Unpopular Opinions

Started by The Six, November 11, 2011, 10:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: otare on August 29, 2013, 11:52:25 AM
You are probably right. I'm sure there are reasons for his poor performances on record. Let's just say that his recordings are not of a very high standard for whatever reason.

Yeah, the halo of the Tchaikovsky competition win seems to carry a lot of weight but there's still just Cliburn the man to consider.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

otare

And suddenly he redeems himself with a fantastic recording of Rachmaninovs 2. piano sonata. Rachmaninov was truly his soulmate.

jochanaan

What about Van's live performances?  Perhaps he's one of those musicians whose best work was done outside the studio... (I've never seen him in concert, and I'm trying to think if I've ever heard a broadcast of him playing live--none comes to mind...)
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: otare on August 30, 2013, 08:55:26 AM
And suddenly he redeems himself with a fantastic recording of Rachmaninovs 2. piano sonata. Rachmaninov was truly his soulmate.

:D

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Superhorn

People who are repelled by the supposed bombast and  egotism of Ein Heldenleben  are missing the point .  Few realize that it's actually a humorous and satirical work filled with in jokes .  In it Strauss poles fun at the  critics who were always trashing his music , and the  egotistical heroism is entirely tongue in cheek .

xochitl

i can never take gershwin seriously and his music bores me more often than not

sometimes i think handel was miles better than bach

i can't stand schumann's solo piano music

rachmaninov was a better melodist than tchaikovsky [and i adore tchaikovsky!]

frank zappa was one of the greatest composers of the 20th century

8)

Silk

Gershwin didn't write 'classical music' - his was music for the theater, essentially.  Just thought I'd mention that.

DavidW

Quote from: Silk on September 02, 2013, 03:38:31 AM
Gershwin didn't write 'classical music' - his was music for the theater, essentially.  Just thought I'd mention that.

Wagner and Verdi wrote music for the theater, I suppose they didn't compose classical music either? :-[

The new erato

Quote from: xochitl on August 30, 2013, 10:45:14 PM
i can never take gershwin seriously and his music bores me more often than not

Most of it was never meant to be taken "seriously"; neither was Mozart's Divertimenti, Strauss' waltzes or Haydn's symphonies. That doesn't make it lesser music.

The new erato

Quote from: DavidW on September 02, 2013, 04:01:30 AM
Wagner and Verdi wrote music for the theater, I suppose they didn't compose classical music either? :-[
They didn't write for the theatre, but for the opera. Maybe I'm nitpicking here, but for me there is a difference.

Sammy

Quote from: xochitl on August 30, 2013, 10:45:14 PM
i can't stand schumann's solo piano music

And here I am feeling that his solo music represents Schumann at his best. 8)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Sammy on September 02, 2013, 12:37:39 PM

Ditto.

Parsifal

Quote from: Sammy on September 02, 2013, 12:37:39 PM

No contradiction if he hates Schumann's other works even more.

It has taken me some effort to come to appreciate Schumann's piano music, although it was clear from the beginning that the solo piano works were the his more original and distinctive.

xochitl

just wanna clarify i really like schumann's chamber and orchestral music

the piano stuff just sounds to me like a crazy person flying free

Opus106

Quote from: xochitl on September 02, 2013, 11:41:39 PM

That's the nub. ;)
Regards,
Navneeth

The new erato

Quote from: xochitl on September 02, 2013, 11:41:39 PM
That's what makes it so great. The best artists often aren't the most normal people. That's the nub as Opus106 said.

TheGSMoeller

Schumann's best work is Frauenliebe und Leben, not sure if that qualifies as unpopular, but it's my opinion.  :)

dyn

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 03, 2013, 02:39:22 AM
Schumann's best work is Frauenliebe und Leben, not sure if that qualifies as unpopular, but it's my opinion.  :)

I have fond memories of that work, it being the first time (that i can recall) that a piece of music moved me to tears... although I don't seem to actually have a recording of it at present... hmm. Should change that.

Florestan

Quote from: The new erato on September 03, 2013, 12:06:02 AM
That's what makes it so great. The best artists often aren't the most normal people. That's the nub as Opus106 said.

+1.

On topic: Schumann's best work is the first of the Three Romances for Oboe and Piano op. 93.  ;D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

max

Since Vivaldi composed the same concerto six hundred times according to that illustrious genius of the 20th century Igor Stravinsky, I've memorized all his concertos in 3 movements...even the ones I haven't heard and found it amazingly stimulating compared to all it variety found in Igor.

It's the perfect example of making the most out of the least in V's case as compared to making the least out of the most. I always prefer "economy" in music.