Started by The Six, November 11, 2011, 10:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Superhorn

I've heard some of Francaix's music, and it's pleasant but  insignificant.  One piece, the Orloge des Flore, or the Flower Clock, for oboe and orchestra, isn't bad

Mirror Image

Quote from: Superhorn on November 20, 2012, 06:42:19 AM
   I've heard some of Francaix's music, and it's pleasant but  insignificant.  One piece, the Orloge des Flore, or the Flower Clock, for oboe and orchestra, isn't bad

Yeah, I'm not crazy about Francaix's music either. There's nothing for me to grab ahold of in his music.  I need more tension and a bit more dissonance.

Madiel

Quote from: karlhenning on November 19, 2012, 07:57:53 AM
As san anton' suggests . . . there is not, I don't suppose, a consensus w/r/t Poulenc in either direction.

Having just got into exploring Poulenc more, I was interested to discover that not even Poulenc had a consensus about Poulenc. He repudiated much of his earlier work in fairly strong  terms.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brian

John (MI) asked about this on Facebook, so: yes, I sincerely love "Gangnam Style." The song itself is fairly catchy and of modest interest, but the video is a total delight. It's a sort of unabashed celebration that makes me extremely happy.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on December 27, 2012, 05:28:39 PM
John (MI) asked about this on Facebook, so: yes, I sincerely love "Gangnam Style." The song itself is fairly catchy and of modest interest, but the video is a total delight. It's a sort of unabashed celebration that makes me extremely happy.

Oh dear lord...

CaughtintheGaze

This is my favorite version:
http://www.youtube.com/v/0bpirJm9aMk

RJR

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on September 12, 2012, 06:44:50 PM
It was easy to tell that there was no anger there, you didn't need to belabor it. ::)  Anyway, who really gives a damn what you listen to? You like what you like, I like what I like, DavidW likes what he likes. Where's the problem? It's kinda like you have a teeny tiny chip on your shoulder... :)

8)

A Laura Scudders potato chip perhaps?

The Six

I always get mixed up between what is a parallel key and what is a relative key. The main reason is, to me, they could interchangeably describe either key. A Minor and A Major are parallel because they start on the same note, so in playing one scale I'm moving parallel to the other, despite the few different intervals . And obviously the reasoning that they are relative works, as well.

eumyang

I think I have two:

(1) For whatever reason, vocal music & opera do not hold my interest as much as instrumental music.  I would say over 98% of my classical CD's are of instrumental music. :o  I just checked my collection and I have a grand total of four (!!!!) vocal CDs or CD sets (Beethoven's Missa Solemnis, Brahms' Liebeslieder Waltzes, Mozart's Die Zauberflöte and Mozart's Requiem).  And the next few CDs I plan to buy are instrumental.

(2) I rarely buy more than one recording of the same work or collection of works.  This is due to my upbringing; our family wasn't exactly rich, and buying more than one LP of the same music was considered a waste of money.  I still remember my dad being mad at me when I asked for money to buy a second recording of Beethoven's symphonies.  The only multiple recordings I have right now are of Beethoven's piano sonatas (Brendel on Vox and Goode) and Bach's Art of Fugue (although I'm not sure if this counts, because they are of different instrumental forces: one is for string quartet, and the other is for piano solo).

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: eumyang on August 13, 2013, 06:33:02 AM
......Bach's Art of Fugue (although I'm not sure if this counts, because they are of different instrumental forces: one is for string quartet, and the other is for piano solo).

Clearly the solo piano version was a waste of money... :P

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

North Star

I think I have two:

(1) For whatever reason, vocal music & opera do not hold my interest as much as instrumental music.  I would say over 98% of my classical CD's are of instrumental music. :o  I just checked my collection and I have a grand total of four (!!!!) vocal CDs or CD sets (Beethoven's Missa Solemnis, Brahms' Liebeslieder Waltzes, Mozart's Die Zauberflöte and Mozart's Requiem).  And the next few CDs I plan to buy are instrumental.

(2) I rarely buy more than one recording of the same work or collection of works.  This is due to my upbringing; our family wasn't exactly rich, and buying more than one LP of the same music was considered a waste of money.  I still remember my dad being mad at me when I asked for money to buy a second recording of Beethoven's symphonies.  The only multiple recordings I have right now are of Beethoven's piano sonatas (Brendel on Vox and Goode) and Bach's Art of Fugue (although I'm not sure if this counts, because they are of different instrumental forces: one is for string quartet, and the other is for piano solo).
Neither is really that unpopular an opinion. On this forum, there are plenty of folks with recordings of each of the Mahler/Bruckner/Beethoven/Brahms symphonies well into double digits, but there are also people who aren't that interested in having a huge number of recordings of a work (like me). And the vocal/opera part of the forum isn't exactly hyperactive, is it?
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

. . . and Bach's Art of Fugue (although I'm not sure if this counts, because they are of different instrumental forces: one is for string quartet, and the other is for piano solo).

I wonder what instrumental forces Bach specified (hint, hint) . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on August 13, 2013, 06:46:04 AM
I wonder what instrumental forces Bach specified (hint, hint) . . . .
The saxophone quartet is surely closest to being authentic.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

jut1972

+1.
2nd best pop song of last 20 years. .. hit me baby one more time is  #1 by the way.

>:D

Sammy

The only multiple recordings I have right now are of Beethoven's piano sonatas (Brendel on Vox and Goode) and Bach's Art of Fugue (although I'm not sure if this counts, because they are of different instrumental forces: one is for string quartet, and the other is for piano solo).

It counts if you say it counts. 8)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jut1972 on August 13, 2013, 07:25:59 AM
+1.
2nd best pop song of last 20 years. .. hit me baby one more time is  #1 by the way.

>:D

Unpopular indeed  :D

These are all better:

SOPHIE B. HAWKINS   AS I LAY ME DOWN  1994
STONE ROSES   LOVE SPREADS  1994
HEATHER NOVA   WALK THIS WORLD  1995
SMASHING PUMPKINS   BULLET WITH BUTTERFLY WINGS  1995
ALANIS MORISSETTE   YOU OUGHTA KNOW  1995 
THE CONNELLS   '74-'75  1995
SMASHING PUMPKINS   TONIGHT TONIGHT  1996
DEANNA CARTER   STRAWBERRY WINE  1996
SUBLIME   WHAT I GOT  1996
SUBLIME   WRONG WAY  1997
JEWEL   FOOLISH GAMES  1997
TONI BRAXTON   UN-BREAK MY HEART  1997
FLEETWOOD MAC/STEVIE NICKS   LANDSLIDE  1997
CHUMBAWAMBA   TUBTHUMPING  1998
NATALIE IMBRUGLIA   TORN  1998
MADONNA   FROZEN  1998
WILLIE NELSON with EMMYLOU HARRIS   I NEVER CARED FOR YOU  1998
GOO GOO DOLLS   IRIS  1998
BLONDIE   MARIA  1999
JOHN PRINE and IRIS DEMENT   IN SPITE OF OURSELVES  1999
THE CORRS   BREATHLESS  2000

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

modUltralaser

Sarge, none of those seem to be pop songs.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Philo (Artist formerly known as) on August 13, 2013, 11:01:32 AM
Sarge, none of those seem to be pop songs.

I heard them all on German pop radio stations. Maybe we just have superior pop...and superior radio  :D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

modUltralaser

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 13, 2013, 11:06:37 AM
I heard them all on German pop radio stations. Maybe we just have superior pop...and superior radio  :D

Sarge

Lol. For me pop is vapid and ultimately forgettable.