Unpopular Opinions

Started by The Six, November 11, 2011, 10:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jochanaan

Quote from: epicous on January 19, 2014, 06:52:47 AM
Today classical musicians can not improvise on their instruments as the past instrumentists did.
Some of us can! But I didn't learn to improvise in music school, but by improvising.
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Florestan

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 21, 2014, 11:38:03 AM
So do me and the boys  8) ...especially his K.331  ;D

My first reaction to it was "The guy's fucking outta his minds!'

My second reaction was "Well, one can play it this way too, after all!"

My third and final reaction was "That is fucking great, actually!"

(Please excuse my French  ;D ).
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Jay F

My unpopular opinions:

1. I don't like Haydn, Mendelssohn, or Debussy, nor a lot of the Music That Meanders I mistake for Debussy when I hear it on the radio.

2. Brendel plays a lot of my piano favorites. I don't find him BrenDULL at all.

3. My favorite Beethoven piano sonateur -- is this a word? -- is Paul Lewis, who allowed me to hear this music for the first time, something Gilels, Arrau, and Kempff were unable to do 30 years ago. I like Schiff's, too.

4. My favorite Beethoven String Quartets are by the Emersons. I previously liked the first Lindsay series a lot, and the Juilliards on LP before those, and more recently, the Takacs, though I can't say I actually listened to the Takacs much once I put them on the shelf. I listen to the Emersons a lot, OTOH, as I did with the Lindsays in the '80s. I think this music transcends the "My favorite version kicks your favorite version's ass" concept that attaches to a lot of classical music. Just as I've never heard a bad Mozart Piano Concerto, I can't think of a version of Beethoven's SQs I haven't wanted to listen to. Of course, I haven't heard most of them.

Pat B

Quote from: Jay F on January 27, 2014, 08:03:25 AM
3. My favorite Beethoven piano sonateur -- is this a word?

It is now.

Brian

Right as I type this I'm listening to Brendel play the final movement of Schumann's Fantasy in C, Op. 17. It's probably my favorite performance of this movement; luminous, slow but not indulgent, a nocturne.

kishnevi

My unpopular opinions:

1. I don't like Haydn, Mendelssohn, or Debussy, nor a lot of the Music That Meanders I mistake for Debussy when I hear it on the radio.

Boo! Hiss!
Although there is some truth to the term "Music that meanders"--it's just that IMO Debussy knew when to meander and how far he could go on meandering.

3. My favorite Beethoven piano sonateur -- is this a word? -- is Paul Lewis, who allowed me to hear this music for the first time, something Gilels, Arrau, and Kempff were unable to do 30 years ago. I like Schiff's, too.
Full agreement on Number 2.  I do like Lewis and Schiff, although I'm not sure I would call them my favorite recordings of the sonatas.  Of course, I'm not sure I have a favorite recording of the full cycle. 
Given Lewis' relationship to Brendel, it's not surprising that if you like Brendel you will like Lewis.  Are you familiar with his Schubert?
4. My favorite Beethoven String Quartets are by the Emersons. I previously liked the first Lindsay series a lot, and the Juilliards on LP before those, and more recently, the Takacs, though I can't say I actually listened to the Takacs much once I put them on the shelf. I listen to the Emersons a lot, OTOH, as I did with the Lindsays in the '80s. I think this music transcends the "My favorite version kicks your favorite version's ass" concept that attaches to a lot of classical music. Just as I've never heard a bad Mozart Piano Concerto, I can't think of a version of Beethoven's SQs I haven't wanted to listen to. Of course, I haven't heard most of them.
Sort of agreement here: I do have some recordings of the quartets that I prefer to others, but usually not by a huge amount, and I too can't think of a quartet recording I have actually disliked--which also describes my attitude to the piano sonatas.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 27, 2014, 05:32:35 PM
Boo! Hiss!
Although there is some truth to the term "Music that meanders"--it's just that IMO Debussy knew when to meander and how far he could go on meandering.

I find his meandering better considered than some other composers' purposeful travel itineraries . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

jochanaan

Quote from: karlhenning on January 28, 2014, 05:41:10 AM
I find his meandering better considered than some other composers' purposeful travel itineraries . . . .
Word.
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Gurn Blanston

My unpopular opinions:

I am still trying to figure out if you are accusing Haydn of meandering. You would be the very first one I ever heard of!  :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sanantonio on January 28, 2014, 10:11:29 AM
Relax, Gurn, he was only referring to Debussy as the Meanderer -

he calls him the Meanderer, the Meanderer, he roams around, around, around.

;)

Oh, I wasn't upset, just puzzled. Grammatically puzzled, I suppose. If there is someone who doesn't meander, it's Haydn!   :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Madiel

This thread keeps inspiring me to go listen to some Shostakovich. And buy more of his symphonies.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

RJR

Quote from: madaboutmahler on November 15, 2011, 07:58:37 AM
How?! Taking Mahler for example - he wrote no solo music, but (here is another what may be unpopular opinion)
MAHLER IS THE GREATEST COMPOSER OF ALL!

I am sure many of you will disagree with me, and hopefully some will agree as well. But this is a view I definitely believe!

haha :) I could talk to anyone who loves Mahler for many hours! :) I am fascinated by his collection - which complete cycles does he have? Don't suppose you could upload a photo of it to one of the 'cd collection' threads here?
Glad that you will still listen to Mahler too! The Bartok/Boulez set is resting in my amazon basket at the moment, after the move from the wishlist. Looking forward to hearing it.
Mahler?!
Bull Shit.

Karl Henning

Seinfeld isn't that great.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Seinfeld is far from great.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: karlhenning on February 15, 2014, 03:57:23 AM
Seinfeld isn't that great.

I like Seinfeld, but I don't think it's aged very well. Now every once in a while I catch a Cheers episode, and I feel as if that show could make it on today's TV.

Karl Henning

I should probably watch some Cheers . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: karlhenning on February 15, 2014, 04:18:04 AM
I should probably watch some Cheers . . . .

I used to watch that show all the time, Shelly Long was good, but Kirstie Alley was a great companion to Ted Danson's Sam. Great friction, and chemistry.

Karl Henning

If that show on DVD is not at the BPL, I'll make one of my sisters into chowder . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 15, 2014, 04:16:49 AM
I like Seinfeld, but I don't think it's aged very well. Now every once in a while I catch a Cheers episode, and I feel as if that show could make it on today's TV.

I never cared much for Cheers, so we're all different. My favorite sitcoms are Seinfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond, Frasier, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Wings, and Becker.

Ken B

Schubert's Trout quintet is lousy.

Shostakovich's preludes and fugues are his best music.