Unpopular Opinions

Started by The Six, November 11, 2011, 10:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MusicTurner

Yes, one doesn't expect a big breakthrough for Leibowitz's music among the public. I once had a CD with chamber music, but culled it, finding it bland and anonymous. The funny thing is though, that members of the younger French avant-garde generation took up Sibelius and found him an essential and inspirational 20th-century figure.

pjme

OK, ok - still, one can dislike a work by Sibelius.
The violin concerto....just ugly!  :P

Madiel

Quote from: pjme on December 21, 2020, 10:04:50 AM
OK, ok - still, one can dislike a work by Sibelius.
The violin concerto....just ugly!  :P

You don't want to start that one again. The rage induced in one member...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

pjme

Quote from: Madiel on December 21, 2020, 12:18:13 PM
You don't want to start that one again. The rage induced in one member...

I will use all my magical and heathen powers to prevent rage. And will retreat then in strict confinement and chastise myself.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: OrchestralNut on December 21, 2020, 09:13:24 AM
Thank you for sparing me the machine gun.  :D

Since you like four of the five movements, I decided to spare you this time  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Jo498 on December 21, 2020, 09:15:57 AM
The second movement is supposed to be a rural dance or so, representing Rhenish cheerfulness. If anything, I'd say that some passages in the more heroic first movement are fit for a western. But there is other classical music much closer, e.g. the last movement from Hindemith's metamorphoses (basically the cavalry coming in...) or quite a bit in the finale of Tchaikovsky's 5th, even parts of the finale of Brahms 3rd would be better candidates for me. (It's not a negative for me either.)

I'll have to listen to those works with your words in mind to see if I can hear what you're saying.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Brahmsian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 21, 2020, 03:49:37 PM
Since you like four of the five movements, I decided to spare you this time  ;D

Sarge

Thank you again. Rest assured, I think very highly of Schumann's symphonies as a whole! 🙂

Karl Henning

Nielsen's Clarinet Concerto is better than Mozart's
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Irons

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 31, 2020, 02:52:02 PM

Finzi's is better then Nielsen's. ;)
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

DaveF

But there are many more good recorded performances of the latter than the former (perhaps most clarinettists think they can play the Nielsen when they really can't).
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

MusicTurner

Quote from: DaveF on January 01, 2021, 01:33:33 AM
But there are many more good recorded performances of the latter than the former (perhaps most clarinettists think they can play the Nielsen when they really can't).

Interesting, since it's the opposite experience for me ... bland Mozarts versus lively and varied Nielsens  ;D

Of course, Nielsen, Weber 1st, Mozart and Finzi are the best ones ...

Symphonic Addict

Not unpopular to me. Actually, Nielsen's concerto is the best one ever. An imaginative and original creation.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Irons on January 01, 2021, 12:32:40 AM

Now, this is unpopular.  :D

Finzi's would come second or third in my list, though.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Jo498

I could agree that the Nielsen concerto has a considerably higher within Nielsen's oeuvre than Mozart's. Very few people would claim that the clarinet concerto is Mozart's best concerto (I'd say it is his best concerto for only one instrument that is not the piano ;)) whereas it justifiedly seems the favorite among Nielsen's concertos.

My favorite 20th century clarinet concerto is the Ebony concerto, I think...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Irons

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 02, 2021, 11:34:59 AM
Now, this is unpopular.  :D

Finzi's would come second or third in my list, though.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

71 dB

Quote from: Irons on January 01, 2021, 12:32:40 AM

Why rank them at all when you can just love them all?  0:) The best clarinet concerto doesn't exist, because Elgar didn't write one!  ;D
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

The new erato

Quote from: MusicTurner on December 14, 2020, 01:59:38 AM
Time for a democratization in such titling matters, for sure.

There's a 'Liverpool Oratorio', but no Croydon, s'-Hertogenbosch, or Nyiregyhaza stuff ..

There's a Lofoten Oratorio:

pjme

And Detlev Glanert's Requiem was composed for 's Hertogenbosch most famous historical citizen, Hieronymus Bosch.

And there's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ervin_Nyiregyh%C3%A1zi

DaveF

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 02, 2021, 10:09:40 AM
Interesting, since it's the opposite experience for me ... bland Mozarts versus lively and varied Nielsens  ;D

I have a very intense and long-lasting relationship with the Nielsen concerto - my life partner, you might call it.  When I got my first clarinet, at the age of 15, I bought at the same time the piano edition of the concerto.  I remember the assistant in Taphouse's in Oxford, who obviously knew his stuff, commenting "That's certainly something to aspire to, sir."  Since then I've failed to master the solo part, and was recently within a few weeks of playing the snare-drum part in a concert, before the orchestra (not the soloist) got cold feet.  I have also typeset the whole score in Sibelius, out of sheer fascination with it.  I'm not suggesting for a minute that this gives my opinions of the piece any special status, but it does make me awfully hard to please with regard to performances.  I think I have finally settled on my 2 favourites, so what I plan to do... sometime this year... is a Hurwitz-style review on this very forum (no video, don't panic, Hurwitz is George Clooney compared to me, I promise you) along the lines of BBC Radio 3's Building a Library, comparing the available versions.  I've just got a fair number left to listen to, after which pen will start hitting paper, or fingers keyboard.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

The new erato

Quote from: pjme on January 03, 2021, 03:54:12 AM
And Detlev Glanert's Requiem was composed for 's Hertogenbosch most famous historical citizen, Hieronymus Bosch.

Before he emigrated to the US and became a hotshot detective?