Unpopular Opinions

Started by The Six, November 11, 2011, 10:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

What is interesting about Messiaen is the titles of his works or movements, not the music in itself.

Just found out he wrote an opera, almost 4 hours long. Holy sh...  >:D
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Florestan

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 23, 2022, 09:56:09 AM
What is interesting about Messiaen is the titles of his works or movements, not the music in itself.

Just found out he wrote an opera, almost 4 hours long. Holy sh... >:D

An amateur., honestly There is this guy who wrote several operas which, though not exactly four-hour long, sound as they are six-hour long and some of which must be performed on four consecutive nights.  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Florestan on September 23, 2022, 10:31:49 AM
An amateur., honestly There is this guy who wrote several operas which, though not exactly four-hour long, sound as they are six-hour long and some of which must be performed on four consecutive nights;D

My ears must be burning.  ::) :D
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Florestan on September 23, 2022, 10:31:49 AM
An amateur., honestly There is this guy who wrote several operas which, though not exactly four-hour long, sound as they are six-hour long and some of which must be performed on four consecutive nights.  ;D

Even if the operas by the guy you're invoking lasted more than 4 hours each, I'd be very happy listening to them instead of the Messiaen.  ;)
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Florestan

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 23, 2022, 11:43:27 AM
Even if the operas by the guy you're invoking lasted more than 4 hours each, I'd be very happy listening to them instead of the Messiaen.  ;)

I'll have belcanto over both, thank you.  :D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

pjme

The scenes with The angel are magical though...and I look forward to any new production of Saint François over any Traviata or Butterfly or Rheingold.

https://www.youtube.com/v/FJyTAnRg-NQ

Roy Bland

Florestan