Unpopular Opinions

Started by The Six, November 11, 2011, 10:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opus106

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 12, 2012, 09:17:16 AM
Here's some unpopular opinions: Mozart wasn't a genius, Bach is a bore, Beethoven is overrated, need I go on or have I done enough damage? :D

No to both. All that is just old hat. :P
Regards,
Navneeth

Mirror Image

Rinaldo

Here's some unpopular opinions: Mozart wasn't a genius, Bach is a bore, Beethoven is overrated, need I go on or have I done enough damage? :D

There were times when I would agree with the last two statements but my position has been constantly eroding since then (mostly due to the St Matthew Passion / Goldbergs and Beethoven's piano sonatas & SQ's). I'd still say that most of the time, Bach lacks soul, but I'd have to be drunk and not in the company of people who understand music better than me - e.g. GMG :)

Lisztianwagner

Quite right! ;)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Mirror Image

Quote from: Rinaldo on September 12, 2012, 12:07:16 PM
There were times when I would agree with the last two statements but my position has been constantly eroding since then (mostly due to the St Matthew Passion / Goldbergs and Beethoven's piano sonatas & SQ's). I'd still say that most of the time, Bach lacks soul, but I'd have to be drunk and not in the company of people who understand music better than me - e.g. GMG :)

Before getting into classical, people online would keep telling me what composers I need to listen to. Most of them said either Mozart, Beethoven, or Bach. What these people don't understand and probably still don't is that I believe people need to create their path with music. I mean sure we can take a suggestion or a recommendation for a recording, but, ultimately, we are the only ones that can decide what we want out of this music. Mozart, Bach, and Beethoven aren't composers I flock to nor have I ever even considered them apart of my musical vocabulary. Perhaps some of this comes from the fact that I didn't study music and thus I never had to learn a Bach or Beethoven piece on the piano. No, I come to music from a completely different side. I came to classical from a rock and jazz background with no training in the alleged 'classics'. When I chose to explore Bartok, Ravel, or Bruckner, people who knew I was new to classical would say that I need to be listening to better, more influential composers. After awhile, I considered these suggestions nothing more than a form of bullying. Nobody can force you to listen to anything. I think these "suggestions" did more harm than good. Now, I'm glad I did what the hell I wanted to and didn't listen to the naysayers who said I was making a mistake by purposely bypassing the Baroque and Classical Eras. I bypassed these periods of music because they didn't interest me. I like dissonance that is in your face. I like harmonic ambiguity. I like music that pounds away at your heartstrings and never lets up and music that starts off witty but suddenly becomes vulgar. This is the music of my soul. It is real, it is honest.

Rinaldo

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 12, 2012, 12:36:25 PM
Before getting into classical, people online would keep telling me what composers I need to listen to. Most of them said either Mozart, Beethoven, or Bach. What these people don't understand and probably still don't is that I believe people need to create their path with music.

AMEN TO THAT!

ruramikael

If I had not discovered Liszt, Peterson-Berger, Rangström and Stenhammar in the mid-80s, I would probably have been less interested in classical music today. Beethoven is still number one to me, but Mozart and Brahms are not so concsistent (according to my taste).
I also feel the need to hear music live (same with rock music), and my favourite composers (except Beethoven....) are performed very infrequently (at least in Sweden :().

/Mikael

mahler10th

Quote from: ruramikael on September 12, 2012, 01:26:15 PM
If I had not discovered Liszt, Peterson-Berger, Rangström and Stenhammar in the mid-80s, I would probably have been less interested in classical music today. Beethoven is still number one to me, but Mozart and Brahms are not so concsistent (according to my taste).
I also feel the need to hear music live (same with rock music), and my favourite composers (except Beethoven....) are performed very infrequently (at least in Sweden :().

/Mikael

Yes yes!  Another Swedish music lover!  Atterberg and Rangstrom in particular rock my boat in an alarming way.  Welcome Mikael!!  Your opinion is not at all unpopular!!

Madiel

No no, you've told me quite enough about yourself already.

*Puts on 'Tempest' Piano Sonata*
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Quote from: orfeo on September 12, 2012, 02:04:45 PM
No no, you've told me quite enough about yourself already.

*Puts on 'Tempest' Piano Sonata*

^
^
Said the guy who can't make up his mind which box set to buy. ::) At least I know what I like and what I don't like.

eyeresist

You don't have to be a genius all of the time. You just have to be a genius at the right time:

[asin]B0013NFPO4[/asin]

So much less of a bore than Bartok.

DavidW

MI, by coming from a view point of anger you're shutting yourself out from the better picture.  What would Beethoven or Bach care about the people who suggested they listen to their music?  What do those people even care if you follow their advise or not?  Answer: not a whit.  And who do you really hurt?  Yourself.  Being upset abut being recommended music is the silliest sob story that I've ever heard.  Defining your interests based on what you like is cool, getting bent out of shape because you don't like what the majority likes is not.  Just listening to CM means that you like music that the majority does not like.  If you truly accept your tastes, then you will not want validation from others, which in turns means that you will not be upset when it is not granted.

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on September 12, 2012, 06:00:44 PM
MI, by coming from a view point of anger you're shutting yourself out from the better picture.  What would Beethoven or Bach care about the people who suggested they listen to their music?  What do those people even care if you follow their advise or not?  Answer: not a whit.  And who do you really hurt?  Yourself.  Being upset abut being recommended music is the silliest sob story that I've ever heard.  Defining your interests based on what you like is cool, getting bent out of shape because you don't like what the majority likes is not.  Just listening to CM means that you like music that the majority does not like.  If you truly accept your tastes, then you will not want validation from others, which in turns means that you will not be upset when it is not granted.

Post of the day.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on September 12, 2012, 06:00:44 PM

I don't need validation from others. I also never needed a recommendation from a classical snob who thinks they know music better than I do. The problem I encountered where people telling me what I need to listen to. My whole argument is exactly your point, Dave. I also am not coming from a viewpoint of anger. I'm coming from the viewpoint of somebody who gets damn tired of people thumbing their noses at me because I don't listen to what they think I should be listening to.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 12, 2012, 06:09:46 PM
....I also am not coming from a viewpoint of anger. I'm coming from the viewpoint of somebody who gets damn tired of people thumbing their noses at me because I don't listen to what they think I should be listening to.

It was easy to tell that there was no anger there, you didn't need to belabor it. ::)  Anyway, who really gives a damn what you listen to? You like what you like, I like what I like, DavidW likes what he likes. Where's the problem? It's kinda like you have a teeny tiny chip on your shoulder... :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Madiel

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 12, 2012, 10:00:49 PM
What about 2012 purchases? What is on your list right now?

34 CDs of Dvorak, Poulenc, Janacek, Liszt, Delibes and Bridge.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Superhorn

Please excuse the alliteration , but  Chopin wrote music of pallid prettiness, perfumed preciosity and swooning salonish sentimentality .

mahler10th

Quote from: Superhorn on September 13, 2012, 07:15:30 AM
   ....Chopin wrote music of pallid prettiness, perfumed preciosity and swooning salonish sentimentality .

Say that rapidly and accurately six times and I will believe you.   :P  Mind you, I can easily say that myself six times quickly.  er...
that that that that that that

Karl Henning

Quote from: Superhorn on September 13, 2012, 07:15:30 AM
   Please excuse the alliteration , but  Chopin wrote music of pallid prettiness, perfumed preciosity and swooning salonish sentimentality .

That is not an unpopular opinion. It is the opinion of a philistine ; )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Unpopular opinion is something like I just plain like atonal music.  Stating that you have no appreciation for Bach, Mozart, Beethoven or Chopin isn't an opinion: it's lack of taste ; )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA