Unpopular Opinions

Started by The Six, November 11, 2011, 10:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on December 05, 2011, 07:46:47 AM
Easily the best post in the spirit of this thread...

(* chortlissimo *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on December 05, 2011, 07:55:14 AM

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 05, 2011, 07:53:23 AM
Life is unthinkable without Mahler. There. I'm finally on topic  :D

Sarge

:D :D :D

Excellent, Sarge! You rock as usual, my hat off to you!

You gents are entirely apt to make me smile!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Florestan on December 05, 2011, 07:23:54 AM
Having heard last Friday live Brahms' First Symphony I was only confirmed in my long held opinion: apart from the Scherzo (only, without the Trio) and that melody in the finale, it is a formless and completely forgettable aborted foetus.  ;D

While I don't agree with this assessment, I do think that the 1st Sym. is not as great as the 3 others. There is a sense of strain, of deliberate grandeur and monumentality, that drags it down a little. Thankfully Brahms got over his Beethoven complex after this one.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

jowcol

Quote from: karlhenning on December 05, 2011, 07:03:25 AM

Thread Duty: The Second is the best of the Prokofev symphonies

That's not an unpopular opinion with me-- I'm torn between the second and the third. 
"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on December 05, 2011, 07:23:54 AMa formless and completely forgettable aborted foetus.  ;D

(I would take that as a reasonable assessment of the said composer as well.  8) )
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Geo Dude

Quote from: Christo on December 05, 2011, 10:23:46 AM
(I would take that as a reasonable assessment of the said composer as well.  8) )

:o

Well, this is certainly the sort of thing this thread is for, I'll give you that!

Florestan

Quote from: Geo Dude on December 05, 2011, 10:39:31 AM
Well, this is certainly the sort of thing this thread is for, I'll give you that!

I wouldn't have thought it possible, but Christo beats Mirror Image by a wide margin.  :D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

But this is the very merriest of Mondays!

(* chortle yet again *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

mszczuj

Quote from: karlhenning on December 05, 2011, 07:03:25 AM
The Second is the best of the Prokofev symphonies

This is not very strange as it is the best symphony written after Beethoven. What a pity it was the last good symphony of Prokofiev.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: mszczuj on December 07, 2011, 10:16:44 AM
This is not very strange as it is the best symphony written after Beethoven. What a pity it was the last good symphony of Prokofiev.

You seem to be forgetting Mahler.
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

madaboutmahler

What a piece of nonsense that statement was....  >:(
How you could easily dismiss all the symphonic masterpieces between Beethoven and Prokofiev? Ridiculous.
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lethevich

Dvorak's 2nd symphony is better than Prokofiev's.

*hides*
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Karl Henning

Quote from: madaboutmahler on December 07, 2011, 10:45:54 AM
What a piece of nonsense that statement was....  >:(
How you could easily dismiss all the symphonic masterpieces between Beethoven and Prokofiev? Ridiculous.

There, you see: It's a question of perspective.  For mszczuj, this is a matter of recognizing the greatness of the Prokofiev Second.  Let me guess: You do not even know the piece, yet you wish us to take seriously your opinion that it is ridiculous to consider the Prokofiev Second the "greatest symphony after Beethoven," ahead of Mahler's nine.

In any event, dude: get the thread title.  It's an opinion, and it may not be a popular opinion.  Got it?
: )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

madaboutmahler

Quote from: karlhenning on December 07, 2011, 10:59:29 AM
There, you see: It's a question of perspective.  For mszczuj, this is a matter of recognizing the greatness of the Prokofiev Second.  Let me guess: You do not even know the piece, yet you wish us to take seriously your opinion that it is ridiculous to consider the Prokofiev Second the "greatest symphony after Beethoven," ahead of Mahler's nine.

In any event, dude: get the thread title.  It's an opinion, and it may not be a popular opinion.  Got it?
: )

Yes, I understand fully, Karl. And yes, I do know the 2nd symphony of Prokofiev, and I find it a great piece. Just cannot believe that mszczuj would dismiss everything between Beethoven and Prokofiev 2. Surely Brahms, Bruckner, Mahler (etc) should be mentioned. But fine - that's just my opinion that obviously not everyone shares.
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Bulldog

Quote from: madaboutmahler on December 07, 2011, 11:51:16 AM
Yes, I understand fully, Karl. And yes, I do know the 2nd symphony of Prokofiev, and I find it a great piece. Just cannot believe that mszczuj would dismiss everything between Beethoven and Prokofiev 2.

With your particular set of biases, you seem to have misunderstood the words of mszczuj.  All he said was that the Prokofiev 2nd was the best symphony after Beethoven; that was no dismissal of any other symphonies.  It's about time you hit yourself on the head with hammer. 8) 

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Bulldog on December 07, 2011, 12:10:21 PM
With your particular set of biases, you seem to have misunderstood the words of mszczuj.  All he said was that the Prokofiev 2nd was the best symphony after Beethoven; that was no dismissal of any other symphonies.  It's about time you hit yourself on the head with hammer. 8)

Perhaps. Well, it still certainly is what can be classed as an 'unpopular opinion' of the highest order!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

TheGSMoeller

Brahms 4th would be the greatest symphony from the Romantic era if it didn't contain the all too sunny third movement.

Opus106

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on December 07, 2011, 07:35:27 PM
Brahms 4th would be the greatest symphony from the Romantic era if it didn't contain the all too sunny third movement.

Hmm... I actually think it needs more triangles.
Regards,
Navneeth