Reply #3045 on: September 25, 2022, 11:54:59 PM »
The scenes with The angel are magical though...and I look forward to any new production of Saint François over any Traviata or Butterfly or Rheingold.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/FJyTAnRg-NQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/FJyTAnRg-NQ</a>