Unpopular Opinions

Started by The Six, November 11, 2011, 10:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

I am not sure I have ever heard a concerto recording with Ma, but I am not much into cello concerti.
I have a bunch of chamber music recordings with Ma participating that I'd regard top 3 with the caveat that I have not heard more than 3 recordings of the Chopin pieces. Namely, Chopin's Trio and Cello sonata with Ax and Frank, Schubert's G major quartet led by Kremer and, probably the most impressive of them, Mozart's Trio divertimento, also with Kremer and Kashkashian.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Madiel

If there are 12 'London' symphonies from 2 different trips to London, there ought to be 9 'Paris' symphonies from 2 different commissions.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Jo498

Probably the Oxford university played some dirty tricks here to keep their symphony...

If mozart's #36 is called "Linz" and 38 "Prague" and a bunch of early ones "Salzburg", 39-41 should be called "Vienna".
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Madiel

Quote from: Jo498 on December 14, 2020, 12:58:50 AM
Probably the Oxford university played some dirty tricks here to keep their symphony...

Or it's just that, as is still usual, English-speakers think it's all about them.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

MusicTurner

Time for a democratization in such titling matters, for sure.

There's a 'Liverpool Oratorio', but no Croydon, s'-Hertogenbosch, or Nyiregyhaza stuff ..

Jo498

Years ago someone suggested in another forum to call Haydn's 88-92 "La Manche" or "The Channel" because they are between Paris and London, but I'd be also in favor of "Paris II"
- Blaise Pascal

Brian

Quote from: Jo498 on December 14, 2020, 08:19:49 AM
Years ago someone suggested in another forum to call Haydn's 88-92 "La Manche" or "The Channel" because they are between Paris and London, but I'd be also in favor of "Paris II"
88 is a good example of a Haydn symphony that needs a nickname because it would be much more popular if it had one. Haydn symphonies are unfair in that way.

Jo498

88 is probably the most popular Haydn symphony without a nickname (102 another, but of course this is a "London" symphony even while lacking an individual nickname). It was already quite well known in the early 20th century.
- Blaise Pascal

Madiel

Quote from: Jo498 on December 14, 2020, 08:19:49 AM

88 and 89 weren't written for Paris. "Paris II" is appropriate for 90-92.

Jo498

They might not have been written explicitly for Paris but there is a Paris connection for 88+89 as well. Supposedly Tost travelled to Paris in 1788 with these symphonies and the quartets op.54/55 to sell them to the Paris editor Siebert. It's not exactly clear to me from (German) wikipedia what Tost did, he might have ripped off Haydn or the editor or both and might have sold the symphonies to Artaria in Wien as well where they appeared first.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/88._Sinfonie_(Haydn)
- Blaise Pascal

Madiel

Ah yes, I did know the Tost connection but had forgotten where he wandered off to.

Carxofes fregides

Chopin's Ballade No. 1 should absolutely be called the Stockhausen Ballade.

Brahmsian

The 2nd movement of Schumann's "Rhenish" symphony sounds like it was written for a John Wayne western movie. I could never stomach that particular movement, even though I do love that symphony overall.

ritter

René Leibowitz kinda had a point concering Sibelius... >:D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: OrchestralNut on December 21, 2020, 06:04:26 AM
The 2nd movement of Schumann's "Rhenish" symphony sounds like it was written for a John Wayne western movie. I could never stomach that particular movement, even though I do love that symphony overall.

I live a kilometer from the Rhine and every time I walk the shoreline or cross the bridge over the river, Schumann's theme pops into my head. I love it. I never associated the theme with a Hollywood western though. But now that you mention it, it actually does sound a bit like one. That's not a negative connotation to me  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: ritter on December 21, 2020, 07:27:15 AM

RITTER
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Brahmsian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 21, 2020, 08:16:56 AM
I live a kilometer from the Rhine and every time I walk the shoreline or cross the bridge over the river, Schumann's theme pops into my head. I love it. I never associated the theme with a Hollywood western though. But now that you mention it, it actually does sound a bit like one. That's not a negative connotation to me  8)

Sarge

Thank you for sparing me the machine gun.  :D

Jo498

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 21, 2020, 08:16:56 AM
The second movement is supposed to be a rural dance or so, representing Rhenish cheerfulness. If anything, I'd say that some passages in the more heroic first movement are fit for a western. But there is other classical music much closer, e.g. the last movement from Hindemith's metamorphoses (basically the cavalry coming in...) or quite a bit in the finale of Tchaikovsky's 5th, even parts of the finale of Brahms 3rd would be better candidates for me. (It's not a negative for me either.)
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on December 21, 2020, 07:27:15 AM

Well, about a century after he made his point Sibelius' music is as popular as ever with both audiences and musicians, major conductors, major orchestras and major performers playing his music in major venues or recording it for major labels, while Leibowitz's own music is an absolute non-entity in both concert repertoires and recording catalogues.  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 21, 2020, 08:21:28 AM

RITTER

Quote from: Florestan on December 21, 2020, 09:21:32 AM
Well, about a century after he made his point Sibelius' music is as popular as ever with both audiences and musicians, major conductors, major orchestras and major performers playing his music in major venues or recording it for major labels, while Leibowitz's own music is an absolute non-entity in both concert repertoires and recording catalogues.  ;D

I support this.  8)
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky