Unpopular Opinions

Started by The Six, November 11, 2011, 10:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

Quote from: Jo498 on June 10, 2017, 01:46:58 PM
UO 1: Most comic books and movies based on comic books are infantile, ridiculous and not worth the time.
UO 2: It is surprising that even among cultured adults [i.e. people who can and regularly do read books without pictures] UO 1 really seems to be an UO.

UO1: I Agree. What's the fascination of Batman or Superman? Those characters don't even look interesting. The "superpowers" and weaknesses given to these characters are mostly stupid.

UO2: I don't agree with this. Even the most cultured people may want to spend their time on less cultured things too. At least my mind likes to oscillate between smart and silly things, between Bach and Katy Perry for example. I have been listening to Schiff's Bach (Partitas) and Katy Perry's new album Witness on Spotify lately.  0:) Silly things are ok as long you know they are silly.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Karl Henning

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 10, 2017, 01:26:43 PM
That may need to be moved to the Popular Opinions thread.

I will not contest that decision.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Uhor

It wouldn't be agreeable or truly interesting to neorologically manipulate many-legged-creatures to produce their/an analog of music (quite close for some spiders) under different stimuli, but fun for a while.

Todd

I like the Schalk edition of Bruckner's Fifth.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Robert101

Brian

Quote from: Todd on June 21, 2017, 06:35:34 AM

Covered in The Asian Invasion.
I just sampled several bits of that recording and the only (Schalk-induced, I think) thing I really hated was the lack of/glossed-over contrapuntal trumpets coming in with the first movement theme in the very last bars.

amw

A certain Hans Knappertsbusch conducted that edition and did a fairly good job of it in my view.

My only issue with the Schalk edition is that the last movement kind of stops making sense as a sonata-fugue hybrid if you remove the recapitulation (which Schalk does). However even then, Bruckner authorized Schalk to make the arrangement and was satisfied with the results, or at least so Mr. Knappertsbusch believed, and by leaving the fugue writing uninterrupted we certainly get a more exciting and dramatic flow of music targeting the coda as eventual goal.

I listen to it fairly often although not as often as Dohnányi & Cleveland conducting the original flavour Fifth. And Jochum in Amsterdam but that is more of a special occasions recording.

Florestan

One from Artur Schnabel:

Mozart is the most inaccessible of the great masters.

And a (maybe equally unpopular) comment by Leon Fleisher:

[Schabel] said [that] because with the fewest number of notes, [Mozart] accesses the deepest levels of human awareness and experience.

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

aleazk

We should send all of those big late romantic symphonies to the moon and replace them with contemporary stuff in all the concert programs  ;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Todd on June 21, 2017, 05:53:17 AM
I like the Schalk edition of Bruckner's Fifth.

My first B5 (Knapp) and I still get a kick out of it.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: amw on June 21, 2017, 09:16:31 AM
I listen to it fairly often although not as often as Dohnányi & Cleveland conducting the original flavour Fifth. And Jochum in Amsterdam but that is more of a special occasions recording.

Dohnányi, Jochum (in Amsterdam) and Knapp...a worthy trio of Bruckner Fifths

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Ken B

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 21, 2017, 03:48:23 PM
Dohnányi, Jochum (in Amsterdam) and Knapp...a worthy trio of Bruckner Fifths

Sarge

Slightly over a half-gallon.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: aleazk on June 21, 2017, 03:27:02 PM
We should send all of those big late romantic symphonies to the moon and replace them with contemporary stuff in all the concert programs  ;D

That is not popular with me! :P

I would say have both! And I think we should include more chamber, chamber orchestra and electroacoustic works in these orchestral concerts. Orchestras are made up of musicians who can pretty much play anything, so they should be made to play in many different contexts I reckon.

Uhor

Late Romanticism is as "bad" as Early Romanticism for almost opposite reasons or, in some quarters, the same reason: not being Wagner.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Uhor on June 21, 2017, 10:37:58 PM
Late Romanticism is as "bad" as Early Romanticism for almost opposite reasons or, in some quarters, the same reason: not being Wagner.

I agree with this completely. Late Romanticism is good though, you got Schreker and R. Strauss and Elgar and Schoenberg and Mahler, all of whose late Romantic works I think are remarkable. Early Romanticism has none of that but there are still some great pieces by Schumann, Mendelssohn, Schubert, Weber etc............everything, I guess, is a product of its time. Wagner being the height of Romanticism, naturally. :D

71 dB

Quote from: Uhor on June 21, 2017, 10:37:58 PM

Is Wagner all Mid Romanticism has to offer?
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on June 22, 2017, 02:29:24 AM
Wagner is overrated.

Another opinion which may be more popular than you think  8)

Many True Wagnerites will deny this in their blind zealotry, but it is possible to find merit in [some of] Wagner's work without feeling that he is The Supremousest Genius of Western Music.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA