Unpopular Opinions

Started by The Six, November 11, 2011, 10:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

I love Philip Glass's constantly repeating arpeggios music....

Brahmsian

Quote from: James on November 12, 2011, 10:17:17 AM
Giggling is something little girls do. Just letting you know.

Jowcol - add to next bingo card!!   ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on November 15, 2011, 08:29:24 AM
:o

All of them.... (apart from MTT)... gosh... I really would love to meet your dad! ;) Which is his favourite cycle? And which is his favourite Mahler symphony? He should join GMG!  ;D

Yep, all of them. :) My Dad is a cool person and has always had a passion for music. His favorite Mahler cycle? It's Bernstein's first cycle with the NY Philharmonic. My Dad's favorite Mahler symphony is the 5th.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 15, 2011, 08:56:54 AM
Yep, all of them. :) My Dad is a cool person and has always had a passion for music. His favorite Mahler cycle? It's Bernstein's first cycle with the NY Philharmonic. My Dad's favorite Mahler symphony is the 5th.

5th is probably my least liked symphony, but contains one of my favorite Mahler movements, the third mvt. Scherzo, I do truly love it, being a former horn player I used to search for all the great horn solos and this was one I used to always want to play.

Otherwise I skip the 2nd and 5th mvts.

Brahmsian

Outside of Vivaldi, I find Baroque orchestral music boring as dishwater.  I love Bach's instrumental works though, for cello, violin and piano.  Everything Handel bores me, and I'll never listen to Handel's Messiah, EVER again.

I have a love/hate relationship with Stravinsky.  His early and middle stuff is amazing, but his late works (not all though) bore me to tears.  I can't stand Les Noces.

I don't like English Opera, or any works sung in English language.  I think this is a rebellious/aversion phase from my pop/rock music listening days, and I hope this 'bigotness' of mine regarding this will go away someday.  :(

Schumann is underrated, and Schubert is nearly as underrated (sorry David)! ;)

Sergei Taneyev is the most underrated composer in Classical Music - period.

Brahmsian

I now prefer Mozart's Symphony No. 39 over his 40th and 41st symphonies.  :o

My favourite Mozart string quartet is the No. 20 Hoffmeister quartet, K. 499  :D

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 15, 2011, 09:07:53 AM

I don't like English Opera, or any works sung in English language.  I think this is a rebellious/aversion phase from my pop/rock music listening days, and I hope this 'bigotness' of mine regarding this will go away someday.  :(

This used to be an issue I had also, but Britten changed that for me.

Brahmsian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 15, 2011, 09:13:16 AM

This used to be an issue I had also, but Britten changed that for me.

Thanks Greg, perhaps I'll give that a shot.  :)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 15, 2011, 09:14:05 AM
Thanks Greg, perhaps I'll give that a shot.  :)

You could try something like Britten's Midsummer Night's Dream, it's light and it's Shakespeare so that could help with possibly being familiar with the words.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 15, 2011, 08:56:54 AM

Get him to join GMG then! ;)
Interesting choices... surprised he didn't go for the DG Bernstein instead of Sony Bernstein... interesting! :) Which is least favourite Mahler cycle, out of interest?

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 15, 2011, 09:01:25 AM

5th is probably my least liked symphony, but contains one of my favorite Mahler movements, the third mvt. Scherzo, I do truly love it, being a former horn player I used to search for all the great horn solos and this was one I used to always want to play.

I wouldn't call the 5th my least favourite, I couldn't call any of the Mahler symphonies a least favourite! I agree with you about the Scherzo though, one of my favourite Mahler movements as well! :)

I have a love/hate relationship with Stravinsky.  His early and middle stuff is amazing, but his late works (not all though) bore me to tears.  I can't stand Les Noces.

Completely agree with you on this, Ray. Absolutely love The Firebird, The Rite of Spring, Petrushka, Symphony in Three Movements, but find many of his other works plainly a bore... sorry to those Stravinsky fans out there!

"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

chasmaniac

E e y h n a d l b e s me

Must be interference on the toobs. Did you say something?  ;D
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: madaboutmahler on November 15, 2011, 09:19:16 AM

I wouldn't call the 5th my least favourite, I couldn't call any of the Mahler symphonies a least favourite! I agree with you about the Scherzo though, one of my favourite Mahler movements as well! :)

I also really enjoy the Scherzo from No.7, again the best mvt. from that symphony...although No.7 is along side No.3 & No.9 as my favorite.

Brahmsian

Quote from: chasmaniac on November 15, 2011, 09:22:50 AM
Must be interference on the toobs. Did you say something?  ;D

:D Clever!!  ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on November 15, 2011, 09:19:16 AM
Get him to join GMG then! ;)
Interesting choices... surprised he didn't go for the DG Bernstein instead of Sony Bernstein... interesting! :) Which is least favourite Mahler cycle, out of interest?

Completely agree with you on this, Ray. Absolutely love The Firebird, The Rite of Spring, Petrushka, Symphony in Three Movements, but find many of his other works plainly a bore... sorry to those Stravinsky fans out there!

I can surely see why my Dad picked Bernstein I. It's absolutely exhilarating music-making in the highest order. Bernstein was on fire and the NY Philharmonic give it their all.

My Dad doesn't like Internet forums and prefers the older Internet way of communicating: email. 8).

His choice of the 5th doesn't come as a big surprise to me as he was, in his younger years, a trumpeter and played in the school band. The first movement of the 5th (Trauermarsch) is where I think my Dad found a kinship with Mahler --- that wonderful trumpet solo. I think the 5th is a fine symphony too, but it's not my favorite Mahler symphony, but I can understand why my Dad loves it so much. My favorite Mahler symphony is the 7th. There's nothing else like in all of his music.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 15, 2011, 09:29:20 AM
I can surely see why my Dad picked Bernstein I. It's absolutely exhilarating music-making in the highest order. Bernstein was on fire and the NY Philharmonic give it their all.

My Dad doesn't like Internet forums and prefers the older Internet way of communicating: email. 8).

His choice of the 5th doesn't come as a big surprise to me as he was, in his younger years, a trumpeter and played in the school band. The first movement of the 5th (Trauermarsch) is where I think my Dad found a kinship with Mahler --- that wonderful trumpet solo. I think the 5th is a fine symphony too, but it's not my favorite Mahler symphony, but I can understand why my Dad loves it so much. My favorite Mahler symphony is the 7th. There's nothing else like in all of his music.

Hi John,

I'm curious - how does your father view the Tennstedt/LPO Mahler recordings?  And what is his favourite recording of Mahler's 6th (for the Andante moderato movement)?

Thanks!  :)

Ray

Karl Henning

I'm a great Stravinsky fan, and Ray and I are still mates : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

Since we are on Stravinsky...

His Neoclassical period produced his greatest music. <----(this is an unpopular opinion and cannot be supported with facts.)

Mirror Image

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 15, 2011, 09:32:53 AM
Hi John,

I'm curious - how does your father view the Tennstedt/LPO Mahler recordings?  And what is his favourite recording of Mahler's 6th (for the Andante moderato movement)?

Thanks!  :)

Ray

Ray, I remember my Dad having a very favorable response to Tennstedt's Mahler recordings. I'm not sure how much he listens to them, but know he does like them. His favorite Mahler 6th recording? Probably Bernstein I. This is his favorite cycle, so I assume he likes everything about it.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 15, 2011, 09:42:45 AM
Ray, I remember my Dad having a very favorable response to Tennstedt's Mahler recordings. I'm not sure how much he listens to them, but know he does like them. His favorite Mahler 6th recording? Probably Bernstein I. This is his favorite cycle, so I assume he likes everything about it.

Thanks, John!  :)  Gee, I wish you Dad would sign up here.  Perhaps he could help put the 'Mahler Mania thread' over top of 'Havergal Brian thread'!  :D

madaboutmahler

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 15, 2011, 09:23:43 AM

I also really enjoy the Scherzo from No.7, again the best mvt. from that symphony...although No.7 is along side No.3 & No.9 as my favorite.

The scherzo from no.7 is certainly amazing. Although my favourite movement from that symphony would be m1. :) Love the symphony as a whole really! My absolute favourite Mahler symphonies would be no.6 and 9 definitely. After that it is difficult to choose between them!

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 15, 2011, 09:29:20 AM

Certainly! Great performances, although I personally think the DG recordings are better, more excitment, passion, power, beauty. Plus the Vienna Philharmonic are absolutely amazing!
Ah, I see ;)

I see what you mean about no.7, nothing else like it! To be accurate, each Mahler symphony is different than the other! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven