Unpopular Opinions

Started by The Six, November 11, 2011, 10:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on September 13, 2012, 07:41:05 AM
Unpopular opinion is something like I just plain like atonal music.  Stating that you have no appreciation for Bach, Mozart, Beethoven or Chopin isn't an opinion: it's lack of taste ; )

:P

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Superhorn on September 13, 2012, 07:15:30 AM
   Please excuse the alliteration , but  Chopin wrote music of pallid prettiness, perfumed preciosity and swooning salonish sentimentality .

This is precisely the kind of smug, self-satisfied, superficial nonsense that makes someone like myself unwilling to contribute any further to a forum like this. It is blatantly inaccurate and betrays a virtually complete lack of basic knowledge of Chopin's music, to which such epithets as the above apply to only a small percentage of his weaker early work. And if the writer makes any attempt at further alliteration, I will be more than happy to thunder the B minor scherzo, the D minor prelude, and both C minor etudes in his ears seriatim until he repents, recants, and otherwise refuses to restate such ridiculous rodomontade.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Karl Henning

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on September 13, 2012, 09:05:10 AM
This is precisely the kind of smug, self-satisfied, superficial nonsense that makes someone like myself unwilling to contribute any further to a forum like this. It is blatantly inaccurate and betrays a virtually complete lack of basic knowledge of Chopin's music, to which such epithets as the above apply to only a small percentage of his weaker early work. And if the writer makes any attempt at further alliteration, I will be more than happy to thunder the B minor scherzo, the D minor prelude, and both C minor etudes in his ears seriatim until he repents, recants, and otherwise refuses to restate such ridiculous rodomontade.

Thunder on, poco Sfz!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

bhodges

(Filing away reminder to use "rodomontade" as soon as possible.)

--Bruce

Superhorn

Maybe I'm a philistine, but you should remember that the Biblical philistines were actually a very cultured and artistic people !

CaughtintheGaze

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on September 13, 2012, 09:05:10 AM

I can't tell if either of you are actually serious.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Superhorn on September 13, 2012, 10:04:03 AM
   Maybe I'm a philistine, but you should remember that the Biblical philistines were actually a very cultured and artistic people !

Yes, the Cretans, too.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 12, 2012, 06:09:46 PM
I don't need validation from others. I also never needed a recommendation from a classical snob who thinks they know music better than I do. The problem I encountered where people telling me what I need to listen to. My whole argument is exactly your point, Dave. I also am not coming from a viewpoint of anger. I'm coming from the viewpoint of somebody who gets damn tired of people thumbing their noses at me because I don't listen to what they think I should be listening to.
There's a world of differnece between "don't listen to" (which of course is your right and I won't even bat an eyelid by your choices) and "Bach is a bore" - which he isn't - and people will argue you forever because it's just plain wrong.

Why this eagerness to brand music one doen't find interesting on a personal level as boring, overrated or whatever? To me it seems like validation when we need to brand music we don't enjoy as "bad" and music we enjoy as "good".

The new erato

Quote from: Superhorn on September 13, 2012, 07:15:30 AM
   Please excuse the alliteration , but  Chopin wrote music of pallid prettiness, perfumed preciosity and swooning salonish sentimentality .
Pardon my English, but I don't find pretty, precious or sentimental even slightly derogative.

Gurn Blanston

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

ruramikael

I don't need validation from others. I also never needed a recommendation from a classical snob who thinks they know music better than I do. The problem I encountered where people telling me what I need to listen to. My whole argument is exactly your point, Dave. I also am not coming from a viewpoint of anger. I'm coming from the viewpoint of somebody who gets damn tired of people thumbing their noses at me because I don't listen to what they think I should be listening to.
Right know I am listening to Paderewski Piano Concerto op. 17, which is much better than I expected. I still feel a need to inform people that a particular composer is often much better than his reputation. Perform something different, it is not necessary to play Symphonie Fantastique every season..........(and I like Berlioz!)./Mikael

Sammy

I had the notion that this was a thread where someone could offer an unpopular opinion without getting blasted.  Guess I was wrong about that.  At any rate, if blasting is okay, MI is the man to be on the receiving end.  He just loves to dump on the most popular composers; must make him feel special.

Karl Henning

"A lot of people like Bach. A solid consensus of professional musicians hold Bach in high esteem, even in admiration. He can't be any good. Give me some Milhaud."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Superhorn

Maybe I was being a little hard with poor old freddie C, but I was just trying to push the envelope .  I've never even been to Crete,
so you can't call me a Cretan .
People have said far worse things about composers I love dearly , such as Wagner, Bruckner, Mahler, and Richard Strauss.
But I don't call people who dislike their music  philistines . 

Karl Henning

Quote from: Superhorn on September 13, 2012, 01:12:17 PM
But I don't call people who dislike their music  philistines.

People who simply and honestly say "I don't like Chopin's music" are not philistines. Saying the sort of ignorant rubbish which you offered as a "critique," is philistinism.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DavidW

I have another unpopular opinion!

Schumann is a fine symphonist. 0:)

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on September 13, 2012, 01:32:54 PM
I have another unpopular opinion!

Clara? Are you nuts? ; )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

madaboutmahler

Quote from: DavidW on September 13, 2012, 01:32:54 PM

Certainly, Dave!!!! I love his symphonies! His 4th is a piece I listen to every Saturday while travelling back home from the academy! :) I love the other 3 very very much too. :)  0:)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

ruramikael

How about poor orchestration? I  think that Brahms texture is too heavy. Normally Schumann's orchestration is considered as poor, but to me Brahms may be even worse (This is a very unpopular opinion by experience...). :-X

Mikael