Unpopular Opinions

Started by The Six, November 11, 2011, 10:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyeresist

Quote from: The new erato on September 13, 2012, 10:26:35 AMWhy this eagerness to brand music one doen't find interesting on a personal level as boring, overrated or whatever? To me it seems like validation when we need to brand music we don't enjoy as "bad" and music we enjoy as "good".

As I posited elsewhere (to zero reaction), I think the moral and aesthetic senses are actually one and the same.

Quote from: Superhorn on September 13, 2012, 10:04:03 AMMaybe I'm a philistine, but you should remember that the Biblical philistines were actually a very cultured and artistic people !

Political correctness gone mad!

;)

PaulR

Quote from: karlhenning on September 13, 2012, 12:43:24 PM
"A lot of people like Bach. A solid consensus of professional musicians hold Bach in high esteem, even in admiration. He can't be any good. Give me some Milhaud."
(Side note:  One knows when one has read too much Adorno with that kind of statement)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sammy on September 13, 2012, 11:51:49 AM
I had the notion that this was a thread where someone could offer an unpopular opinion without getting blasted.  Guess I was wrong about that.  At any rate, if blasting is okay, MI is the man to be on the receiving end.  He just loves to dump on the most popular composers; must make him feel special.

I assumed this was the thread where I could state something that would be unpopular and get away it. I guess not! I like plenty of "popular" composers I just don't like ones that bore me to tears. Like, hmmm....I don't know, BACH!!! Bach's music is definitely a cure for insomnia.

eyeresist

Quote from: karlhenning on September 13, 2012, 01:27:25 PMPeople who simply and honestly say "I don't like Chopin's music" are not philistines. Saying the sort of ignorant rubbish which you offered as a "critique," is philistinism.

Well, he's saying why he doesn't like it, which is a reaction based on personal taste. (How could it be anything else?)

He's not insisting we dig up and burn poor old Frederick C!

I can see how someone might hear mere perfumed frippery in some of Chopin, but... well... I choose to ignore those elements of the music in favour of the brilliant, orginal writing and terrific tunes :)

liuzerus87

Quote from: ruramikael on September 13, 2012, 01:43:09 PM
How about poor orchestration? I  think that Brahms texture is too heavy. Normally Schumann's orchestration is considered as poor, but to me Brahms may be even worse (This is a very unpopular opinion by experience...). :-X

Mikael

Obligatory indignant response.

Actually, I find that this is a very common opinion. I don't agree at all with this, but I've seen similar sentiments expressed often. However, complaining about his chamber music might actually make you a "philistine".

The Six

As the original Koechlin lover on this board, I can say that Bach's Partita No. 6 is the best thing he ever wrote, and maybe the best multi-movement keyboard work, as well (not that I've heard them all).

CaughtintheGaze

Quote from: eyeresist on September 13, 2012, 06:31:40 PM
Well, he's saying why he doesn't like it, which is a reaction based on personal taste. (How could it be anything else?)

He's not insisting we dig up and burn poor old Frederick C!

I can see how someone might hear mere perfumed frippery in some of Chopin, but... well... I choose to ignore those elements of the music in favour of the brilliant, orginal writing and terrific tunes :)

He also wrote terrible symphonies.

eyeresist

CaughtintheGaze

Quote from: eyeresist on September 13, 2012, 08:34:35 PM
Nope, too obscure, sorry.

They were all silent. Conceptual, you know? And I was like, "Fred, ain't no one goin' get this. It's too high-minded and abstract. You gotta brak that groove down." That's what I said.

eyeresist

Madiel

Whereas Chopin's operas are exceptionally good.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Opus106

Uh, guys, the Unfounded Opinions thread is down the hall.
Regards,
Navneeth

bhodges

Quote from: orfeo on September 14, 2012, 04:15:48 AM
Whereas Chopin's operas are exceptionally good.

;D

Quote from: Opus106 on September 14, 2012, 04:22:12 AM

;D  ;D

--Bruce

CaughtintheGaze

Quote from: Opus106 on September 14, 2012, 04:22:12 AM

It's called multiverse. Duh.

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

Karl Henning

Pettersson sucks lemur gonads.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

springrite

Quote from: karlhenning on September 14, 2012, 06:36:46 AM
Pettersson sucks lemur gonads.

Composer who doubles as gonad expert. I wouldn't be able to tell the differences between a lemur gonad and a baboon testicle.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Karl Henning

Nor I. It's in his diaries.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

CaughtintheGaze

Quote from: Opus106 on September 14, 2012, 06:30:51 AM
As I said, down the hall.

Ai! That's not unfounded! It was demonstrated for all to see on Family Guy or are you Brian Giffin?

Opus106

Quote from: CaughtintheGaze on September 14, 2012, 07:29:14 AM
Ai! That's not unfounded! It was demonstrated for all to see on Family Guy or are you Brian Giffin?

I might be, in another part of the multiverse... if only that were true.
Regards,
Navneeth